Sign in to follow this  
Roy Haggerty

Toronto Love (Merged threads)

1 minute ago, TIWIT said:

SBW obviously hasn't arrived yet. Just look for a Labrador.

found him... he looks a bit fed up though, obviously still waiting for the actual contract to turn up to be signed :kolobok_ph34r:

spacer.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kayakman said:

NOPE...DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE OR ANYTHING BUT NOPE...NO THANKS.

Listen our time is now!...look at the side we are putting together for the next season...

1.  The backs are strong with O'Brien SL level at fullback....Kay and Russell on the wings are adequate and the centers are strong (with depth).

2.  Halfbacks Okay with the potential to do better...all good tacklers though.  Might need a signing in here someplace.  Want speed.

3.  The pack needs some muscle...I figure one or two very strong straight running props....the fellows already there will compliment them...just need to keep it moving forward and the backs will do the best...we need some more muscle in there though to be able to pound them if need be.

I think we have a good shot at top five...if we make a couple of more signings (on deals right now) we might actually blow alot of teams out.

Some are thinking we should put all of eggs in one basket and go for the Challenge Cup next year and also a top 5 spot....Canadians will understand this, "Make it a finner."

-its the Canadian way*

ap 

SL is far harder K-Man, you will get injuries which you have not had much of, even the best and luckiest SL teams can play down to numbers 30 odd and even 40 during the course of the season. Your paper thin squad will be tested to the limit. The Easter revision has done you a massive favour but I would imagine you would want to be out of the cup very early. 

The model TW are following , whilst getting one or two or even three exciting players, is unsustainable under the current regulations. Unless the cap is scrapped or massively altered Toronto will struggle and continue to struggle to get squad depth. You do not have "junior" players on "low" wages which all SL clubs do and whom they do call on. You are no doubt up to cap with SBW, Leutele, Lussick (all marquee, so 2 at £150k and one will now have to count at £175k at minimum) , Wilkin (stated it was his highest ever contract), Thompson, Stanley, McCrone et al hence the interest in non cap Union men. If an injury crisis hits then what..?? Dispensations will no doubt be sought. Your lowest earners are the former Leigh players. When the current squad men need replacing, which will be soon,  you are going to have to somehow expand the squad whilst juggling the cap. Good luck with offering SL standard players 40 or 50K  per year to come and play when one guy is on that per week .

Going to be a highly interesting season.

Edited by Marty Funkhouser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Good luck with offering SL standard players 40 or 50K  per year to come and play when one guy is on that per week .

Agree with most of what you say, but I honestly can't fathom the bit above.

It doesn't happen anywhere else. Do Goldman Sachs struggle for  minimum wage cleaners? Are Man Utd turned down regularly by folk who'd prefer to be on the same money at Rochdale?

Would have thought the presence of SBW would be an attraction to prospective players. It would be to me.

Edited by dixiedean
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Agree with most of what you say, but I honestly can't fathom the bit above.

It doesn't happen anywhere else. Do Goldman Sachs struggle for  minimum wage cleaners? Are Man Utd turned down regularly by folk who'd prefer to be on the same money at Rochdale?

Would have thought the presence of SBW would be an attraction to prospective players. It would be to me.

Equating SL level players, some likely (or will probably have to be) better than the current TW players, to minimum wage office cleaners...they will be queuing up for your agency services.  

1 minute ago, Marty Funkhouser said:Equating SL level players, some likely (or will probably have to be) better than the current TW players, to minimum wage office cleaners...they will be queuing up for your agency services.  

Don't be ridiculous. I was merely pointing out that plenty of people are employed where they earn in a year what others in the organisation do in a week. Is there something particularly different about RL players that makes that fact a barrier?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Balmain1969 said:

Holmes apparently wouldn't count as he is a recruit from the NFL

- New Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year.

- Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year.

Holmes would count. Ben Teo would have 50% count for his first year. 

55 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

SL is far harder K-Man, you will get injuries which you have not had much of, even the best and luckiest SL teams can play down to numbers 30 odd and even 40 during the course of the season. Your paper thin squad will be tested to the limit. The Easter revision has done you a massive favour but I would imagine you would want to be out of the cup very early. 

