Sun 2 Aug: SL: St Helens v Catalans Dragons KO 4.15pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/20 at 15:45

For a first game back after twenty weeks, you can’t really ask for much more than that. The rule changes have worked in our favour and we can’t play the dour, wrestle style rubbish forced on the team by Woolf pre-lockdown. We’re behind the eight ball having had two points wiped after Toronto’s abandonment and having lost to Cas and Huddersfield but we should be profiting from these new rules. 

Catalans were Catalans really. Frustrating, indisciplined and inconsistent. I’m sure in the next couple of weeks they’ll be the opposite of all that and will beat someone with relative ease. That’s just how they are. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dave T said:

No, it wasn't. But feel free to prove me wrong with evidence. 

It was stated that if France had a team in SL it will encourage more French lads to take up the sport and promote the French National team to be much more competitive than they had recently been, and Paris St Germain were accepted into the RFL which would have been beneficial for the International game in the northern hemisphere, Paris duly failed and it was said the wrong geographical area of France was considered, it would be much better if it was a team in SL from the heartlands in the Sud de France, now either I have dreamt that or you have forgotten it.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was stated that if France had a team in SL it will encourage more French lads to take up the sport and promote the French National team to be much more competitive than they had recently been, and Paris St Germain were accepted into the RFL which would have been beneficial for the International game in the northern hemisphere, Paris duly failed and it was said the wrong geographical area of France was considered, it would be much better if it was a team in SL from the heartlands in the Sud de France, now either I have dreamt that or you have forgotten it.

A benefit of French players in SL would absolutely be a stronger team on the international stage. 

That is quite different to it being the 'whole point' of Catalans being admitted to SL. 

SLE's remit is not to develop the France national team. 

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

After 14 years, and they were completly out played even with the big signing NRL player's in assistance.

Snellins have been completely outplayed on a number of highly-enjoyable occasions, too, despite being formed over 100 years ago. 

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes it was.

Thats what I thought it was, anyway without getting into an argument if we are counting Tas son as French (French mother but learnt the game in Sydney and Remi has been around for years that leaves 5 new ones)

How many in the starting line up?

There were better French players (Skill wise) around 20/25 years ago 

Pierre Chamorin

Jean Marc Garcia 

Patrick Entat

Gilles Dumas

Daniel Divet

Half the Leopards team of around 2000/1 I could go on and on:)

I must have watched around 500 + French matches between 1998/2008 maybe even more sometimes 3 a week with the Monday might TV game and I saw some really great players during that period.

Paul

51 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Yes with the help of a French half back, 😉

Whose father played for Pia and France and toured Australia in 1990 but was not signed by the Dragons as sadly he does not see eye to eye with Bernard (Same situation as Maxim Greseque) and a few more.

BG has done a great job in some ways but the politics are totally insane I don't see the same problem with Toulouse whatsoever.

A lot of the Dragons politics are being No 1 fish in the local pond over USAP:)

Paul

Saints look back to their best while Cats were their usual selves when playing poorly. It was a decent contest to start with but then all the momentum went with Saints and Cats could hardly get out of their own half. With the new rules momentum will play an even bigger part than it did before but even so the catalans were poor and that they only scored from a mistake in defence says how little they did with the ball when they were in a position to do something.

I admit that I did miss the scrum. Scrums do give a chance for teams to try and be creative and gives teams a breather before play resumes while now play will restart quicker and if a team has been having to defend heavily before then and has to do more they will tire out quicker and a try will probably be scored. If it is decided that scrums won’t be brought back i feel that it will be because the league will only see how quick play restarts without taking into consideration how it could affect games as contests.

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Saints look back to their best while Cats were their usual selves when playing poorly. It was a decent contest to start with but then all the momentum went with Saints and Cats could hardly get out of their own half. With the new rules momentum will play an even bigger part than it did before but even so the catalans were poor and that they only scored from a mistake in defence says how little they did with the ball when they were in a position to do something.

