Sub 13,000 tickets for MW sold

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Haha I actually dont. I find it very strange but have no idea why it would be the case.

My only real guess would be that this board skews old and as is general in the world at the moment the older generation are desperate for it to be 1976 again whatever  the cost. But logically it makes no sense that fans of clubs who have struggled during the SL era arent the most vocal in support of drastic change and trying new things and are instead it's most vocal opponents.

well as an oldie... no way do I want to go back to any period in the 70's.... maybe i'm only one but maybe not.... I'm all for change when its an improvement.

All for trying new approaches... but for me magic misses the mark now... although I don't know what its trying to do... do tend to go but not this year.

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Magic is a TV product sky love it not just because it's cheaper to produce but it has something of a hook. Something they can advertise. It's an event and that's what sky want. 

It's not my favourite thing but it serves that purpose pretty well.

I can see it from a Sky perspective... although they may rethink if viewing figures follow what seems to be a diminishing in interest. 

Then again I have no idea what viewing figures are compared to normal round over Thursday, Friday and Sunday (Cat), etc

13 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

"It'd sell out if the Bulls were there." is a theory I imagine is thought by some of the RL media.

Only from those who conveniently forget that it didn't sell out when the Bulls were at the Magic Weekend.

On 29/04/2019 at 17:10, Cdd said:

On a serious note what is the magic weekend even for anymore? Other than an easy money spinner because they know the usual crowd will turn up.

I’d sooner have 4 big games on one day and actually pack out a stadium with no tickets left. 

Wakefield v Cas

Leeds v Warrington

FC v KR

Wigan V Saints

Sell it out and create a highly successful one day event.

At the moment it’s just a moderately successful 2 day event for which the novelty is dying out. 

I’ve been to every single magic weekend and it would be miles better if the stadium was actually full for a day. 

Which stadium will sell 70,000 tickets to equate to the gates for these 4 games? How will SL clubs benefit more from a single days games miles away from their fanbase when the RFL struggle to sell tickets for £20 for 2 days worth of matches?

BIN IT OFF, stop making up an extra needless fixture that does more damage elsewhere in terms of diluting derby games and having fans spend a load more money travelling to places like Newcastle

13 minutes ago, Moove said:

I know quite a few Everton and United fans who are refusing to go purely because it's Anfield. A sad indictment of football mentality but not entirely surprising. Not really a problem at Cardiff or Newcastle.

The same sort of people that probably voted for Brexit and then complain that there are loads of Asians in the UK.

1 hour ago, parklandswolf said:

Sales at Warrington seem to be doing well... "Magic Weekend sales through the club have now surpassed our total figure for last year. "

To be honest it would be a poor effort if they didn't sell more for a game that's less than 20 miles down the road than for one that was four hours drive away!!

44 minutes ago, M j M said:

How does it make a profit? Cities actually BID for it - they and the stadia pay SL for going there.

But surely once costs are taken into account, and any profit is split between the 12 clubs and the RFL, then the amount anyone makes is negligible .

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

But surely once costs are taken into account, and any profit is split between the 12 clubs and the RFL, then the amount anyone makes is negligible . 

Given the amounts cities bid based on the economic impact I don't think so. Not sure the RFL have any involvement.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Given the amounts cities bid based on the economic impact I don't think so. Not sure the RFL have any involvement.

Have you links to the amounts? The only things I have ever seen don't particularly indicate huge amounts.

11 hours ago, Moove said:

I know quite a few Everton and United fans who are refusing to go purely because it's Anfield. A sad indictment of football mentality but not entirely surprising. Not really a problem at Cardiff or Newcastle.

I would have liked it to stay in Newcastle seeing as they already have a Championship 1 team as holding the MW again there can only boost our presence there even more.

10 hours ago, Damien said:

Have you links to the amounts? The only things I have ever seen don't particularly indicate huge amounts.

Not seen the amount, but Newcastle reported it was worth £5-6m to the local economy. So some fraction of that.

