John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

The salary cap doesn't let you do that

Then how can union players being brought in on exemption not count on the cap in two years time?

If Gigot joins Toronto, then the club will have more French players than any Super League club other than Catalans. Toronto already has Gadwin  Springer and Hakim Miloudi.

Gigot will be a useful addition to the team because he is a better full back than the current Toronto incumbent, and a better centre than Chase Stanley, and a better stand off than either of the Toronto incumbents.

44 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Could he sign for Rochdale and go one DR/loan?

If TWP pays the salary, directly or not, it would not be in the spirit of the cap.

Whats the rule with long term injury leave? as we have Cunningham out for 6 months. Does his salary still count in the cap? Can he be replaced by a player being paid equal or less than him? 

Gigot seems to like part time contract, he could sign for 6 months, just saying.

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Then how can union players being brought in on exemption not count on the cap in two years time?

Different rules for ex RU signings

36 minutes ago, manu266 said:

If TWP pays the salary, directly or not, it would not be in the spirit of the cap.

Whats the rule with long term injury leave? as we have Cunningham out for 6 months. Does his salary still count in the cap? Can he be replaced by a player being paid equal or less than him? 

Gigot seems to like part time contract, he could sign for 6 months, just saying.

This is the best article I could find with a quick google.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/luke-gale-injury-castleford-tigers-2419012.amp

“Clubs have been able to seek dispensation for full season injuries occurred in pre-season since the beginning of the 2016 campaign.“

Edited by fevtom

Thanks, it's strict, stricter than other sports, it's neither a preseason nor a full season injury, so not sure they can ask for a dispensation here.

• Like 1

Gigot would be a good signing for Toronto Wolfpack.

I guess they might release Cunningham, who is out injured for 6 months to free up cap space.

Alternatively it could be Chase Stanley, who suspiciously is still waiting for his visa, despite having a visa to play last season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I guess they might release Cunningham, who is out injured for 6 months to free up cap space.

Alternatively it could be Chase Stanley, who suspiciously is still waiting for his visa, despite having a visa to play last season.

How would It free cap space up? They would have to pay him off which counts on the cap. Same for  Worthington.

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Does a trial count on the cap?

I believe he can play for one month or four games on trial. After that he would count on the cap. I am no expert so I am only repeating what I have been told.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He switched the type of visa he was applying for - ancestry visa. And now he's applying for a Samoan (I think) passport to get off the overseas quota (but still on the non fed trained quota) as they are full on that one. I'd say it was more shambles than suspicious.

3 posts removed. Come on...

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/18245647.toronto-wolfpack-sign-tony-gigot-trial/

Says he's signed for a trial.

No news from the twp although the article quotes Martin Vickers (UK business manager)

Who would have guessed it?

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Who would have guessed it?

Not me!  I was sure there was no cap space left.  If they have space for him they're either getting a hell of a deal or were slightly misleading with the cap claims

2 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Not me!  I was sure there was no cap space left.  If they have space for him they're either getting a hell of a deal or were slightly misleading with the cap claims

Its a trial so it don't count on the cap.

3 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

It might be suggested that Chase Stanley won't come and this has freed up space to sign 3 > 4 players. 

I really hope so.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Its a trial so it don't count on the cap.

The article says that Toronto have enough room under the cap to accommodate him as a signing thou....

2 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

It might be suggested that Chase Stanley won't come and this has freed up space to sign 3 > 4 players. 

I really hope so.

I feel for him, my experience with my wife is that visa issues can take over a year to resolve 

(I've got dual citizenship so my life's been easy going for mobility!)