Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Manfred Mann

Should England play France as preparation for the series against Australia?

Recommended Posts

Would a game against France really be a useful preparation for the England series against Australia?

 

Here is what I think could be the strongest French team:

 

Mark Kheirallah (Toulouse)

 

Fouad Yaha (Catalans) Tony Gigot (Toronto), Hakim Miloudi (Toronto), Paul Marcon (Toulouse)

 

Stanislas Robin (Toulouse)

Theo Fages (St Helens)

 

Jason Baitieri (Catalans)

Benjamin Garcia (Catalans), Benjamin Jullien (Catalans),

Julien Bousquet (Catalans), Alrix da Costa (Catalans),  Remi Casty (Catalans)

 

InterchangeMickael Simon (Catalans), Romain Navarette (Wakefield), Antoni Maria (Catalans), Eloi Pelissier (London)

 

Reserves: Morgan Escare (Wigan), Bastien Ader (Toulouse),  Arthur Romano (Catalans), Gavin Marguerite (Catalans), Lucas Albert (Catalans) , Mickael Goudemand (Catalans), Gadwin Springer (Toronto), Lambert Belmas (Catalans), Paul Seguier (Catalans), Justin Sangare (Toulouse), William Barthau (Toulouse),

 

This team would consist of 9 players from Catalans, 3 from Toulouse, 2 from Toronto, 1 from St Helens, 1 from Wakefield, and 1 from London. The backs are a very talented combination. The forward pack is strong but almost wholly Catalans

The main problem is that several of the French forwards, including Remi Casty, have retired from international rugby league. There would have to be an attempt to persuade them to play if this was to be a competitive game. Otherwise some of the reserves listed, many of whom are very young, would have to be brought in.

Edited by Manfred Mann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and it should have been announced already.

  • Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Yes and it should have been announced already.

 

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes. Away. 

What they said.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Yes and it should have been announced already.

It should be an annual thing. Alternating between being in England and France and given more stature and standing than a Wednesday night in Leigh. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

 

What they said.

completely.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Nothing to be gained as prep for Australia other then the risk of injury in a noncompetitive game.

  • Sad 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Would a game against France really be a useful preparation for the England series against Australia?

 

Here is what I think could be the strongest French team:

 

Mark Kheirallah (Toulouse)

 

Fouad Yaha (Catalans) Tony Gigot (Toronto), Hakim Miloudi (Toronto), Paul Marcon (Toulouse)

 

Stanislas Robin (Toulouse)

Theo Fages (St Helens)

 

Jason Baitieri (Catalans)

Benjamin Garcia (Catalans), Benjamin Jullien (Catalans),

Julien Bousquet (Catalans), Alrix da Costa (Catalans),  Remi Casty (Catalans)

 

InterchangeMickael Simon (Catalans), Romain Navarette (Wakefield), Antoni Maria (Catalans), Eloi Pelissier (London)

 

Reserves: Morgan Escare (Wigan), Bastien Ader (Toulouse),  Arthur Romano (Catalans), Gavin Marguerite (Catalans), Lucas Albert (Catalans) , Mickael Goudemand (Catalans), Gadwin Springer (Toronto), Lambert Belmas (Catalans), Paul Seguier (Catalans), Justin Sangare (Toulouse), William Barthau (Toulouse),

 

This team would consist of 9 players from Catalans, 3 from Toulouse, 2 from Toronto, 1 from St Helens, 1 from Wakefield, and 1 from London. The backs are a very talented combination. The forward pack is strong but almost wholly Catalans

The main problem is that several of the French forwards, including Remi Casty, have retired from international rugby league. There would have to be an attempt to persuade them to play if this was to be a competitive game. Otherwise some of the reserves listed, many of whom are very young, would have to be brought in.

That team would be more competitive, but we have no jurisdiction over the French teams and squads, for the last few years those who could have put their hand up were more than happy to keep it in their pocket out of view, so the games that have been played have been no more than an opposed training session for the England team and a waste of money for the fans.

So for me unless there was some kind of commitment from the French I would say no, funnily enough before Catalan joined SL there was a lot of pride and commitment from the French player's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Would a game against France really be a useful preparation for the England series against Australia?

