Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Newcastle Thunder

Newcastle Thunder & Community growth

Recommended Posts

Newcastle Thunder will play an integral part in the continued growth of rugby league at community level as 2021 and the Rugby League World Cup approaches.  

With the tournament kicking off at St James’ Park on 23 October, three further matches at their Kingston Park Stadium home and a game at Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium next year promises to be the biggest ever at all levels for the sport in the north east.

Working in partnership with the club’s official charity and community delivery arm – the Newcastle Rugby Foundation – Thunder will play a prominent role in the new North East Game Board that has been set up to co-ordinate all development activity. 

Partners include the North East Rugby League, Thunder Academy, the RFL, RISE (Tyne & Wear Sport), the Foundation and representatives from Women’s & Girls RL, other RL variants and a lead for Equality & Diversity.

With 15 clubs now established in the north east, ambitious plans could see this number rise as high by a further five to 20 over the next two years. Plans are already established to add Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hexham, Darlington and West Hartlepool by 2022. 

This period will see the year up to and twelve months immediately after the World Cup as the prime time to capture the new interest that the tournament will create.

Speaking about the ambitious plans for community rugby league across the north east region Thunder general manager Jordan Robinson said

“Whilst most of the past year has been wiped out we’ve still welcomed new clubs such as Newcastle Magpies, Hartlepool Hurricanes and Wallsend Centurions to the north east rugby league family. 

“Over the past 6 years we have seen a 40% growth in new clubs and registered players across the region. We have identified the areas where we believe further interest can be stimulated and we look forward to helping the formation of new rugby league clubs.

“The World Cup will generate tremendous interest in rugby league and we’ve got five fantastic matches in the north east. Via the Foundation we employ four full time community development officers. 

“This resource and the support of all the partners who contribute towards the development of the sport will leave a tangible post tournament legacy here in our region.”

The work of the Foundation and the other partners will continue to push the North East Game Board development ethos. 

That belief has seen the sport move away from traditional over competitive leagues at junior age groups, replacing activity with games that allow for flexibility of game length, squad sizes and making sure all players play at least half a game. 

In the last full season (summer 2019) it lead to a record 87% of all scheduled games being completed and a record 1,400 players registered to play RL across the region (not including student RL players).

https://thunderrugby.co.uk/community/thunder-eye-further-community-growth-as-rugby-league-world-cup-year-approaches/

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Newcastle Thunder will play an integral part in the continued growth of rugby league at community level as 2021 and the Rugby League World Cup approaches.  

With the tournament kicking off at St James’ Park on 23 October, three further matches at their Kingston Park Stadium home and a game at Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium next year promises to be the biggest ever at all levels for the sport in the north east.

Working in partnership with the club’s official charity and community delivery arm – the Newcastle Rugby Foundation – Thunder will play a prominent role in the new North East Game Board that has been set up to co-ordinate all development activity. 

Partners include the North East Rugby League, Thunder Academy, the RFL, RISE (Tyne & Wear Sport), the Foundation and representatives from Women’s & Girls RL, other RL variants and a lead for Equality & Diversity.

With 15 clubs now established in the north east, ambitious plans could see this number rise as high by a further five to 20 over the next two years. Plans are already established to add Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hexham, Darlington and West Hartlepool by 2022. 

This period will see the year up to and twelve months immediately after the World Cup as the prime time to capture the new interest that the tournament will create.

Speaking about the ambitious plans for community rugby league across the north east region Thunder general manager Jordan Robinson said

“Whilst most of the past year has been wiped out we’ve still welcomed new clubs such as Newcastle Magpies, Hartlepool Hurricanes and Wallsend Centurions to the north east rugby league family. 

“Over the past 6 years we have seen a 40% growth in new clubs and registered players across the region. We have identified the areas where we believe further interest can be stimulated and we look forward to helping the formation of new rugby league clubs.

“The World Cup will generate tremendous interest in rugby league and we’ve got five fantastic matches in the north east. Via the Foundation we employ four full time community development officers. 

“This resource and the support of all the partners who contribute towards the development of the sport will leave a tangible post tournament legacy here in our region.”

The work of the Foundation and the other partners will continue to push the North East Game Board development ethos. 

That belief has seen the sport move away from traditional over competitive leagues at junior age groups, replacing activity with games that allow for flexibility of game length, squad sizes and making sure all players play at least half a game. 

