3 Aug: SL: Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves (Merged Threads)

Who will win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/19 at 16:00

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

On the Wembley game this will be one game I am glad not to attend the Warrington, Saints and Widnes fans will create a toxic atmosphere were it will require the beeb to play the game with no sound.

May be tempting fate here, but the Widnes fans are at the same end as Saints fans and in 40+ years of watching Widnes/Saints games I've never seen any trouble. I doubt there'll be any problems inside the stadium.

4 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Maybe but the two players did two high tackles and hence the 2nd high shot of each Warrington player should seen them yellow/red carded ... one of whom should have been off... sin-binned at least.  Thats the only criticism of the ref I would have.

But that isnt any kind of rule is it? Not that I am aware of. I think each offence is just judged on their own merits.

Not saying he shouldn't have carded anyone btw.

Just now, Dave T said:

But that isnt any kind of rule is it? Not that I am aware of. I think each offence is just judged on their own merits.

Not saying he shouldn't have carded anyone btw.

yep.. you are correct, no rule... 

10 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I was allowing myself to be swayed by other comments instead of saying what I really thought... I should have said I thought he had a reasonable game....

Refs jobs are made harder by us fans... as we complain if he acts authoritarian and punishes every thing... as we want the game to flow... plus we like a little bit of biff.. mistakenly but many do... I mean its a "mans" game and over sanitized nowadays... I mean bring back the shoulder charge, etc etc

The refs job is made harder by the players/coaches (not the fans) and the top brass not enabling them to officiate properly, the game would flow better if the officials took a stand and actually penalised the hell out of the games because teams and indeed coaches would have to change their actions otherwise they would lose every game

2 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

This is where the RFL/Ganson are letting the officials down, they are not enabling the officials to stop this and other carp instantly.

Anyone other than captain back-chatting, penalty, back chat again, 10 minutes in bin. Swearing 1st offence, 10 mins, swearing at official 2nd time red card AND a team warning.Don't care if teams are down to 8 players or it makes the game look a farce. If you want to stamp this out you have to punish and punish from minute one of the 1st match of the season and keep on that till the last whistle of the GF and keep it going every game, every season from top to bottom.

Similar for other incidents of foul play/deliberate 'professional' fouls.

can many players articulate without swearing... although I do agree with you... jolly hockey sticks....

The Wembley finals will need careful management for sure. One set of fans are going to be absolutely gutted, and if that is Warrington, Widnes fans aren't going to resist some banter. Let's hope it stays at good natured stuff. Hopefully this is a bit of a wake up call for those planning cup final day.

Just now, Scubby said:

The Wembley finals will need careful management for sure. One set of fans are going to be absolutely gutted, and if that is Warrington, Widnes fans aren't going to resist some banter. Let's hope it stays at good natured stuff. Hopefully this is a bit of a wake up call for those planning cup final day.

Majority of Widnes fans are in the opposite end to Warrington

Apart from this one of course ?

1 hour ago, Hvy wg said:

Wire fans broke into the terrace. 

Unlucky they were, as they found actual rugby league players including Ben Pomeroy at the top. 

On the video, it looks to me like he is one of the people throwing glasses at Warrington fans. I suggest Catalans will be in a great deal of trouble if it is indeed one of their players.

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

can many players articulate without swearing... although I do agree with you... jolly hockey sticks....

yes they can, education level or whatever is no excuse, I've never sworn at a ref/touchie no matter how wrong I thought they were and I ALWAYS said 'sir' if I did make a comment. Adding sir to 'you're a bit of a blind C###' doesn't however cut it?

1 hour ago, Celt said:

It was a bit like a (vastly) scaled down version of you Hull fans trashing the stadium on semi final day back around 1999.

Well, thanks very much for that. Unlike you, I wasn't trying to score points as I hadn't seen it, I simply asked what happened.

Sheesh. ☹

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Actually I liked it when the ref penalised the Warrington player... shock/horror for moving off the mark, although it could have been for holding on to the Catalan players arm.... and effectively the two points i=from in front of the post effectively ended the game.

I suspect that annoyed the fans a touch and was part of the feeling hard done by through no doubt some of their booze hotheadedness...  but I am pre-judging and possible incorrect...

Just now, Spidey said:

Majority of Widnes fans are in the opposite end to Warrington

Apart from this one of course ?

It seems upper tiers and walls are no match for Wire fans :kolobok_ph34r: 

Seriously, if Saints are 20 points up, with plenty of time left, Widnes fans will be singing their hearts out! ? 

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

May be tempting fate here, but the Widnes fans are at the same end as Saints fans and in 40+ years of watching Widnes/Saints games I've never seen any trouble. I doubt there'll be any problems inside the stadium.

I don't  think Saints and Widnes fans have the same sort of rivalry as with Warrington.  I hope I am totally wrong with my thoughts on Wembley just that a few hours drinking can bring the worst out in some.  At least Widnes play later so their fans will be in the ground for maybe 2 hours later.  Enough time for many Wire or Saints fans to already have left the area hopefully event free.

2 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

yes they can, education level or whatever is no excuse, I've never sworn at a ref/touchie no matter how wrong I thought they were and I ALWAYS said 'sir' if I did make a comment. Adding sir to 'you're a bit of a blind C###' doesn't however cut it?

I totally agree with you... but for many of the fans at game I attend swearing is a natural part of language... not sure why but it seems ingrained in some... but thats another topic for another day

not the refs fault this it was always on hills constant moaning from the very first tackle birds constant shi---ness a lot of high strung players who think they are entitled to win every game in both teams made this a tinderbox.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

6 minutes ago, my missus said:

not the refs fault this it was always on hills constant moaning from the very first tackle birds constant shi---ness a lot of high strung players who think they are entitled to win every game in both teams made this a tinderbox.

Another one eyed view. There was a lot of other people who contributed to what happened. 

49 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's not the refs fault that the players lost control of themselves, nor that there was trouble in the stand. I think it's quite reasonable ( but a forlorn hope) to expect the players to act as adults. As for who actually was responsible, and which team was at fault, well, it wasn't us...it was them.   

Spot on. It wasn't us. Even the most one-eyed will have trouble blaming it all on Wigan for once. 

27 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Another one eyed view. There was a lot of other people who contributed to what happened. 

err is that not what i said?

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Kenny Edwards is a moron. 

Be interesting to see what fines are doled out after the crowd trouble. Looked ugly. 

Said that last year in CC semi when he the ball directly at kids but no punishment and fans from other sides thought it was sour grapes. 

Archived