The model TW are following , whilst getting one or two or even three exciting players, is unsustainable under the current regulations. Unless the cap is scrapped or massively altered Toronto will struggle and continue to struggle to get squad depth. You do not have "junior" players on "low" wages which all SL clubs do and whom they do call on. You are no doubt up to cap with SBW, Leutele, Lussick (all marquee, so 2 at £150k and one will now have to count at £175k at minimum) , Wilkin (stated it was his highest ever contract), Thompson, Stanley, McCrone et al hence the interest in non cap Union men. If an injury crisis hits then what..?? Dispensations will no doubt be sought. Your lowest earners are the former Leigh players. When the current squad men need replacing, which will be soon,  you are going to have to somehow expand the squad whilst juggling the cap. Good luck with offering SL standard players 40 or 50K  per year to come and play when one guy is on that per week .

Going to be a highly interesting season.

Its a challenge... no doubt...no doubt.

I'm not sure that Wilken said that though....

The supporting cast is going to be the key to the whole thing.   Must stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Your lowest earners are the former Leigh players.

You might be surprised , one ' former ' who was loaned out last year is still a Toronto player who was their 1 at ' marquee ' player 😉

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'm not sure that Wilken said that though....

The supporting cast is going to be the key to the whole thing.   Must stay healthy.

He said it on the BBC...and I know his old man...

Matty Russell is on a few quid as well. Not many "low" earners at all hence the skinny squad. Toronto will push and push for the cap to be scrapped or altered or for special dispensations. I'm not a big salary cap fan but the sport in the UK , as it stands, cannot afford the sudden Toronto inflation and I cannot see the other SL chairmen seeing it TW's way.

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

- New Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year.

- Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year.

Holmes would count. Ben Teo would have 50% count for his first year. 

When they say "true value", what's that supposed to mean exactly, shouldn't it say paid salary or some-such to be more precise? SBW true value is very likely to be far less than TWP are paying, they should base whatever his true value is for the SC, it's certainly less than what they are paying him!

A bit silly/pedant but people using superfluous words grinds me sometimes, what's the point including "previously" in the returning TPD statement when you have the word "prior" already in the sentence, it tells you (minus previously) that the rule pertains to anyone not having played RL in the previous 5 years. Even the sentence structure is ugly.

29 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

It's now been reported that Isreal Folau might sign for TWP

Source?

3 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

He said it on the BBC...and I know his old man...

Matty Russell is on a few quid as well. Not many "low" earners at all hence the skinny squad. Toronto will push and push for the cap to be scrapped or altered or for special dispensations. I'm not a big salary cap fan but the sport in the UK , as it stands, cannot afford the sudden Toronto inflation and I cannot see the other SL chairmen seeing it TW's way.

We will just have to make due with what we have then....official news on the Sonny Bill signing and the Wolfpack website crashed due to interest.

We need to give more marquess signings if you don't want to raise the cap.

See. This is the point. Almost everyone off contract, Union or League is now going to be linked. Constant publicity year round. They don't have to sign any of them. Just know they can. 

Puts the wind up Union too. Bonus.

• Like 4

Top story on NRL.com. Who knew they had heard of SL? Also top sports story in Sydney Morning Herald.

Likewise.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

We will just have to make due with what we have then....official news on the Sonny Bill signing and the Wolfpack website crashed due to interest.

We need to give more marquess signings if you don't want to raise the cap.

7 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Just another minor obstacle on our way to SL dominance....no stopping us now (if there ever was)....I'll say it again....

"Toronto Wolfpack is currently the hottest club in rugby (either code) period (.)"

Edited by Kayakman
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kayakman said:

Just another minor obstacle on our way to SL dominance....no stopping us now (if there ever was)....I'll say it again....

"Toronto Wolfpack is currently the hottest club in rugby (either code) period (.)

Yes, clubs like Wigan.Leeds and Bradford have been there, you are nowt different, other than you have no structure. Just a wallet.

18 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Yes, clubs like Wigan.Leeds and Bradford have been there, you are nowt different, other than you have no structure. Just a wallet.

Not just any wallet...a big, fat overflowing wallet that just keeps getting bigger and fatter....increase the salary cap....how are we supposed to spend all of this cash with a salary cap??????  Its piling up over here and we have no idea what to do with it.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 1

A truly forward looking club would build on SWB's signing by pouncing on a marquee signing of their own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Not just any wallet...a big, fat overflowing wallet that just keeps getting bigger and fatter....increase the salary cap....how are we supposed to spend all of this cash with a salary cap??????  Its piling up over here and we have no idea what to do with it.

But you can't spend anymore..Hence Mr Noble requesting help. There does come a point where you have to go with what you have.