RMBJ

Israel Folau (Merged threads)

You just can't over estimate to ability of SL to shoot itself in the foot can you?

Great opening weekend, with large crowds, a decent re-brand, all the hype over SBW and some great tries being scored. 

And then super-whinger Hudgell opens his big mouth and puts SL on the front page of BBC Sport for negative reasons...

• Like 15

Fair enough, really.

If sponsors do pull out or investors go cold on Super League citing the Folau signing, we’d all be saying Catalans have ruined things etc. Other clubs would be well within their rights to go after Catalans.

Whatever the whys and wherefores, Folau is toxic. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Fair enough, really.

If sponsors do pull out or investors go cold on Super League citing the Folau signing, we’d all be saying Catalans have ruined things etc. Other clubs would be well within their rights to go after Catalans.

Whatever the whys and wherefores, Folau is toxic. 

Money always talks. Given the choice between a moral stance and a financial profit I think I know which one a club chairman would pick.

We know Wigan were thinking of making Folau an offer ... and I wonder how many more were also considering it ? Probably some of those now complaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

People remember what they like to. I'm no supporter of Folau, but the same owner is happy to employ him in a senior role, and the RFL allowed him a testimonial! 

You hope when people dig further into things, they don't discover that, or actual convictions other Super League players have picked up along the way.

Absolutely. The criminal list in RL is pretty long.

Thought I'd better fact check myself anyway as the memory plays tricks. Turns out that not only did Hudgell only fine Cockayne for a racist tweet, he signed him again a few years later after finally sacking him for another off the field incident. Don't think you can really get much more two-faced than that.

Given his line of work though it's perhaps not surprising he's throwing threats to sue around.

• Like 4

Just now, Moove said:

Absolutely. The criminal list in RL is pretty long.

Thought I'd better fact check myself anyway as the memory plays tricks. Turns out that not only did Hudgell only fine Cockayne for a racist tweet, he signed him again a few years later after finally sacking him for another off the field incident. Don't think you can really get much more two-faced than that.

Given his line of work though it's perhaps not surprising he's throwing threats to sue around.

And if it did go to court I just wonder who's firm would handle the case ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

As I said on the original thread, it's just utterly ludicrous that Superleague doesn't have the power to block a signing in the name of protecting the brand of the competition. Folau's legal position is irrelevant, no player is entitled to a contract, and all signings should be at the discretion of the league. Pretty much every other major sports league has this power. The fact that SL doesn't shows what a weak organisation it is. A strong league commissioner must be the way forwards. 

So where do we stop? There are various players knocking about Super League with criminal records, should these be banned forever more too?

1 minute ago, Damien said:

So where do we stop? There are various players knocking about Super League with criminal records, should these be banned forever more too?

Exactly. It does appear that someone speaking about something is far more wrong than a person who physical assaults someone. It's just the current media topic and nobody wants to say anything against it in case they also get tarred with the same brush as the person who opened their mouth.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Money always talks. Given the choice between a moral stance and a financial profit I think I know which one a club chairman would pick.

We know Wigan were thinking of making Folau an offer ... and I wonder how many more were also considering it ? Probably some of those now complaining.

Are you trying to say Hudgell is doing this for his own commercial gain?!

Hull KR should now be charged for bringing the game into disrepute with this ridiculous statement

As above there are players who have done all sorts in the past who have/are still playing. Where is the line drawn.

Hull KR will not lose cash as a result of Folau. Local sponsors wont care and if anything they will gain from bums on seats when he comes to town. 

The game has made its views known and it seems clear that no further utterances will be tolerated. On that basis let him get on with playing and the media storm will blow over

Jealousy rather than moral objections is behind all of this.  

