How not to market a game

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we sometimes take ourselves too seriously. This is a small sports club doing something cheap that has picked up a bit of coverage, not sure the guy's efforts needs to be ripped too much. 

This is the kind of thing you would see in football at smaller clubs and may appear on the likes of Soccer AM and be treated far more positively.

18 hours ago, Oxford said:

How not to market a game

I thought, given the title, the thread was going to involve a potted history of the RFL and their marketing arm :

Julie who also does the Teas, the cleaning and the night security, Cyril on the Bontempi typewriter and Bob who waits next to the landline for sponsors to phone him.

Genius

20 hours ago, Oxford said:

How not to market a game

I thought, given the title, the thread was going to involve a potted history of the RFL and their marketing arm :

Julie who also does the Teas, the cleaning and the night security, Cyril on the Bontempi typewriter and Bob who waits next to the landline for sponsors to phone him.

So Political Correctness is responsible for the RFL's marketing failures.

In my day it would have been Cyril on night security, Bob on the landline, and...

Julie on teas, cleaning and typewriter. 

The problem with our sport is not videos like this.......and how professional they are or are not........it's that stuff like this is a novelty open to criticism.  In this day and age we should be seeing 100s of videos like this (good and bad) across our sport on social media every weekend.  The problem is we don't.....and when someone has a go he gets ridiculed for it.

FAN TV is massive in football now and basically costs nothing to do.........RL just doesn't have enough fans interested enough to do it

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

So Political Correctness is responsible for the RFL's marketing failures.

In my day it would have been Cyril on night security, Bob on the landline, and...

Julie on teas, cleaning and typewriter. 

Yes and it was all sepia and cosy too!

That Andy Pandy was a star and a half as well!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

The problem with our sport is not videos like this.......and how professional they are or are not........it's that stuff like this is a novelty open to criticism.  In this day and age we should be seeing 100s of videos like this (good and bad) across our sport on social media every weekend.  The problem is we don't.....and when someone has a go he gets ridiculed for it.

FAN TV is massive in football now and basically costs nothing to do.........RL just doesn't have enough fans interested enough to do it

Hear hear! 

If this was such a bad promotion how come it's got a separate thread on this forum that has now extended to two pages?

Good on the kid for keeping his message simple and concise.

In promoting games sometimes a bit of authenticity can go a long way.

20 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

If this was such a bad promotion how come it's got a separate thread on this forum that has now extended to two pages?

Well said Martyn.

Perhaps as said elsewhere some of the people who criticize him should see how good they are in front of a Camera

On 06/05/2019 at 20:51, Number 16 said:

Cringe-worthy. This is pure comedy. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks this can 'sell' the game needs his bumps felt.

Dewsbury Rams video.

On 06/05/2019 at 23:32, Oxford said:

How not to market a game

What do you do to promote your clubs home games?

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

What do you do to promote your clubs home games?

What has that got to do with anything?

Club on a shoestring budget has a fan willing to stick his neck out and give it a go.

What the hell is wrong with that.

The way this is going he could become an internet big hitter, its hits that count, not how you get them. A lot of hits means a lot of promotion and a lot of potential ad revenue depending how you you have delivered it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I think it’s great!! 

Well done for him having a go.

What ever you start you always start at the beginning and improve from there.

Communities need more people like this.

If the guy who made the footage is reading this, keep going, keep improving and keep having fun. You have my 100% support!

On 06/05/2019 at 14:51, Number 16 said:

Cringe-worthy. This is pure comedy. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks this can 'sell' the game needs his bumps felt.

Dewsbury Rams video.

Compare this marketing to Toronto Wolfpack’s. They are in the same league. That’s why expanding the game, rather than sticking with the same old dead wood, is the right thing to do. 

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 16:28, Oxford said:

Yes and it was all sepia and cosy too!

That Andy Pandy was a star and a half as well!

I knew he was a star, but I didn't know he was a half as well. Was he and acting half? Who for? 

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

I knew he was a star, but I didn't know he was a half as well. Was he and acting half? Who for? 

You saw the bear, if ever there was a case of being over promoted, The same with Bill and Ben. I mean  Oscar winning performance were never on the cards, were they?

On 06/05/2019 at 15:51, Number 16 said:

Dewsbury Rams video.

This just sums up Rugby league , a game stuck in the past and so out of date it’s quite unbelievable! There is so many examples out there of how to this correctly and people wonder why the game is stagnating and retracting.

tolerating this type of thing will only hasten the downfall of the game , hopefully Elstone and his team can drag the game up from its dreadful situation!

I had the opportunity to go to my first ever premiership football game 2 weeks ago to watch Leicester v Arsenal , what a great experience it was ; kids zones, fan zones , great build up to the game, great sound system to play music that created a party atmosphere! Amazing big screen experience showing goals from the past 20 years on the screen . All in all a fantastic experience even for an old anti football guy like me!!

My last experience of corporate hospitality at a RL game was with the guy I look at for this mess , Nigel Wood ! He asked for a plate of sandwiches that took 60 minutes to arrive ; when they finally arrived they were handed to me by hand ! I suppose a plate is too much to ask?

if that is how the top of the game looks you can understand why so many clubs are failing desperately.

On 10/05/2019 at 13:12, Martyn Sadler said:

tend to agree.. it isnt as good as it could/should be for a club in the second tier of a "major sport" (that we all think RL should be), but we dont have the money of a "major sport" and so the second tier really does have to work on very very limited budgets.

The only criticism I would make is that it is just him standing infront of a camera and that it would be great if he could be more of a "voice over" with some clips to be shown at points too (with him also infront of camera because he really wasnt that bad). It just always looks a bit awkward IMHO to have someone just standing there for 30-40 seconds talking to a camera.. a bit of movement etc just breaks it up. But i am sure he is getting some constructive feeback from people who know and they will get better and better and fair play for him for doing it. 

44 minutes ago, iangidds said:

This just sums up Rugby league , a game stuck in the past and so out of date it’s quite unbelievable! There is so many examples out there of how to this correctly and people wonder why the game is stagnating and retracting.

tolerating this type of thing will only hasten the downfall of the game , hopefully Elstone and his team can drag the game up from its dreadful situation!

I had the opportunity to go to my first ever premiership football game 2 weeks ago to watch Leicester v Arsenal , what a great experience it was ; kids zones, fan zones , great build up to the game, great sound system to play music that created a party atmosphere! Amazing big screen experience showing goals from the past 20 years on the screen . All in all a fantastic experience even for an old anti football guy like me!!

My last experience of corporate hospitality at a RL game was with the guy I look at for this mess , Nigel Wood ! He asked for a plate of sandwiches that took 60 minutes to arrive ; when they finally arrived they were handed to me by hand ! I suppose a plate is too much to ask?

if that is how the top of the game looks you can understand why so many clubs are failing desperately.

Agree, Leicester v Arsenal in the Premier League is a completely reasonable yardstick with which to measure the marketing and matchday experience of Dewsbury v Halifax.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived