Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Whippet13

New Super League Sponsor

Recommended Posts

You'd have thought they'd set a better example when it comes to healthy eating. Papa John's maybe nice for a lot of people but are one of the fattest nations in Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

No problem with this. Food which is high in fat is only really unhealthy when eaten to excess. If people play and train for a highly demanding sport, it should free them to eat more of what they want. They burn the calories off. It`s a perfectly reasonable, healthy message to send out. 

Which is the happier life? - Lots of pizzas and exercise, or lettuce leaves and inertia.

Im not sure that's true. Yes, calories burned > calories eaten = weight loss, but what you eat and don't eat is also important, especially when trying to maintain an elite body that athletes have to do. There's plenty of interviews out there with professional athletes who talk about how their diet is a key factor in their performance especially as they get older and how they avoid certain types of food altogether, that your average in shape person has no problem eating from time to time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Im not sure that's true. Yes, calories burned > calories eaten = weight loss, but what you eat and don't eat is also important, especially when trying to maintain an elite body that athletes have to do. There's plenty of interviews out there with professional athletes who talk about how their diet is a key factor in their performance especially as they get older and how they avoid certain types of food altogether, that your average in shape person has no problem eating from time to time. 

Let’s refuse the sponsorship and stick to mushy peas then.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Let’s refuse the sponsorship and stick to mushy peas then.

Let’s get back to Silk Cut.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Let’s get back to Silk Cut.

John Player & Slalom Lager,proper RL sponsors !!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

You'd have thought they'd set a better example when it comes to healthy eating. Papa John's maybe nice for a lot of people but are one of the fattest nations in Europe. 

Wot? 

  • Haha 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with players having pizza after matches . They’re super conditioned athletes but they can relax a bit after a match . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tonka said:

“As we have seen since the restart, Betfred Super League games are getting faster and harder and I know the players are grateful when they see so many pizzas to choose from after a tough 80 minutes.”

 

This doesn't sound true...

I'm assuming up north that tripe is the preferred pizza topping? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with players having pizza after matches . They’re super conditioned athletes but they can relax a bit after a match . 

I agree... I'm guessing they burn through 1200 calories plus over a game so they are justified in getting the calories in

Only if they win mind. The losers should be forced to eat cold gravel 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I agree... I'm guessing they burn through 1200 calories plus over a game so they are justified in getting the calories in

Only if they win mind. The loses should be forced to eat cold gravel 

We should play Monday Tuesday Wednesday , you get a discount 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It does appear that to me. 

Hopefully it will lead to a longer and more fruitful commercial relationship thereafter, if Papa Johns can see sufficient value generated from it.............but it does show how little commercial value we're currently able to command. 

The impression you get from what ''appears'' to you, doesn't show anything at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I agree... I'm guessing they burn through 1200 calories plus over a game so they are justified in getting the calories in

Only if they win mind. The losers should be forced to eat cold gravel 

Much more than 1,200 I’d have thought, you burn 800 running 10km and that’s in a much shorter time and without the sprinting and physical aspect. I reckon 2,000 at least, in the professional game. Basically they should be allowed a pizza and a few pints after the game without some coach potatoes questioning it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gates1 said:

Bad news for Pizza Prima in Cas, been supplying the post gane pizzas down the lane for years.

Bound to be bad news. Just surprised that we got so far into the topic before those words were actually used. 

For those of you interested in the topic of nutrition, rather than those congenitally predisposed to moaning about SL and RFL, look here.

http://www.papas-nutritional-calculator.com/

 

  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gates1 said:

Bad news for Pizza Prima in Cas, been supplying the post gane pizzas down the lane for years.

If there's no Papa John's in Cas, Pizza Prima might keep the gig!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Much more than 1,200 I’d have thought, you burn 800 running 10km and that’s in a much shorter time and without the sprinting and physical aspect. I reckon 2,000 at least, in the professional game. Basically they should be allowed a pizza and a few pints after the game without some coach potatoes questioning it. 

Sure theyre allowed.... but I doubt they will, the modern day athlete is pretty particular on their diet, especially in the middle of a season and weekly pizza and a few pints aren't usually part of their diet

 

https://www.espn.com/espnw/life-style/story/_/id/21937867/eight-top-athletes-share-their-nutrition-tricks-high-performing-new-year

Edited by emesssea
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gates1 said:

Bad news for Pizza Prima in Cas, been supplying the post gane pizzas down the lane for years.

Bummer.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm assuming up north that tripe is the preferred pizza topping? 

Tuna and anchovies. Can’t beat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Tuna and anchovies. Can’t beat it.

Yep - my favourite topping too... with olives it's a Neopolatana or something? 

I was joking about the tripe but maybe some of the northerners here can confirm if it's nice on pizza 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Let’s refuse the sponsorship and stick to mushy peas then.

No need to be so hasty, mushy peas as a pizza topping, fusion food that provides the best of both worlds.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The Leigh mob will be along shortly decrying this as another North American threat "our" game.

Pathetic , obsessive

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep - my favourite topping too... with olives it's a Neopolatana or something? 

I was joking about the tripe but maybe some of the northerners here can confirm if it's nice on pizza 

I’ll stick with the Tuna and anchovies. My tripe and trotters are behind me.

Probably a delicasey  now down South.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I’ll stick with the Tuna and anchovies. My tripe and trotters are behind me.

Probably a delicasey  now down South.

Shoreditch w******s would love it I bet

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, emesssea said:

Im not sure that's true. Yes, calories burned > calories eaten = weight loss, but what you eat and don't eat is also important, especially when trying to maintain an elite body that athletes have to do. There's plenty of interviews out there with professional athletes who talk about how their diet is a key factor in their performance especially as they get older and how they avoid certain types of food altogether, that your average in shape person has no problem eating from time to time. 

The question of how appropriate a sponsor is for RL relates more to the influence on the broader constituency of the game`s players and fans. Of course when a sport`s governing body accepts a sponsorship it`s elite players may be required to endorse the product. Whether they mean it is another matter. Just as with individual celebrities in commercials.

I`d be surprised if any sports nutritionist employed by NRL or SL clubs would recommend pizza in the diets of their players, but that`s no reason why players at all other levels shouldn`t partake in moderation. If someone is partial to so-called junk food there`s a greater imperative for them to join a club and get active. Better that than striving for self-denial, whilst remaining inactive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...