• Like 5

As a former litigation lawyer, I can tell you that claim would be nigh on impossible to get off the ground and the reserving all rights wording is as weak as my 3 year old's Ribena.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

I only say the words .... it's up to others how they interpret it ! 😉😉😉

All I’ll say is I went past his firm’s offices close to the Royal Courts of Justice the other day and I very much doubt he needs this Folau business.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

All I’ll say is I went past his firm’s offices close to the Royal Courts of Justice the other day and I very much doubt he needs this Folau business.

Maybe not himself but wheels within wheels ... and if he doesn't need the business why then bother to be in charge of a RL club ? Hardly a great profit-making enterprise are they ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Maybe not himself but wheels within wheels ... and if he doesn't need the business why then bother to be in charge of a RL club ? Hardly a great profit-making enterprise are they ?

Surely Hudgell is a classic ‘local businessman done good’ whose chosen to invest some of his millions into his beloved club, same as McManus, Moran, Guasch et al?

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Surely Hudgell is a classic ‘local businessman done good’ whose chosen to invest some of his millions into his beloved club, same as McManus, Moran, Guasch et al?

And respect to him for that , but seriously , he genuinely believes he might lose a sponsor due to another club signing a player ?

As pointed out earlier , all he has actually done is highlight it , again 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Possibly so but if he has put his own money into Hull KR and if, as you say, his firm might not need this Folau business, then why bother moaning anyway about a possible lack of income when it's all from the same pot ?

6 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Possibly so but if he has put his own money into Hull KR and if, as you say, his firm might not need this Folau business, then why bother moaning anyway about a possible lack of income when it's all from the same pot ?

I imagine it’s because he is concerned about potential loss of revenue for Super League (and therefore Hull KR) and - because he’s a very successful lawyer - a letter from him will carry more weight than from, say, Michael Carter. 

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I imagine it’s because he is concerned about potential loss of revenue for Super League (and therefore Hull KR) and - because he’s a very successful lawyer - a letter from him will carry more weight than from, say, Michael Carter. 

Could be ... but again it could be an alternative view of it too.

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Because he’s a lawyer he’s throwing potential litigation around to create the impression there’s actually something he could sue for. He won’t because there isn’t. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

And respect to him for that , but seriously , he genuinely believes he might lose a sponsor due to another club signing a player ?

As pointed out earlier , all he has actually done is highlight it , again 

I think you underestimate the potential impact the signing could have on the likes of 'The Drain Company'. They'd soon see their business waste away.

In a slightly amusing twist, Hull KR are sponsored by a Christian education provider named after the now ex-Archbishop of York who was very publicly against gay marriage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Because he’s a lawyer he’s throwing potential litigation around to create the impression there’s actually something he could sue for. He won’t because there isn’t. 

That’s a more credible theory than doing it for his own commercial benefit.

There isn’t anything to sue for yet but I do worry about the potential for this to affect revenue. I wouldn’t be shocked if action is taken against Catalans should there be a demonstrable hit related to the Folau signing.

Edited by Man of Kent

38 minutes ago, Moove said:

In a slightly amusing twist, Hull KR are sponsored by a Christian education provider named after the now ex-Archbishop of York who was very publicly against gay marriage.

I wonder if Hudgell is actually aware of one of his sponsors views. Not too far away from Folau’s opinion.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9045796/Dont-legalise-gay-marriage-Archbishop-of-York-Dr-John-Sentamu-warns-David-Cameron.html

• Like 2

Well, like it or not, Mr Folau’s actions in Aus led directly to a major ARU sponsor threatening to pull the plug. The RFL/SLE don’t have many major sponsors and little cash so they can’t really afford to lose any existing or potential sponsors. As regards other player’s indiscretions, none have the same global profile as Folau, therefore less likely to get sponsors agitated.

I would imagine it would be relatively easy to prove cause and loss if a major sponsor pulls out. The hard part will be pinning  liability on Catalan as the RFL/SLE have already said that their are no current rules that require any club to seek permission before signing a player. As long as there are no legal/immigration problems and no extant bans the player can be registered.

• Like 4