Widnes Give Up

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to know how much of a factor this is or if it is just being used as an excuse:

Current Academy licenses across the sport are due to expire at the end of 2021, and it has been indicated that Super League membership and the ability to draw players from non-heartland areas will be integral to successful reapplication.

Just now, Damien said:

I'd like to know how much of a factor this is or if it is just being used as an excuse:

Current Academy licenses across the sport are due to expire at the end of 2021, and it has been indicated that Super League membership and the ability to draw players from non-heartland areas will be integral to successful reapplication.

It looks like they saw the writing on the wall and it is probably both a factor and an excuse.

2 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

It looks like they saw the writing on the wall and it is probably both a factor and an excuse.

It reads more like an excuse than anything else to me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Massively concerning, I don't think the club would drop the academy without having no option in the matter. I can only imagine the club is not in a good financial state. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

I think it's easy to be hard on decisions like this one, the club needs sufficient funds for this to be viable. When we say it might be they've seen the writing on the wall and funding decreasing means a choice between a competitive first team or an academy side. They be part of a growing and exclusive club in that fashion.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

Hey maybe the people writing the rules have listened to me! You can't run an academy based on only players on your doorstep!

It's very disheartening. It's years of work that you can't just flick a switch and get back if they decided to restart in future. I think the academy should be the last thing to cut, I'd rather see a bottom half 1st team right now if it meant we had the potential of youngsters coming through. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

Interesting. Another clue that licensing is coming back?

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Hey maybe the people writing the rules have listened to me! You can't run an academy based on only players on your doorstep!

I've said many times before there is no necessity for us to only have academies where your club is.

Would it not be an opportunity for some outside the box thinking where perhaps a few clubs come together to share costs and operate a top tier academy between them? Thinking the likes of Leigh, North Wales etc. Would be a shame to lose the expertise and pathways for players.

9 minutes ago, Moove said:

Would it not be an opportunity for some outside the box thinking where perhaps a few clubs come together to share costs and operate a top tier academy between them? Thinking the likes of Leigh, North Wales etc. Would be a shame to lose the expertise and pathways for players.

Didn't Hull FC and Hull KR try that?

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

If the governing body/bodies wants to see more players from further away picked up by clubs, what are they going to do about it? I’ve no problem with the idea in theory but if that’s what they want to measure clubs on, are they going to help this at all? Are they going to employ development coaches? Hold regional academies?

Archived