Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Who would you choose to be relegated from SL?

13 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

This is actually a very good argument tbh

Bradford certainly got fans from other clubs

Did they though? How do you know that?

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Not in Leigh,but understandable given the whole Rugby League world is against them,Apparently.

Well why would you put milk on your cereals when you've got a can of special brew right next to it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Did they though? How do you know that?

have a look at any bradford thread on here.  they have been accused of it ad nauseum

Just now, aj1908 said:

have a look at any bradford thread on here.  they have been accused of it ad nauseum

Ah right, must be true then. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ah right, must be true then. 

so everybody is slagging them for something that never happened.  ok 

23 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

so everybody is slagging them for something that never happened.  ok 

Everybody? 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

LEEDS best supported team through the turnstiles the figures are testament to that, also worst supported team in terms of demographics i.e. the local populas % of Leeds who care to go.

Cities are naturally different to towns for several reasons, not least migration to the city from the region around it. % becomes much less important when the raw figures are high enough.

Nevertheless I think we have had the discussion before about being blood and soil types with loyalty to clubs. Not everyone is, hence the drop off after a relegation or bad run of results and the upturn associated with success. Whilst most actual active loyalties towards clubs are formed around late teens and into adulthood, as people go independently to games without being taken by a parent for example, the nucleus of support is often made at a much younger age. This explains both why you and I would support our teams how we do, and why a lad who's father supports Wakefield but son wants to go watch the Rhinos could go on to do too; just as happens in football and every other sport. 

By the logic you've been suggesting, Leeds would have gained absolutely zero support from the fans (or former fans or potential fans) of Hunslet or Bramley. Of course this is both obviously and demonstrably false. It is reasonable to assume that Leeds now probably have more fans "south of the river" and into Wakefield than Hunslet ever had for example, as well as pushing north towards Harrogate. Do they all turn up at Headingley every week? No they don't have to! 

Loyalty is an interesting topic. Blind loyalty is rare and perhaps dangerous to one's pocket - emotionally charged support is more common I'd suggest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

But didn't you say only the other day, that you had no particular club you support so to speak. That being the case the 'loyalty' thing will not effect you  so how on earth can you have an understanding of it?

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Good , as I said , I don't enter into discussions if I don't have any understanding of the subject , certainly not without accepting my limitations at the start 

🤣🤣🤣 Fair play fellas - you've fished me back in with those classic comments. Priceless! I'm learning all about loyalty from people who say they'll stop supporting their club if they can't get promoted to Super League - that's outstanding loyalty right there! And one of you is refusing to go and support the national team because you don't like the coach!!! Phenomenal loyalty! Remind me to make sure that I've got a pair of loyalists like you either side of me when it's time to go over the top of the trenches!

I'm off to go and learn about loyalty now, because evidently I've been operating under a different definition all these years...

• Like 1

On Tuesday, January 07, 2020 at 14:48, Spidey said:

Warrington - may help them win a Grand Final

Nicely back on topic Spidey and I would have been disappointed if any Chemics fan said different.

• Like 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

On 05/01/2020 at 17:07, Mr Plow said:

Yeah I agree with you about Huddersfield which is a shame as it’s the birthplace of the game. I wonder what would happen if they were relegated, would they still be able to play out of the John Smiths? 

Yes as they are part owners of it !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Yes as they are part owners of it !

Weren’t there talks of Town buying the stadium outright not long ago?

Edited by Mr Plow

27 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Weren’t there talks of Town buying the stadium outright not long ago?

Only from ignorant town fans who were under the impression it was 'their ground'.

No party can purchase other shares without the agreement of the other's, it will never happen though as the shares are too valuable and all 3 parties need each other.

Saying that i and most of our fans don't like it and would love our own place, unfortunately this will never happen either.

• Like 1

I would say Ken Davy owns a share of the stadium and thats not quite the same thing as the Giants owning it, Fair play to him he did own 60% of it but allowed 40% of it to go back to Town too stop them whinging i suspect, Anyway most people would choose them to be relegated it would seem , mostly on the grounds of them having poor crowds, Far as i know they don't have the poorest crowds , they just look to have with the stadium being so big,  some people hate the stadium and prefer the clapped out grounds of some clubs, fair enough  you like what you like.

The one thing you can say for Ken Davy is he has stayed the course, There can't be many owners who have pumped as much money into a club for as little return as he has,  although we have won the hubcap which is more than a lot of clubs have, and been to the CC final a couple of times , still who cares, get him and his club relegated who cares how much money he puts in if the crowds don't look too good on TV .  Having said all that if they don't pick their game up from last season they will be down no matter what people on here would prefer.

• Like 1

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

All I ask is that the team with the smallest number of points gets relegated and replaced by the best team in the Championship.

