Jump to content

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

10k watching in south of France

9k watching Second division in Toronto

How many went a low level game in bristol at the last home world cup?

 

How many got bring 3 mates for nowt tickets,or have a couple a beer tokens on the TWP.stick a dozen craft beer tents in any stadium(inc odsal) and get some flyers out and it will boost the gates,leave them open come game day and its one big massive crowd/ beer festival. worked well for TWP.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

We didn't need Toronto to prove that 

But the bottom line is you can't put teams in places where nobody cares 

What you've always called for could only operate as a TV only comp 

So tell me which broadcaster is going to stump up the money for it ?

Toronto isn't a place where nobody cares, the Wolfpack created an audience for themselves just like the Blue Jays, Raptors and Toronto FC before them.

Not TV only but definitely TV-friendly.

No single broadcaster would ever stump up the money by themselves, but with the right broadcast strategy one might line up several broadcast partners who'd stump it up between them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

10k watching in south of France

9k watching Second division in Toronto

How many went a low level game in bristol at the last home world cup?

 

Funnily enough the Bristol game was heavily marketed by Joe , a Leyther living in Exeter , but that was a one off International 

But you've quoted 2 teams abroad , where are you basing the ones replacing Salford,Saints,Warrington, Wigan ,CAS,Hull,HKR,Wakey,Huddersfield ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Funnily enough the Bristol game was heavily marketed by Joe , a Leyther living in Exeter , but that was a one off International 

But you've quoted 2 teams abroad , where are you basing the ones replacing Salford,Saints,Warrington, Wigan ,CAS,Hull,HKR,Wakey,Huddersfield ?

So people away from the heartlands do care then and will watch?

Maybe you should take a leaf out of Joes book and support growth and just see what can be acheived!!!!!!!!!!!

Toronto should be in and have a level playing field but that was never going to happen and RL prove to be a small time charlie sport yet again

Edited by yipyee
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

As much as I’m no fan of either Leeds or Saints I think Hetherington and McManus are possibly the only UK SL execs with a vision beyond their own club, they might not want a 10 team contracted comp, but are likely to get outvoted.

The cynic in me says Hetherington only sided with the Wolfpack because of his dislike for Elstone.

 

But im in a cynical mood tonight

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, silverback said:

How many got bring 3 mates for nowt tickets,or have a couple a beer tokens on the TWP.stick a dozen craft beer tents in any stadium(inc odsal) and get some flyers out and it will boost the gates,leave them open come game day and its one big massive crowd/ beer festival. worked well for TWP.

All clubs have offers to boost crowds, pretty sure Championship clubs had free to attend games.

Top SL clubs also give free tickets away.

 

Its amusing you see beer tents etc as a negative, if it boosts crowds why dont the failing clubs with low attendances try this or other inventive ideas to boost crowd numbers???

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Funnily enough the Bristol game was heavily marketed by Joe , a Leyther living in Exeter , but that was a one off International 

He was a development officer who a year before the fixture was laid off by the RFL. His promotion work was paid for part time by the local council. We never learn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Ok so let’s play along and take this at supposedly face value... Toronto was “non-strategic and added no material incremental revenue to Super League in the short or medium term”.

So there is a strategy then? And presumably this new 12th club will bring added material revenue? Well why doesn’t Mr Elstone enlighten us all on this? Oh, of course he can’t because it’s just a crock of **** words with no basis in reality.

So because they didn’t think that they would make money in the short term and had to wait long term then they weren’t worth bothering with?

Oh and of course there is enough sports in Canada as it is so let’s not bother because of that as well 🙄.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

So because they didn’t think that they would make money in the short term and had to wait long term then they weren’t worth bothering with?

Oh and of course there is enough sports in Canada as it is so let’s not bother because of that as well 🙄.

Its laughable isn't it. We have clubs here thats struggle to make half of Toronto's average that don't even have any direct competition and a whole heap of Rugby League history.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah well, we’ve decided we don’t want a Rugby League presence in the 4th largest city on the North American continent and some people are suggesting that Featherstone, Featherstone ffs should replace the Wolfpack.

