Jump to content

Thu 19 Nov: SL: Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 7.45pm (Sky)


Who will win?  

60 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Wigan Warriors
      38
    • Hull FC
      22

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/11/20 at 20:15

Recommended Posts


  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's absolutely ###### scandalous the decisions Wigan get.

I wasn't party to this, don't agree with it...but it made me smile...  

I hope Hullfan can explain his laughing emoticon to us all.

29 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's capitulations like this though that show why we just need a fresh start in the coaching team. We just don't have a plan when things aren't going well; we revert to old ways.

We've had a good bit of form, and we have a lot of talent, but there's so much work to do to make this a team that can compete.

I think it's a question of finding some better players.  In the end they couldn't back up.  Hull had a couple of unlucky plays. I'm not saying they were wrong, they were just a bit unlucky at times. 

The comments and analysis on Sneyd was a bit harsh.  Connor could not get in the game... maybe they needed him at 6 in the 2nd half.

Wigan have some good players and they have some influential players.  And they look fit and probably unlike last season they have another games worth in them.  Last season's semi, they seemed just to be a game to many.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wigan from somewhere around the 15 to 20 minutes slowly imposed themselves. Wigan tackling contained Hull FC easily from about that point and the strangle hold just gathering momentum.

The commentary team mentioned Wigan coming to the fore about 10 mins after Wigans defensive tackling started to stop Hull's metres leaving them having to kick from deep - commentary team sometimes stick to a theme even when things are changing.

 All-in-all irrespective of the claims of momentum change from the pat on the head it was already well underway. Hull just couldn't get out the stranglehold and effective aggressive tackling with the show boating of that big Hull tackle leading to penalty... just because big hits give us a smile Wigan much more effective and tougher tackling was much better, by far once they hit their stride.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The only chance Hull had was to take last week's momentum into this game , up to Griffin's stupidity they had it 

Harsh.  They were winding themselves up, Hull, maybe they went a bit flat after that.   But really it was high stakes and I would not have criticised my team if it had done it... you want your players to be up for it.  But the rule is the rule...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Fair enough, makes you wonder why there isnt more cheating when players go to score.

You could rip the ball out, kick it out, deliberate knock on etc.. no penalty no penalty try simples

Knocking on is not a penalty,kicking the ball out of someone’s hands is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Griffin ended any chance Hull had , stupid 

I know the final margin of victory suggests Wigan were far superior than needing that act of stupidity from Griffin to be victorious but it certainly changed the whole balance of the game at that time. 

Sad that Hull couldn't do it but on the positive side at least they didn't save that performance for the final and I always enjoy seeing Griffin **** up.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
 
 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

With Flower looking doubtful,Burgess permanently crocked and Clark rubbish we are short of middle forwards,I’d love to see young Smith in the 17 even if Powell is fit.

Yes.  One selection for Lam may make it easy if as it looks Flower is injured.  Greenwood will come in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oxford said:

Well Loiner it leaves out why we turn up when we're not successful for a start. According to your understanding, as much as you've elaborated it, the rest of us needn't bother as we're among the forgotten!

Im not sure you really be my point Oxford. Faithful 1865 was basically taking the **** by saying his team got further than mine, fair enough. I was really saying you have to back that up and win or its pointless taking the Mick. Jackson Hastings just said the same in his post match interview " I want to be a winner nobody remembers the loser". 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a clinical performance from Wigan. Hull looked to be on top in the first 20 but Wigan didn't panic and just took their chances when they came. It's been a very similar story for Wigan throughout this year. We often have to soak up a lot of pressure early in the game from  a big pack of forwards only to hit them with a quick try almost out of nowhere.

Our line speed was excellent throughout the game, led by Jackson Hastings who was outstanding in defence. It was interesting to hear Ian Watson say before the game that you don't play Hastings at hooker in a game like this. Evidently you do! That all action defence from 9 is key to the way Wigan defend and the best plan for replacing Powell was replacing that energy in defence.

I think Harry Smith showed why he's one for the future but isn't quite there yet. Some good touches but also quite a few errors. He's not there yet. He needs to force his way into the team ahead of Leuluai and Field next year and fix a few areas of his game.

Wigan having a week off probably helped in terms of fitness levels late in the game. It seems to be quite beneficial to clubs this season, probably because of the huge workload on players.

Hull gave a decent account of themselves in the first half. There's some positive signs from Hull in the last few weeks and definitely something to build on.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

With Flower looking doubtful,Burgess permanently crocked and Clark rubbish we are short of middle forwards,I’d love to see young Smith in the 17 even if Powell is fit.

True. Greenwood is back I think, so I'm guessing he will come in for Flower if injured.

If Powell's fit, he'll probably replace Smith, with Hastings switching back to the half back role.

Some tough calls for Lam.

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: 13 Questions for Rugby League in 2021

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

True. Greenwood is back I think, so I'm guessing he will come in for Flower if injured.

If Powell's fit, he'll probably replace Smith, with Hastings switching back to the half back role.

Some tough calls for Lam.

I don’t think they will be tough really. They will be the changes and rightfully so on recent evidence. Flower is injured and Greenwood deserves a spot and Harry Smiths time will come. He looked nervous/rusty early doors tonight and has some improving to do defensively. He showed some really classy touches as the game wore on but we’ll carry on with four forwards on the bench to keep the intensity high in that area and Powell will come in. 
 