In the last full season (summer 2019) it lead to a record 87% of all scheduled games being completed and a record 1,400 players registered to play RL across the region (not including student RL players).

https://thunderrugby.co.uk/community/thunder-eye-further-community-growth-as-rugby-league-world-cup-year-approaches/

Some exciting future plans for the development of RL in the north east at grassroots level none more so than a potential new Sunderland club 👍

Ha’way the lads!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s especially good to see Middlesbrough mentioned, as there are WC games at their ground (can’t remember what the new ground is called, I was at the last ever game at Ayresome Park, 3-3 v Norwich, meant we finished in 3rd, sorry for mentioning football Harry). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Newcastle Thunder will play an integral part in the continued growth of rugby league at community level as 2021 and the Rugby League World Cup approaches.  

With the tournament kicking off at St James’ Park on 23 October, three further matches at their Kingston Park Stadium home and a game at Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium next year promises to be the biggest ever at all levels for the sport in the north east.

Working in partnership with the club’s official charity and community delivery arm – the Newcastle Rugby Foundation – Thunder will play a prominent role in the new North East Game Board that has been set up to co-ordinate all development activity. 

Partners include the North East Rugby League, Thunder Academy, the RFL, RISE (Tyne & Wear Sport), the Foundation and representatives from Women’s & Girls RL, other RL variants and a lead for Equality & Diversity.

With 15 clubs now established in the north east, ambitious plans could see this number rise as high by a further five to 20 over the next two years. Plans are already established to add Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hexham, Darlington and West Hartlepool by 2022. 

This period will see the year up to and twelve months immediately after the World Cup as the prime time to capture the new interest that the tournament will create.

Speaking about the ambitious plans for community rugby league across the north east region Thunder general manager Jordan Robinson said

“Whilst most of the past year has been wiped out we’ve still welcomed new clubs such as Newcastle Magpies, Hartlepool Hurricanes and Wallsend Centurions to the north east rugby league family. 

“Over the past 6 years we have seen a 40% growth in new clubs and registered players across the region. We have identified the areas where we believe further interest can be stimulated and we look forward to helping the formation of new rugby league clubs.

“The World Cup will generate tremendous interest in rugby league and we’ve got five fantastic matches in the north east. Via the Foundation we employ four full time community development officers. 

“This resource and the support of all the partners who contribute towards the development of the sport will leave a tangible post tournament legacy here in our region.”

The work of the Foundation and the other partners will continue to push the North East Game Board development ethos. 

That belief has seen the sport move away from traditional over competitive leagues at junior age groups, replacing activity with games that allow for flexibility of game length, squad sizes and making sure all players play at least half a game. 

In the last full season (summer 2019) it lead to a record 87% of all scheduled games being completed and a record 1,400 players registered to play RL across the region (not including student RL players).

https://thunderrugby.co.uk/community/thunder-eye-further-community-growth-as-rugby-league-world-cup-year-approaches/

Is that a new club in Hartlepool or linked to the previous community club there?

Good to see Hexham getting a side, lovely place!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Is that a new club in Hartlepool or linked to the previous community club there?

Good to see Hexham getting a side, lovely place!

No the new club in Hartlepool would an additional new club

the demand is huge so that area can service two strong community clubs 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

No the new club in Hartlepool would an additional new club

the demand is huge so that area can service two strong community clubs 

Sorry, I didn't mean 'West Hartlepool'.............you referenced Hartlepool Hurricanes recently been started up. I distinctly remember a fairly strong RL team in Hartlepool - are they linked to this, or did they cease to exist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Is that a new club in Hartlepool or linked to the previous community club there?

Good to see Hexham getting a side, lovely place!

Played against Hartlepool when playing for the old Northallerton side. Good to see sprouts of development in Hartlepool once again. Same with Darlo and other locations. Hexham would be a great effort spreading westwards... don’t think there has ever been a footprint there. 