Says it all to me, small game, small minds, zero ambition. 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Ah well, we’ve decided we don’t want a Rugby League presence in the 4th largest city on the North American continent and some people are suggesting that Featherstone, Featherstone ffs should replace the Wolfpack.

Says it all to me, small game, small minds, zero ambition. 

We actually agree, this is amazing!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

We actually agree, this is amazing!

It won’t last 😂😂😂

  • Haha 1

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Ah well, we’ve decided we don’t want a Rugby League presence in the 4th largest city on the North American continent and some people are suggesting that Featherstone, Featherstone ffs should replace the Wolfpack.

Says it all to me, small game, small minds, zero ambition. 

Sorry Phil, never never land doesn't exist.

As I said elsewhere, why not have the best 12 teams in the top league, then at the end of the season the 12th best and 13th best team swap places.

A bit radical, but he ho.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just come onto the thread and have no appetite for reading the last 15-20 pages or so.

9-4 is a big ‘No’ to their readmission so as I believe in a democracy I have no issue with the vote, just saddened that what I saw as a golden opportunity to break out of the ‘heartlands’ has failed.

So I hope to God that Elstone and all the other clubs that voted against TWP have some great ideas as to how to move the game forward.  But I fear that it will be the same old thing trotted out again.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel sorry for Toronto and their fans in Canada as I enjoyed the games against them in the championship.

I don't think this is the time for posters to be having digs at smaller teams etc. Especially if Toronto aren't their primary team. 

The Toronto fans were always very respectful to teams such as Batley and Featherstone and there was mostly goodwill. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Well its a sad day for Wolfpack fans but so be it.   I hope SL gets its act together and survives the current problems.  Good luck to you all!

Thank you for your always kind comments about Batley, Hunslet etc. 

It's a shame you can't play in the championship again as there were some great games in the 2 seasons you were there. The super 8s were good also.

I think maybe the size of the city meant you would always need to be looking at super league. Also Covid has been such a life changer.

I hope something can be sorted in the future and we will maybe see you back at Batley. 

Please keep posting as you are always very interesting.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just come onto the thread and have no appetite for reading the last 15-20 pages or so.

9-4 is a big ‘No’ to their readmission so as I believe in a democracy I have no issue with the vote, just saddened that what I saw as a golden opportunity to break out of the ‘heartlands’ has failed.

So I hope to God that Elstone and all the other clubs that voted against TWP have some great ideas as to how to move the game forward.  But I fear that it will be the same old thing trotted out again.

We know there won't be a plan. Elstone will fall on his sword if need be and things will continue as is.

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Niels said:

I feel sorry for Toronto and their fans in Canada as I enjoyed the games against them in the championship.

I don't think this is the time for posters to be having digs at smaller teams etc. Especially if Toronto aren't their primary team. 

The Toronto fans were always very respectful to teams such as Batley and Featherstone and there was mostly goodwill. 

 

It's a really disappointing aspect of this. Fev seem like the popular target as if it's Fev's fault they have been kicked out or the choice was Toronto or Fev. Plenty of people to blame here, 'smaller', better run clubs shouldn't be the target of people's frustrations.

Edited by Tex Evans Thigh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's been a good three years and I have had fun watching TWP. However, I am doing the only thing I can do now and voting with my wallet.

I've cancelled my Sportsnet NOW subscription (Canadian provider who carries Super League) and let them know it's because of this decision.

It's Watch NRL App for me from here on out and I won't be following Super League any longer.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disappointing, but not surprising. LiVolsi came across like a con man to be honest, no interest in the sport and a desperate last minute play to keep the club going. Such a shame at yet another missed opportunity. The sport can't keep going in these endless cycles, lessons have to learned, but they won't.

Questions:

- Why have the RFL, the games governing body, got no more say in the make of SL than Wakefield or Salford?

