Cazoo to become Principal World Cup sponsor

JohnM

1 minute ago, Ramon Rojo said:

More erosion of our games culture.

What's happened to the usual go-to sponsorship family?

I'd much prefer the likes of 'Debt Busters' or 'Bonanza Bingo'.

It's all been downhill since the Think! Don't Drink and Drive Test Series.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

a loyal base (despite the negativity - see Batchelors and Papa John's and Stobart). 

I can't be the only one who has bought things from certain providers entirely because they are associated with TGG.

It really does inform my choices.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ha, I must admit I hadn't heard of them either, but that's exactly the point of this kind of stuff. They will get substantial coverage over the ne t 12m, including presence on the BBC. 

I had heard of them, it's advert involves a bloke  being eaten by his sofa (!) And then jumping out again.   It does make you question the value of advertising.  In this case it shows how easy it is to buy (lease?) a car.  The advert does not bring up the unseemly matter of money.

Has anybody gone out and bought any stretchy comfy underpants from that big fat bloke, or the well built Aussie?

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

It is if course a great job.  But it is their job.  It's their job to get a lead sponsor and they've got one.

Why on earth should you say that this is 'great progress'?   I hope there is value to it, both for us and them. A disaster had we not achieved a sponsor.  Above all it is something that does not have anything to do with betting.

The concept of cazoo seem at first glance good.  They would buy in bulk and pass on some of that to the  customer, and perhaps you do not have to commit to 3 years in a conventional contract. But effectively they will pay a fee for the service. But it is interesting.  Cazoo will hope RL fans will look into it and flock to their service. I'll look at their website.... so thats some free advertising working already.

Well I thought the 'great progress' point was explained by the fact that in 2013 we were scrambling to announce a load of sponsors for relatively little value, coupled with the fact that this is a record RLWC sponsorship, at a time when the world is going to cock.

That is progress.

Decent sponsor to bring on board, and with a sizeable amount of money. Key test, as has been mentioned, is engagement so they stick around and sponsor other areas of the game. Though not sure how it sits alongside Dacia, another car related partner.

Either way, great work by those involved.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Hope Cazoo haven't got us on the cheap. The fact they got the primary shirt sponsor rights from Villa & Everton, who ditched mega buck gambling companies in the process, means they have the capability to certainly splash the cash.

I agree with other contributors on this thread, its certainly a refreshing step in the right direction. Bravo 👍💰🙂

10 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I wonder if the owner Alex Chesterman has any links to Rugby League. Might stick around if he had some link in his youth or something ?

Given Cazoo's sponsorship of Everton, maybe Elstone had a hand in this.

By the way, as I understand it, Cazoo's current business is used car sales on line.

41 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Decent sponsor to bring on board, and with a sizeable amount of money. Key test, as has been mentioned, is engagement so they stick around and sponsor other areas of the game. Though not sure how it sits alongside Dacia, another car related partner.

Either way, great work by those involved.

Dacia don't seem to be an RLWC partner, possibly just an England RL one.

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well I thought the 'great progress' point was explained by the fact that in 2013 we were scrambling to announce a load of sponsors for relatively little value, coupled with the fact that this is a record RLWC sponsorship, at a time when the world is going to cock.

That is progress.

Yes.  Lets progress more!

With vaccines at the ready then we should be on target to have the WC.  I do with that we would bite the bullet, its still not too late to limit the season to 23 rounds and leave a good pre season and rest and training at the end before the world cup. 

Off topic a bit... If Magic is to be a feature for the future then I suggest it is taken out of the regular TV slot and given to or encouraged to the BBC to give us exposure. Or better (?)  Possibly an extra Magic given to the BBC. Thus 24 rounds.

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Given Cazoo's sponsorship of Everton, maybe Elstone had a hand in this.

By the way, as I understand it, Cazoo's current business is used car sales on line.

It`s not the most glamorous line of business, but the name is kind of `snazzy` and will look good and catch people`s attention, and the seven figure sponsorship also gives it cred. I think it appears to be great news, nice and early to which looks good as well.

Hope your right about Elstone, when you pay a bloke that much, you`re also paying for his contacts.

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Dacia don't seem to be an RLWC partner, possibly just an England RL one.

i meant in relation to staying involved with RL. With Dacia being a current Superleague partner.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

7 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

i meant in relation to staying involved with RL. With Dacia being a current Superleague partner.

Three separate entities there.

Not sure it necessarily makes too much difference but something to be aware of, certainly.

15 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s not the most glamorous line of business, but the name is kind of `snazzy` and will look good and catch people`s attention, and the seven figure sponsorship also gives it cred. I think it appears to be great news, nice and early to which looks good as well.

Hope your right about Elstone, when you pay a bloke that much, you`re also paying for his contacts.

Seven figure? Where did you read that? 

10 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It gets a fair, well pretty good, review on the 'Honest John's website.  They have a 55 acre distribution centre. 1500 cars for sale at any one time.  They do PCPs but I dont think it is particarly a lease business. 

(I'm doing my best to give them their advertising moneys worth)

My understanding is that the daily rental companies sell on their cars at 6 months or 10000 miles, so I'm sure Cazoo will get plenty low mileage cars available.

55 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Hope Cazoo haven't got us on the cheap. The fact they got the primary shirt sponsor rights from Villa & Everton, who ditched mega buck gambling companies in the process, means they have the capability to certainly splash the cash.

I agree with other contributors on this thread, its certainly a refreshing step in the right direction. Bravo 👍💰🙂

The gambling companies don't actually pay that much when it comes to shirt sponsorship. They can cover the mid-table teams (and indeed most of the Championship), but none of them have the budget to be shirt front sponsors for the likes of Man city, Liverpool, Man Utd, etc. 

Anyway. The Cazoo news is good, especially getting them onboard well in advance of the tournament.

The gambling companies are pretty much frozen out of most sports markets nowadays for perimeter advertising due to naming rights sponsors Ex

Betfred SL

Skybet EFL

The major player in the UK is Bet 365 for them and other gambling companies to get round this they have to have a deal with a club.

Biggest outlet for gambling now is the FA Cup here you will see many new names advertising.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

If I were Cazoo, I'd ask for my advertising money back. There has been a saturation ad campaign right across the media for almost the entire year. https://www.cazoo.co.uk/press/cazoo-launches-national-marketing-campaign/

Aaah now I've seen the advert again I am reminded I have seen it a number of times.

I guess the question would be why I didn't remember the companies name - all be it outside of this threads topic. Never-the-less often the case in that remember the advert but not the name of the company. I guess in this case important because that's what they would want as distinct from lifestyle type choices. Unless of course aim was to convince to buy cars on line.

Anyway really Good news..

Archived