Pretty basic for any sport - but ours has managed to fail that simple test of its credentials too often in the past.

• Like 5

On 06/01/2020 at 20:35, OZWELDO said:

Giants seem to be favourite for everyone to be cast aside to bring in a different team, New York maybe?

Reason poor attendances (Giants averaged more than both Wakey and Salford last year (3000 more than Salford!!)

They offer nothing to RL however played more homegrown youngsters last season than any other SL team!!

The Giants fans are all hero's, its so so easy to follow a team who have and are winning stuff but not so a team that last won a major trophy over 50 years ago!!!

Have a look at pictures of Fartown in the early days when Huddersfield were succesful and you will see a proper crowd.

Poor atmosphere, went to Warrington, Hull, Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Wakey and many more last season and if booing and begging for penalties is the atmosphere your after your welcome to it. Give me a cowbell and proper unblinkered rugby fans everyday of the week. 

The sleeping Giant (birthplace of the game) will awaken in the not so distant future, mark my words 

It's fashionable to bag Huddersfield on RL forums OZ, always has, we could win the grand final 5 years running and post 10,000 crowds every week and we'd still get bagged.

All this "bring nothing to the game" claptrap is really tedious too.

We "bring" far more than other teams do, we've had far more success than others have and we've also developed far more players than others have!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

It's fashionable to bag Huddersfield on RL forums OZ, always has, we could win the grand final 5 years running and post 10,000 crowds every week and we'd still get bagged.

We "bring" far more than other teams do, we've had far more success than others have and we've also developed far more players than others have!

Nah. If you were winning and posting 10k, you'd be treated like the other winners with 5 figure crowds. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, meast said:

Personally I don’t think HG bring anything less to the sport than the likes of Wakey and Cas, I just prefer seeing and hearing plenty of fans in the stands when I’m watching a game on tv than loads of empty seats (yes I know your crowds are comparable to theirs). 

15 hours ago, meast said:

your crowds have fallen quite a lot.  cas get better crowds playing in a far poorer stadium.  the soccer team gets decent crowds too.  wakeys crowds are similar to yours, again in a poor ground.  i dont know what ken davy can do, hes tried everything to get fans there

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 11:53, Eddie said:

Personally I don’t think HG bring anything less to the sport than the likes of Wakey and Cas, I just prefer seeing and hearing plenty of fans in the stands when I’m watching a game on tv than loads of empty seats (yes I know your crowds are comparable to theirs). 

You mean like Wigan or Hull, both who played games in front of half empty grounds with no atmosphere last season?

The giants have taken a kicking of everyone since SL began for one reason or another - cant win, no away fans, no home fans, cowbell - despite the fact it's generally ###### and lead by lazy journalists and tv pundits who are well past their sell by date.

The giants have a way better track record than half the clubs in SL and this thread is an example of how far up their backsides most so called fans have their heads. 

Rant over.

On topic. P&R is the death of the game. It benefits absolutely nothing to the league and does nothing but consolidate the best players in a few clubs which kills competition. 

Get rid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ant said:

You mean like Wigan or Hull, both who played games in front of half empty grounds with no atmosphere last season?

The giants have taken a kicking of everyone since SL began for one reason or another - cant win, no away fans, no home fans, cowbell - despite the fact it's generally ###### and lead by lazy journalists and tv pundits who are well past their sell by date.

The giants have a way better track record than half the clubs in SL and this thread is an example of how far up their backsides most so called fans have their heads. 

Rant over.

On topic. P&R is the death of the game. It benefits absolutely nothing to the league and does nothing but consolidate the best players in a few clubs which kills competition. 

Get rid.

Yeah exactly like Wigan and Hull last season. Not sure how you think getting rid of P&R will improve competition though?

12 minutes ago, Ant said:

Rant over.

Get rid.

Surely you can't honestly be putting Wigan and Hull on the same level as Huddersfield can you? 

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Rant over.

Get rid.

I do feel you have a point Ant , all clubs ' contribute ' in different ways , yes you suffer for playing in a ' too big ' stadium , but a very good stadium , you produce players and have ' won ' the league , something several others haven't 

As for your last point , you're entitled to that opinion , and I sort of agree , but to achieve it you cut the dreams of clubs below you , do you believe that to be fair ?

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Rant over.

Get rid.

So get rid of P&R so the likes of Huddersfield Giants are ring fenced and stuff the rest in the Lower Leagues.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

So get rid of P&R so the likes of Huddersfield Giants are ring fenced and stuff the rest in the Lower Leagues.

This is why just ring fencing what we have is so questionable. Some teams will always be up there at the top table but Huddersfield just happened to be in when the music stopped. We have about a dozen teams who could be as big or as good if they happened to be in Super League.

• Like 4