It's a success story I don't see any reason to swap it for 9s. Should be creating new events, not changing this one.

11 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

To be honest it would be a poor effort if they didn't sell more for a game that's less than 20 miles down the road than for one that was four hours drive away!!

I disagree.  I went to Cardiff, Edinburgh and Newcastle for the experience of being somewhere new for a weekend away, mixing with fans of all clubs. Liverpool is a very short train ride away and holds little interest as a "mini-break" style destination for people from Warrington. The fact that most Wire fans won't stay over and make a weekend of it also devalues it for me.

We need to revisit the whole concept and ask ourselves what its purpose is now.

27 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Not seen the amount, but Newcastle reported it was worth £5-6m to the local economy. So some fraction of that.

It's a success story I don't see any reason to swap it for 9s. Should be creating new events, not changing this one.

I know about economic benefits, they are the figures always quoted for sporting events to sell an event. That is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the cold, hard cash that Rugby League receives from bids for the magic weekend.

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

I know about economic benefits, they are the figures always quoted for sporting events to sell an event. That is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the cold, hard cash that Rugby League receives from bids for the magic weekend.

I know that's what you meant, I don't think they are released but do believe they will be reasonable give the above. 

23 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It's interesting to see the correlation that those none too keen on magic are also against 9s are also more reticent about expansion, are usually fans of a traditional club, arent in favour of things like an expanded WCC etc 

Not making a comment on that just an observation

just to throw your cat into some pigeons.. 

I love Magic but think this year is not going to be as good.. still going though as its a weekend away with my old uni RL mates and is a good weekend for that

I hate 9s always have, dont find it interesting or different enough, played it a good few times and didnt find it that much fun (also played union and union 7s and the 7s game was much more different to the 15s than 9s is to 13s)

Want expansion

fan of both a traditional team (due to my home town club not being in Super League and my grandparents coming from said traditional area and supporting the team) and an expansion team in my home town

dont want an expanded World Club Challenge as think it should be developed into a "super bowl" style end of season game to crown the worlds best of that season.. 

where do i fit in? (the answer BTW is normally "not here" when i ask that question :kolobok_fie:)

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think there is a difference to what you are saying and the correlation im talking about. There is a difference between not being a fan of something and being actively against it. 

For instance, an expanded WCC could take many forms. My point isn't really the format that It can take but the acceptance and willing to see the benefits of more cross-hemisphere games being created as big events. If that's merging the comps as two conferences of the same comp, just a superbowl style game at the end of the year, a champions league type thing is largely a matter of preference. 

But there are people who say we should scrap what we have, replace it with nothing, have no interest in watching us play the best in the world and are actively against us trying to build that type of event(s). Those people are generally also against expansion, want P+R, don't like magic, expansion etc etc etc. 

You can generally tell from peoples positions on those things what their feelings on the other things will be. 

to be fair i think most of us would just classify the people with those views as.... 

wait for it.... 

I found the image this morning so i'm going to keep using it as much as possible... and the term seems to be growing on people... 

go on you'll like this... 

spacer.png

On 29/04/2019 at 19:20, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The Magic Weekend is just under a month away and I think everyone knows it’s not going to sell-out, so there is no need to buy tickets well in advance for this, so the figure will seem low a good 4-5 weeks till the event. 

Let's be honest, we all know the drill by now. There's no FOMO to force you to buy early, nor is there benefit to buying early when we all know full-well that the only trick in the SL/RFL playbook to stimulate slow sales is discounts and GROUPON offers. 

The sport has made a rod for it's own back by cheapening these sorts of events. 

On 30 April 2019 at 11:21, scotchy1 said:

It's interesting to see the correlation that those none too keen on magic are also against 9s are also more reticent about expansion, are usually fans of a traditional club, arent in favour of things like an expanded WCC etc 

Not making a comment on that just an observation

I think there is still a large number of fans keen on Magic,just not one in Liverpool.

Archived