 

Here is what I think could be the strongest French team:

 

Mark Kheirallah (Toulouse)

 

Fouad Yaha (Catalans) Tony Gigot (Toronto), Hakim Miloudi (Toronto), Paul Marcon (Toulouse)

 

Stanislas Robin (Toulouse)

Theo Fages (St Helens)

 

Jason Baitieri (Catalans)

Benjamin Garcia (Catalans), Benjamin Jullien (Catalans),

Julien Bousquet (Catalans), Alrix da Costa (Catalans),  Remi Casty (Catalans)

 

InterchangeMickael Simon (Catalans), Romain Navarette (Wakefield), Antoni Maria (Catalans), Eloi Pelissier (London)

 

Reserves: Morgan Escare (Wigan), Bastien Ader (Toulouse),  Arthur Romano (Catalans), Gavin Marguerite (Catalans), Lucas Albert (Catalans) , Mickael Goudemand (Catalans), Gadwin Springer (Toronto), Lambert Belmas (Catalans), Paul Seguier (Catalans), Justin Sangare (Toulouse), William Barthau (Toulouse),

 

This team would consist of 9 players from Catalans, 3 from Toulouse, 2 from Toronto, 1 from St Helens, 1 from Wakefield, and 1 from London. The backs are a very talented combination. The forward pack is strong but almost wholly Catalans

The main problem is that several of the French forwards, including Remi Casty, have retired from international rugby league. There would have to be an attempt to persuade them to play if this was to be a competitive game. Otherwise some of the reserves listed, many of whom are very young, would have to be brought in.

Well, the last paragraph shows a cunning plan.

Amazing how Albert is always squeezed in.  It’s going to take some Coach to make them competitive and I don’t think it will be the current one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have Gigot at fullback. 

Even though I don't believe the French present enough of a test I'd still rather us play than not play especially with a new coach, new players coming in and new combinations 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if England should play France as preparation for the Australia series, but I definitely think that England should be playing France every year at some point. If you're serious about trying to develop other nations like France, Wales and Ireland, you've surely got to give their players and fans something to aim for and look forward to.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I don't know if England should play France as preparation for the Australia series, but I definitely think that England should be playing France every year at some point. If you're serious about trying to develop other nations like France, Wales and Ireland, you've surely got to give their players and fans something to aim for and look forward to.

France yes, but what is the point of playing Wales or Ireland, with a few notable exceptions they’re just made up of heartlands players with welsh/Irish grandparents. I’d rather see England play countries that are developing their own players. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I don't know if England should play France as preparation for the Australia series, but I definitely think that England should be playing France every year at some point. If you're serious about trying to develop other nations like France, Wales and Ireland, you've surely got to give their players and fans something to aim for and look forward to.

What’s the alternative? No game(s) and we go in without any game?

At least with a game against France, you get players out on the same pitch together and you can put into practice shape, tactics and get players who don’t play with each other, a bit more comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone managed to get to the root of why France don't really seem to be bothered about International RL? Until we can address that it's going to be difficult to progress...

I would have thought that a game in France, perhaps at the stadium where Toulouse now play (which might help give them a boost in their growth), against a full French team would provide a pretty decent test. Surely with plenty of notice (too late for this year, sadly) a crowd of 10-12K could be attracted, and it could be a worthwhile event.

With it now being March, and with Coronovirus as a factor, it's probably too late for this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

France yes, but what is the point of playing Wales or Ireland, with a few notable exceptions they’re just made up of heartlands players with welsh/Irish grandparents. I’d rather see England play countries that are developing their own players. 

I understand your point, but how is that ever going to change if those teams never play?

I understood that one of the reasons for disbanding/splitting up GB is to promote the individual nations. The rugby league administrators seem to want to include Scotland, Wales and Ireland at the RLWC, so surely if that's an aim, something has to be done to promote these nations?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I understand your point, but how is that ever going to change if those teams never play?

I understood that one of the reasons for disbanding/splitting up GB is to promote the individual nations. The rugby league administrators seem to want to include Scotland, Wales and Ireland at the RLWC, so surely if that's an aim, something has to be done to promote these nations?

It does but without significant youth systems in those countries what is the point, they’re never going to produce many players and will people from those countries even be interested if it’s just a load of Englishmen playing for them?

I would love to see the game grow in Wales, Scotland and Ireland, but I just don’t know what value their current international set ups have. Wales are possibly the exception as they do at least have a few Welsh players like Regan Grace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, england shouldn't play france as a warm up for australia.

They should play france because test matches are the pinnacle of the game and worth playing even if you expect to win

England should play france, wales etc because they are test match nations and international RL is bigger and more important than england beating australia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was interesting to hear Wane's views on the mid-season international on Back Chat this week. I got the impression that he didn't deem them important and prioritised more camps / meet ups.

That was quite disappointing to hear. I am also in the camp that a mid-season international should be a non-negotiable part of the calendar.


Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: Wigan vs Leeds 1998 Grand Final - Watchalong! - LINK: https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/04/tryline-blog-watch-along-3.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eddie said:

It does but without significant youth systems in those countries what is the point, they’re never going to produce many players and will people from those countries even be interested if it’s just a load of Englishmen playing for them?

Somebody had better let Tonga know they shouldn't bother then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eddie said:

France yes, but what is the point of playing Wales or Ireland, with a few notable exceptions they’re just made up of heartlands players with welsh/Irish grandparents. I’d rather see England play countries that are developing their own players. 

Wales have more than "a few" Welsh born players. They shouldn't be grouped in with Ireland (or Scotland) in that regard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...