Super League Show on BBC

22 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Why don’t SL say to the BBC they can only have the highlights if they show it nationwide and not at stupid o’clock. Have it on BBC 1 at 9pm or something like that

Probably because if we do that they will just say sod it we'll not bother. Why give them an excuse to ditch it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

43 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Why don’t SL say to the BBC they can only have the highlights if they show it nationwide and not at stupid o’clock. Have it on BBC 1 at 9pm or something like that

Good idea for a petition. Could ask them to play the National anthem on the hour, every hour too. 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Some of us remember the campaigning it took to get the show shown outside the North at all. Then the further push to have it shown at a regular time, instead of somewhere between 3 and 5 in the morning, after several hours of 'Pages from Ceefax'.

We also remember the lies and obfuscation that we encountered along the way. Peter Salmon, thankfully, is no longer a factor, but there are still obstacles.

If anyone wants to take it further, remember the Hippocratic Oath and the phrase "first, do no harm”. Charging headlong into an abusive and paranoid tirade to the Beeb will not help at all - possibly the opposite.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Mr Plow said:

True, but the RU pay Channel 5 to show premiership highlights, would it be worth doing that? 

We haven't got two halfpennies to rub together, good luck with that one.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

23 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

SL seem to be spending more money on marketing and hiring new staff though

So lets stop doing that and pay Channel 5 to show something the BBC already show for nowt.

9 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

You want the best primetime slot on the main channel? Even match of the day doesn't get that treatment. Nothing wrong with being ambitious, but you might have to set your sights just a tad lower for the time being. 

On 2/5/2019 at 5:58 PM, Mr Plow said:

You far too easily pleased.  Maybe insist they show it 3 times a week straight after Eastenders and Phil Mitchell has to wear a Catalan Dragons shirt in every episode.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:58 PM, Padge said:

We haven't got two halfpennies to rub together, good luck with that one.

Nonsense. We hold all the cards in his negotiation. 

The BBC aren't going to be able to fill their schedules without us.

Threaten to withhold our content and they'll soon cave in.

People called Romans they go the house

On 2/5/2019 at 8:05 PM, Hullfan said:

It's the worse highlights programme of any sport I've ever seen, sl full time is way better, do people still watch BBC? 

Yes, sadly that is not far off the mark. I do wonder what their women's football highlights are like, not that, like 99.99% of the sentient public, I am not remotely interested in women's football. 

Match of the Day is vaguely objective, but our prog is just anodyne.  Comments fron the "panel" rarely cut to the chase.  Have they ever looked at tje full games first?  Plus the highlights are far too short to be of much use and give no feel for the actual game.  This week the added bit of video on the referees away day was totally pointless. That segment can easily be cut each week.

The prog. can be recorded on a freeview etc box, so the times ought not be an issue.  But... its better than nothing.  Hmmm.... isn't it?

Freeview record only works in the areas that it is broadcast, therefore it is only recordable in the North in HD, the rest of us civilised people have to wait until the Lunchtime BBC2 version, or iPlayer, although the programme content is rubbish, too much reliance on Players verdicts, which are nonsense or openly biased.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:46 AM, MrPosh said:

Nonsense. We hold all the cards in his negotiation. 

The BBC aren't going to be able to fill their schedules without us.

Threaten to withhold our content and they'll soon cave in.

That is fantastic. Though they will of course miss us when we are gone, and the Russians cut their gas off. 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:06 AM, Rupert Prince said:

Yes, sadly that is not far off the mark. I do wonder what their women's football highlights are like, not that, like 99.99% of the sentient public, I am not remotely interested in women's football. 

The fact that show is shown nationwide first of all, despite there be no teams in many parts of the country, is odd when the SLS, as poor as it is, is hidden away.

• 10 months later...

The last Forty20 podcast suggested rumours that SL were unhappy with the BBC show as its terrestrial output

Got to say I agree and I hope they change it. I've said it before but the Channel 5 RU show is an excellent format. Two presenters host from a different ground each week. I like Tanya but we need two new presenters. Preferably at least one not with a northern or Aussie/NZ accent (not Claire Balding) 

Also. A super league produced magazine show is happening this year. Not highlights or game build up but a personality led programme. They suggested it would be for SKY but paid for by SL clubs

Lets hope they both happen

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The last Forty20 podcast suggested rumours that SL were unhappy with the BBC show as its terrestrial output

Got to say I agree and I hope they change it. I've said it before but the Channel 5 RU show is an excellent format. Two presenters host from a different ground each week. I like Tanya but we need two new presenters. Preferably at least one not with a northern or Aussie/NZ accent (not Claire Balding) 

Also. A super league produced magazine show is happening this year. Not highlights or game build up but a personality led programme. They suggested it would be for SKY but paid for by SL clubs

Lets hope they both happen

I completely agree regarding the BBC show. It’s on at about twenty past midnight in London. It needs a better time slot. 

As for the magazine show, I hope it’s not a funded version of that Rugby AM, that’s horrific and Wayne Godwin is not funny. Jenna Brooks needs to be the face of it, for me, she comes across very well, is knowledgable on the sport, young and without wanting to sound non-PC is a woman, rather than the show being a bunch of old, northern men. 

Archived