If nothing else Wigan will have a team prepared to put in a shift next week and we should hopefully be tough to break down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't be disappointed with Hull's effort tonight, we had a good dig and there's a lot of positives to build on next year. But I thought Wigan showed us the standard we need to get to if we want to win a GF. Their defence was as good as I've seen for a long time. Their line speed was relentless and just completely shut us down. Then on the few occasions we were able to create something they scrambled and kept us out. 

There were definitely a few dodgy refereeing decisions that would have annoyed me had the game been closer, but we were easily outplayed by a very good team, and I can't imagine any of those calls would have made much difference.

Congratulations Wigan.

Edited by MZH
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the game. I think if Hull had scored the try disallowed for the push then it could have been closer. Having said that Wigan looked a lot faster on what is a large pitch I think. 

It feels like the counting down of the last days of a holday now though! Just 2 more games.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rude scoreline at the end of the game not reflecting the way the game had played out but the Hardaker try early in the second half killed the game at 19-2.

Hull FC fans usually start the season with high expectations and end in crushing dissappointment. This time round post Lee Radford's televised sacking pre-lockdown, expectations would have been much lower and in that respect Hull FC probably exceeded expectations for once so perhaps their fans can look at 2021 with cautious optimism for a change. From an outsiders perspective the club is on the right path.

Quote

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, for all you lot having a pop at me for not backing my team to win last night, there's the evidence why I didn't.

We simply couldn't compete with Wigan's line speed. Whether they were allowed a skinnier 10 I doubt but they were in our faces before we managed to get a second pass away. Perhaps our acting half passing is too slow or not direct enough, that's one of the few criticisms I level at Houghton, sometimes his passes loop through the air and seem to take an age to get to the recipient. As he was sub and only played part of the game, maybe that wasn't the full story.

All the game we looked to have no time with the ball and, as a result, Sneyd was completely ineffective and Connor not too far behind although he really put a shift in, I've never seen him tackled so often with the ball.

I'm still angry about the Griffin head pat incident, split 50/50 between Griffin's stupidity and Kendall giving a penalty for it. Please, someone tell me one other player penalised this year for it and I might calm down a bit. We really had Wigan under some pressure at that point, I doubt it made the difference in the end as I think they had too much for us but it would have kept Hull fans and neutrals interested in the game for a bit longer maybe.

I had a text from Chemics' fan Jill Halfpenny fan of this parish simply saying "It just isn't your night mate", and it really felt like that.

Like I said in the build up to the game, as regards play off RL, Wigan are the book, t shirt and DVD club and we were always going to struggle. Still, we had a go and I don't think the score was a true reflection of the game.

We've come a fair way since getting pasted by Wire in March, that surely has to be a positive for my club.

Oh, and today I'd like to wish a very happy 90th birthday to Johnny Whiteley, hope you have a fabulous day Sir.

 

  • Like 3

                                                  "Son, can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes,

                                   but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Well, for all you lot having a pop at me for not backing my team to win last night, there's the evidence why I didn't.

We simply couldn't compete with Wigan's line speed. Whether they were allowed a skinnier 10 I doubt but they were in our faces before we managed to get a second pass away. Perhaps our acting half passing is too slow or not direct enough, that's one of the few criticisms I level at Houghton, sometimes his passes loop through the air and seem to take an age to get to the recipient. As he was sub and only played part of the game, maybe that wasn't the full story.

All the game we looked to have no time with the ball and, as a result, Sneyd was completely ineffective and Connor not too far behind although he really put a shift in, I've never seen him tackled so often with the ball.

I'm still angry about the Griffin head pat incident, split 50/50 between Griffin's stupidity and Kendall giving a penalty for it. Please, someone tell me one other player penalised this year for it and I might calm down a bit. We really had Wigan under some pressure at that point, I doubt it made the difference in the end as I think they had too much for us but it would have kept Hull fans and neutrals interested in the game for a bit longer maybe.

I had a text from Chemics' fan Jill Halfpenny fan of this parish simply saying "It just isn't your night mate", and it really felt like that.

Like I said in the build up to the game, as regards play off RL, Wigan are the book, t shirt and DVD club and we were always going to struggle. Still, we had a go and I don't think the score was a true reflection of the game.

We've come a fair way since getting pasted by Wire in March, that surely has to be a positive for my club.

Oh, and today I'd like to wish a very happy 90th birthday to Johnny Whiteley, hope you have a fabulous day Sir.

 

 

11 hours ago, LeeF said:

Hope this helps mate.

Thought it was a great effort from Hull last night and the week off seemed to be a great benefit to us as our energy levels & line speed were too much for Hull to handle.

Plenty of positivities for Hull, although I think you need a creative 6 if Connor stays at fullback.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Loiner said:

Im not sure you really be my point Oxford. Faithful 1865 was basically taking the **** by saying his team got further than mine, fair enough. I was really saying you have to back that up and win or its pointless taking the Mick. Jackson Hastings just said the same in his post match interview " I want to be a winner nobody remembers the loser". 

Their own fans do!

" .......means always being with the oppressed and never the oppressors."-- Marek Edelman

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Hope this helps mate.

Thought it was a great effort from Hull last night and the week off seemed to be a great benefit to us as our energy levels & line speed were too much for Hull to handle.

Plenty of positivities for Hull, although I think you need a creative 6 if Connor stays at fullback.

Cheers Davo, although we could have had a world class half back and it wouldn't have made much difference last night, if you simply don't have time to create anything due to the opposition being in your face all the time, you ain't gonna be very effective.

And I think you're right with the week off effect, Wigan just had too much all over the park.

                                                  "Son, can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes,

                                   but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...