Tom Johnstone

Mr Plow

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why would you want to play an out and out winger in the centre position, for God's sake David you sound like Wayne Bennett I thought you were much better than that.  

Centre is probably the most technical position on the field, they control the wide defensive line, when to slide, when to go in early, when to hang back, send the winger back to field kicks, bring the winger in or tell him to stay out wide, and the offensive game they have to employ covers a multitude of disciplines which only the best can accomplish.

It has always puzzled me how and why so called very good coaches, see the centre position as a fill in, is it because in the modern game we have second row forwards who play out wide (seemingly permanently) it is assumed they can play centre, but the thing is they have a centre on the field who is doing all the organising for them, left on their own in that position either causes problems or shows up their inadequacies in that position, and the same can be said about Hardacre he is never a centre as long as he has a hole where the sun don't shine.

It was tongue in cheek Harry , but never mind 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK David I accept that, but it wouldn't be the strangest or daftest suggestion I have read on these pages and there has been more than one call for playing non centres in the 3 and 4 positions.

Anyway do you agree with me?

I do . As I say Harry square pegs in square holes 

hope he does well, wakefield have a track record of producing young players that look like they are gonna be superstars but injury never lets that happen, nigel wright and Michael Jackson for instance

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

19 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

hope he does well, wakefield have a track record of producing young players that look like they are gonna be superstars but injury never lets that happen, nigel wright and Michael Jackson for instance

Nigel Wright was probably of that type for sure although he'd already gone to Wigan by the time injury struck.  He's the only one I can think of to be honest.

Michael Jackson was signed on, ready made, from Hunslet.  Didn't his problems start when he got dog muck in a cut whilst playing at Headingley in an International game?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 09:43, Dunbar said:

I think the days of a wingers contribution to a game being dependent on his centres quality are gone.

Look at the Roosters last night, Tupou was one of their most effective and dangerous players and yet his centre Crichton was relatively quiet and certainly the least dangerous of the Roosters backline.

Good wingers find a way to impact the game.

Ironically given the conversation so far, Crichton is a second rower playing out of position in the centres. He's a great player, but not a centre

2 hours ago, Southstander13 said:

Ironically given the conversation so far, Crichton is a second rower playing out of position in the centres. He's a great player, but not a centre

Sydney definitely need to sort that position out ahead of the season. You can see why they were so keen to sign Josh Morris. Personally I'd have gone for Brett Morris in the centre and Hall on the wing, rather than have Crichton in the centre

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Sydney definitely need to sort that position out ahead of the season. You can see why they were so keen to sign Josh Morris. Personally I'd have gone for Brett Morris in the centre and Hall on the wing, rather than have Crichton in the centre

That could well be the solution when we hit Round 1 as Hall's return from injury is being targeted for the first round.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 23/02/2020 at 09:22, Harry Stottle said:

Why would you want to play an out and out winger in the centre position, for God's sake David you sound like Wayne Bennett I thought you were much better than that.  

Centre is probably the most technical position on the field, they control the wide defensive line, when to slide, when to go in early, when to hang back, send the winger back to field kicks, bring the winger in or tell him to stay out wide, and the offensive game they have to employ covers a multitude of disciplines which only the best can accomplish.

It has always puzzled me how and why so called very good coaches, see the centre position as a fill in, is it because in the modern game we have second row forwards who play out wide (seemingly permanently) it is assumed they can play centre, but the thing is they have a centre on the field who is doing all the organising for them, left on their own in that position either causes problems or shows up their inadequacies in that position, and the same can be said about Hardacre he is never a centre as long as he has a hole where the sun don't shine.

Did you play centre Harry? 

I've got misgivings about Percival.

He is a great broken field runner but (I think) he starved Regan Grace of ball by cutting inside most of the time (rather than giving Grace a run).

It always spoils my enjoyment of the game to see such attacking talent, being starved of quality ball. 

9 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

He is a great broken field runner but (I think) he starved Regan Grace of ball by cutting inside most of the time (rather than giving Grace a run).

It always spoils my enjoyment of the game to see such attacking talent, being starved of quality ball. 

Noticed similar when Tom Johnstone was outside Percival in the international game.  TJ didn't receive any ball from MP.  I just presumed at the time that MP was doing his mate Makinson a favour by default.  Fortunately TJ got ball from others with no agenda.  Silly me.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

12 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Isn't that a coaching issue Irish, if a team has a 'wasted' talent on the wing due to his centre starving him of possession the coach should advise him otherwise. Which brings me nicely around to Mr Bennett again when he played John Bateman in every game in the '17 WC inc the friendly against the CAS team, and he had Ryan Hall outside of him who got less passes than the 8 appearences than they played together. 

20 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Noticed similar when Tom Johnstone was outside Percival in the international game.  TJ didn't receive any ball from MP.  I just presumed at the time that MP was doing his mate Makinson a favour by default.  Fortunately TJ got ball from others with no agenda.  Silly me.

I’ve just watched the Cas game on YouTube.  I thought for an awful minute TJ had done his knee again.  I think he thought the same.

Then Arundel, which was first started by a really awkward tackle.  Eventually his knee went.  

Hampshire did well to play on fir the time he did with a broken jaw.

Nightmare for Chester.

18 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Isn't that a coaching issue Irish, if a team has a 'wasted' talent on the wing due to his centre starving him of possession the coach should advise him otherwise. Which brings me nicely around to Mr Bennett again when he played John Bateman in every game in the '17 WC inc the friendly against the CAS team, and he had Ryan Hall outside of him who got less passes than the 8 appearences than they played together. 

Yes of course it's a coaching issue.

If Grace didn't score the chances are very high, that Percival would get the ball back from him on the inside.

Percival's ego is the problem.

I'm sorry but I didn't get your point about Bateman/Hall, can you restate it?

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Yes of course it's a coaching issue.

If Grace didn't score the chances are very high, that Percival would get the ball back from him on the inside.

Percival's ego is the problem.

I'm sorry but I didn't get your point about Bateman/Hall, can you restate it?

He's just comparing Bateman to Percival - Both being players that rarely "pass" - Obviously with Bateman playing centre in the WC, he rarely ever got the ball outside him to Hall, he was just a passenger for a lot of the games.

Percival likes to cut back inside and not pass it out wide, so Grace/Percival and Bateman/Hall are very similar.

8 hours ago, Click said:

He's just comparing Bateman to Percival - Both being players that rarely "pass" - Obviously with Bateman playing centre in the WC, he rarely ever got the ball outside him to Hall, he was just a passenger for a lot of the games.

Percival likes to cut back inside and not pass it out wide, so Grace/Percival and Bateman/Hall are very similar.

The difference being Bateman is much better defensively.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

It's the type of images that Rugby League need to get going viral, fortunately theres not too much of Belle Vue in the picture to detract from the quality finish and potential impact.

It’s not Belle Vue that’s the problem in that picture, it’s the Hull fans expressions. If it was excited Wakefield fans that would make it...

f3gms4.jpg

Wonderful talent. Really hope he is fit and firing in the Autumn and the wider sporting public can see what he can do.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived