Bateman quits Canberra at the end of the season

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was always going to end this way sadly. As I think @Dunbar pointed out - the issue here stems back to initial terms of his contract. It's one thing to say it can be renegotiated every year but if you don't have the means with your cap to do so then you're on to a raw deal from the off. On the flip side, it seems Bateman has allowed himself to be lead by this Moses character and had him believing he's worth A$ 800k+ a year - you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who is agreeing he is. Bulldogs might pay it because of the situation they're in but I reckon he'll be closer to 650k - 700k mark. Agreed with Batemen calling that journo out at the time but whether or not he actually asked for a release is semantics now - he is leaving which was the main headline and that's what people will remember and what IMO has made him not look so great coming out of all this. 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Maybe it was intentional....maybe I just noticed how that reads after you pointed it out. Guess we'll never know ?

To the promised land ... of some suburb in Sydney 

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

Bateman is entitled to do as he sees fit , and he’s done well enough to garner admirers , but after what Stuart and Canberra have done for him and how they were upgrading him to a “ very very good “deal  I’m not sure this is a good perception on Bateman and his manager . I’m a bit disappointed he’s leaving but that’s how it is

I’m genuinely interested to know what Stewart and Canberra have done for him?

He was a well established International player, winner of multiple titles and was earning good money at Wigan.

So quite what they’ve done for him I don’t know?

6 hours ago, barnyia said:

Maybe canberra isn't as appealing as Sydney or Queensland, he seemed to be enjoying the media side too. if you get the chance to play in Oz you may as well go to the nicer places if you can. 

Nothing wrong with Canberra, maybe a bit on the boring side but one of the cleanest cities I’ve been too!

The media is saying Bateman is on $580k at Canberra and knocked back an upgrade to $750k.

Bulldogs are apparently offering $2.3 million over 3 years. Just a fraction more per season.

8 hours ago, barnyia said:

Maybe canberra isn't as appealing as Sydney or Queensland, he seemed to be enjoying the media side too. if you get the chance to play in Oz you may as well go to the nicer places if you can. 

Sydney is horrible unless you are in very specific areas, and then it’s fantastic.

Canberra is a nice place. Great for an outdoor lifestyle and perfect for families.

If you’re young, dumb and full of money, Sydney can cause mayhem for some RL players. Without family around to ground them the risks are even higher.

Brisbane’s nice. Great place to live. 

10 hours ago, OMEGA said:

He was a well established International player, winner of multiple titles and was earning good money at Wigan.

Offered him more money than he was on at Wigan then offered him even more than that to stay.

Bateman has said he wants to earn as much money as he can in Australia but, so far based on australian media, the Dogs are the only ones in the frame.  Big difference between earning as much as he can and as much as his Agent wants.

I think, in years to come, he will regret this whole episode.

12 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Whether we like it or not , Stuart taking him to Canberra highlighted his profile no end . It’s a small pond here , even if you’re a big fish . They had faith in him and gave him the platform to perform on that stage ... yes he took it  and won a Dally M , but surely there’s no doubt it’s been mutually beneficial . The strong position he’s working from now is from performing at the Raiders . He wouldn’t have been in this position negotiating from Wigan

5 hours ago, Copa said:

The media is saying Bateman is on $580k at Canberra and knocked back an upgrade to $750k.

Bulldogs are apparently offering $2.3 million over 3 years. Just a fraction more per season.

Seems a lot of money for him in my opinion. I have a feeling that he may not be quite as popular on the open market as he may think or wish to believe. I cant see any of the top teams topping that.

As Batemans manager Isaac Moses has had his NRL accreditation cancelled(pending appeal), can he act on his behalf? Is this likely to drag on till his manager has that accreditation returned? Or has a deal already been done that Bateman just needs to sign?

Until that happens i guess there is still time for Bateman to reconsider. Seems a bit crazy that he would consider a switch to another club, who aren't in a particularly good place at the moment, and for a fraction of a pay increase. A Premiership is definitely more likely as a Raider than a Bulldog currently.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

16 hours ago, barnyia said:

Yep I think this is a part of why English players get sort of sucked in

8 hours ago, Copa said:

I'm struggling to see why he would go through all this, have his name dragged through the mud and join a poorer team all for an additional $50k over 3 years (15 - 20k a year more)!

That can't be right. I get it if the Bulldogs offer was 100k a year more.

Unless the figures being reported in the media are off.

30 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I'm struggling to see why he would go through all this, have his name dragged through the mud and join a poorer team all for an additional $50k over 3 years (15 - 20k a year more)!

The problem is that most people are focusing purely on the figures(reported figures not necessarily accurate) and they may be missing the point.

32 minutes ago, Jao 711 said:

The problem is that most people are focusing purely on the figures(reported figures not necessarily accurate) and they may be missing the point.

Feel free to enlighten me on the missing point? 

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

How much would you do it for?

Just to understand the scale that is.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

How much would you do it for?

Just to understand the scale that is.

I'm not sure to be fair.

Just seems an awful lot of aggravation for a circa 2.5% annual pay increase.

However, I assume the numbers reported aren't 100% accurate.

Whatever Canberra have said, they must have been clearly aware that their salary cap restrictions would be stretched to afford JB.  That aside, signing on fee and him leaving shorter than expected seems to be the issue for Canberra:

The Raiders are angry that they paid a £200,000 ($358,000) transfer fee to Bateman's former club Wigan to bring him to Canberra, only for him to leave with one season remaining on his contract.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/my-job-is-to-look-after-my-clients-nrl-agent-hits-back-at-stuart-spray-20200701-p5582c.html

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Whatever Canberra have said, they must have been clearly aware that their salary cap restrictions would be stretched to afford JB.  That aside, signing on fee and him leaving shorter than expected seems to be the issue for Canberra:

The Raiders are angry that they paid a £200,000 ($358,000) transfer fee to Bateman's former club Wigan to bring him to Canberra, only for him to leave with one season remaining on his contract.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/my-job-is-to-look-after-my-clients-nrl-agent-hits-back-at-stuart-spray-20200701-p5582c.html

Wouldn’t Canberra be due compensation if he’s still under contract?

21 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I'm not sure to be fair.

Just seems an awful lot of aggravation for a circa 2.5% annual pay increase.

However, I assume the numbers reported aren't 100% accurate.

Almost certainly not correct figures. 
 I agree though, unless he was desperate to live in Sydney, moving from a potential Championship winning team to a cellar dweller due to a marginal pay rise wouldn’t appeal to me

Archived