Genuinely excited by the development in the Northeast. Graduate from Newcastle Uni where I played and played in the Summer Conference NE league back in the day. Great region and great people who deserve a great game like RL. Keep up the good work Newcastle RL!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alot of non league association football clubs but quite frankly,  in areas that are considered afterthoughts by the football elite,  rugby league can find people who want to belong and contribute. So lets hope Thunder continue to grow. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Newcastle Thunder will play an integral part in the continued growth of rugby league at community level as 2021 and the Rugby League World Cup approaches. 

https://thunderrugby.co.uk/community/thunder-eye-further-community-growth-as-rugby-league-world-cup-year-approaches/

Brilliant!  Is Newcastle applying for the Championship spot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Alot of non league association football clubs but quite frankly,  in areas that are considered afterthoughts by the football elite,  rugby league can find people who want to belong and contribute. So lets hope Thunder continue to grow. 

What does this mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It means that although the north east has several non league clubs in association football, it is not considered an area of growth or priority for that game.  So if rugby league were to target or focus on these areas,  it would find a receptive audience and a new group of players, coaches and fans.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The North East League could become the third major producer of players alongside Yorkshire and NW. This is what the game needs. A new area that provides players for the professional game. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

What league do all these teams play in? Is there a local league running? 

Yeah so we operate competitions within our region, but we are slightly different to anywhere else, we took the decision to move away from overly competitive structured leagues for below U16 in favour for a more development ethos approach.

having flexibility for match length and squad sizes meaning no kid should ever find themselves not selected 

We also encourage every kid to play at least half a game, all of the local clubs and coaches buying into this ethos  

We still run a cup competition.

shedualed into the playing structure is a monthly development day which no fixtures will be played and every player comes to Kingston park to have a day training with our coaches. And this is also where we play our SPARC festivals.

We run the following 

Primary Rules 

U8, U10, U11

Junior 

U12, U13, U14

U16 - League 

Men’s - League 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Yeah so we operate competitions within our region, but we are slightly different to anywhere else, we took the decision to move away from overly competitive structured leagues for below U16 in favour for a more development ethos approach.

having flexibility for match length and squad sizes meaning no kid should ever find themselves not selected 

We also encourage every kid to play at least half a game, all of the local clubs and coaches buying into this ethos  

We still run a cup competition.

shedualed into the playing structure is a monthly development day which no fixtures will be played and every player comes to Kingston park to have a day training with our coaches. And this is also where we play our SPARC festivals.

We run the following 

Primary Rules 

U8, U10, U11

Junior 

U12, U13, U14

U16 - League 

Men’s - League 

 

Thanks for the info, fingers crossed it continues to grow and we establish another heartland along with Yorkshire Lancashire and Cumbria!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

The North East League could become the third major producer of players alongside Yorkshire and NW. This is what the game needs. A new area that provides players for the professional game. 

 

Cumbria ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

and making sure all players play at least half a game. 

I’ve often thought that clubs guaranteeing game time have huge potential. While it’s not ideal for every club (or for every team in a club) there is a place for it.

Lots of kids just want to keep busy with their mates and aren’t interested in developing into pro players. Their parents want them to keep busy too. Guaranteed game time is great for these people and keeps them coming back year after year for the community involvement.

Edited by Copa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news guys, keep it up! As an ex pat from afar it makes me so happy to read this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

The North East League could become the third major producer of players alongside Yorkshire and NW. This is what the game needs. A new area that provides players for the professional game. 

 

 

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Cumbria ??

London already produces more SL players than Cumbria. Very exciting developments over the last few years in the North East, and they will eventually do so too.

  • Confused 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

 

London already produces more SL players than Cumbria. Very exciting developments over the last few years in the North East, and they will eventually do so too.

Hmm I'm not so sure about that mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Yeah so we operate competitions within our region, but we are slightly different to anywhere else, we took the decision to move away from overly competitive structured leagues for below U16 in favour for a more development ethos approach.

having flexibility for match length and squad sizes meaning no kid should ever find themselves not selected 

We also encourage every kid to play at least half a game, all of the local clubs and coaches buying into this ethos  

We still run a cup competition.

shedualed into the playing structure is a monthly development day which no fixtures will be played and every player comes to Kingston park to have a day training with our coaches. And this is also where we play our SPARC festivals.

We run the following 

Primary Rules 

U8, U10, U11

Junior 

U12, U13, U14

U16 - League 

Men’s - League 

 

It’s great the success in the North East has been recognised with World Cup games been played up there including England’s opening game against Samoa.

Middlesbrough seems an odd choice though for Tonga v Cook Islands, are any teams around Middlesbrough? I get the impression most sides are in the Newcastle area is this right? 

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...