- If SL isn't commercially or strategically viable in Canada, why wasn't this assessment done when Toronto were entered into the system? Or even when it was clear they were going to win promotion at some point?

- Why do we have two governing bodies completely at odds with each other?

- How come incumbent clubs in a division can vote on who joins the league, isn't there a conflict of interest here?

- If the clubs decide to retain 11 teams, are we just admitting defeat as a sport?

- Why do people throwing their toys out of the pram at this decision keep blaming Fev and Leigh for trying to be the best they can be as if it's their fault Toronto were managed like a students night out.

- How is it possible for 'sports business leaders' to think that there are no commercial or strategic benefits in having a team in the top division from Toronto?

- What now happens to Ottawa and NY? Are they banned from ever entering SL because its not viable?

- Do Toronto drop to the Championship and play there? Can they? 

- How long before Union pitch up in Toronto and make a decent go of it?

- When is Parksider coming back? 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

It's been a good three years and I have had fun watching TWP. However, I am doing the only thing I can do now and voting with my wallet.

I've cancelled my Sportsnet NOW subscription (Canadian provider who carries Super League) and let them know it's because of this decision.

It's Watch NRL App for me from here on out and I won't be following Super League any longer.  

I’m currently in the process of moving from Vancouver to the Okanagan and have to say this will be my plan to, as my RL fix can be easily satisfied by the better quality NRL.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Disappointing, but not surprising. LiVolsi came across like a con man to be honest, no interest in the sport and a desperate last minute play to keep the club going. Such a shame at yet another missed opportunity. The sport can't keep going in these endless cycles, lessons have to learned, but they won't.

Questions:

- Why have the RFL, the games governing body, got no more say in the make of SL than Wakefield or Salford?

- If SL isn't commercially or strategically viable in Canada, why wasn't this assessment done when Toronto were entered into the system? Or even when it was clear they were going to win promotion at some point?

- Why do we have two governing bodies completely at odds with each other?

- How come incumbent clubs in a division can vote on who joins the league, isn't there a conflict of interest here?

- If the clubs decide to retain 11 teams, are we just admitting defeat as a sport?

- Why do people throwing their toys out of the pram at this decision keep blaming Fev and Leigh for trying to be the best they can be as if it's their fault Toronto were managed like a students night out.

- How is it possible for 'sports business leaders' to think that there are no commercial or strategic benefits in having a team in the top division from Toronto?

- What now happens to Ottawa and NY? Are they banned from ever entering SL because its not viable?

- Do Toronto drop to the Championship and play there? Can they? 

- How long before Union pitch up in Toronto and make a decent go of it?

- When is Parksider coming back? 

This is a fantastic post, like you I had doubts about LiVolsi and his motives, but again have to question why we have clubs making such key decisions when they have vested interests. 
 

With regard to some of your other questions

I think NA is now dead for RL, Ottawa will almost certainly withdraw and NY seems to be even more fragile than TWP. RU will definitely step in, if they follow TWPs promotion and marketing they will be relatively successful.

Dropping to the Championship does not seem like an option, the clubs there don’t really want TWP, plus with Covid still around whose to say there will even be a Championship next year. Plus let’s say TWP did come back in the Championship, what happens if they win it? In fact I suspect that SL will now look to become a closed shop so no more P&R.

Totally agree that this is not Leigh and Fevs fault, in fact see my point above, this decision could end up hurting them too if SL seals itself off from the rest of the league.

Parky could be like Candyman, keep saying his name and he will return!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Hopefully a Championship/ L1 broadcasting deal will come along. You up for that? 

Why as fans are you not asking the club to start in champ or L1 again? The obvious backer was a weasel! Surely your club can regroup and play your games over here. 
 

Or has the money well and truly gone.

I think the concern may be that if TWP do regroup in the Championship (which would actually be my preferred option), what happens if they win it, could SL say no again, in which case it’s money wasted.

I actually do worry for you guys at Leigh, you are a great club, however I suspect that this whole sorry episode is going to give the existing SL clubs an excuse to close the door.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...