I admit that I did miss the scrum. Scrums do give a chance for teams to try and be creative and gives teams a breather before play resumes while now play will restart quicker and if a team has been having to defend heavily before then and has to do more they will tire out quicker and a try will probably be scored. If it is decided that scrums won’t be brought back i feel that it will be because the league will only see how quick play restarts without taking into consideration how it could affect games as contests.

I agree on scrums. I think we need to be careful on tempo of the game. Having a 60 second breather to stage a scrum isn't a bad thing IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

For a first game back after twenty weeks, you can’t really ask for much more than that. The rule changes have worked in our favour and we can’t play the dour, wrestle style rubbish forced on the team by Woolf pre-lockdown. We’re behind the eight ball having had two points wiped after Toronto’s abandonment and having lost to Cas and Huddersfield but we should be profiting from these new rules. 

Exactly this.  I had no idea what to expect but we sped right back to Holbrook's days which was great to see.  I hope we keep it up and it is as you say: that the rule changes put a stop to the garbage Woolf was trying to force us into playing. 

I did miss the scrum though.  Although we scored some fabulous tries, overall it was a bit too much like tick rugby, a bit too fast and furious.  The scrum offers a bit of creative opportunity and also gives everyone a bit of a breather.  

Well done Saints. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Catalans are hopeless when they play away from home. Stop making excuses for them.

17 hours ago, jacksy said:

Seems odd after months of no games.To start with only two games on a Sunday this weekend.

Because some teams had played 2 games less than the others,  these 4 teams had to play catch up with the number of games played. This was Saints rearranged game because of the WCC and the Leeds one was because of previous postponements.

Next weekend it should be back to 5 games plus the 1 bye because of Toronto.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Overall, pretty happy with that performance from Saints. The rule changes certainly seem to benefit a team like Saints who thrive of quick PTB's and it will be interesting to see how other teams have adapted, particularly those who's game is usually based around dominating the tackle and slowing down the ruck.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

14 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Catalans are hopeless when they play away from home. Stop making excuses for them.

I think LR has a valid point.  Teams who recruited to play a certain way are now having to play somewhat differently.  Of all the teams in SL, I would say Saints, Wigan and Cas are most suited.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think LR has a valid point.  Teams who recruited to play a certain way are now having to play somewhat differently.  Of all the teams in SL, I would say Saints, Wigan and Cas are most suited.

Warrington too I reckon 

16 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Thats what I thought it was, anyway without getting into an argument if we are counting Tas son as French (French mother but learnt the game in Sydney and Remi has been around for years that leaves 5 new ones)

How many in the starting line up?

There were better French players (Skill wise) around 20/25 years ago 

Pierre Chamorin

Jean Marc Garcia 

Patrick Entat

Gilles Dumas

Daniel Divet

Half the Leopards team of around 2000/1 I could go on and on:)

I must have watched around 500 + French matches between 1998/2008 maybe even more sometimes 3 a week with the Monday might TV game and I saw some really great players during that period.

Paul

Entat was a decent half back but the rest were all pretty average journeymen imho.

17 hours ago, Dave T said:

A benefit of French players in SL would absolutely be a stronger team on the international stage. 

That is quite different to it being the 'whole point' of Catalans being admitted to SL. 

SLE's remit is not to develop the France national team. 

I think they will have 18 French players now, out of a Squad of 32, with the signing of 4 young lads.  

Not sure how many youth will follow in their shoes next year, but 4 academy players into the first team squad in one year is a big number.

Only got around to watching the 2 game's today.  It's nice to be reassured in these times of confusion and turmoil that that the Catalan's Holiday Club is still around, the shamed and aged rugby player's of these and antipodean shore's will be reassured there's somewhere they can rest whilst stealing a living. As for Falau he should concentrate on standing up during the 80 minutes of the game rather than disappearing down some hole by the corner flag.

Archived