Suggesting SL clubs enter the challenge cup in Rd1

Personally I think it's a brilliant idea, having fond memories of eagerly waiting for the draw, standing in a freezing Tattersfield watching the Don's take on Hull, Hull KR, Wigan, Widnes Halifax. Magical times making  cup matches something special.

It'll probably never happen though

https://www.totalrl.com/schoey-lets-follow-the-fa-cups-example/

• 2blackrooks changed the title to Suggesting SL clubs enter the challenge cup in Rd1

“I’m not a fan of seeding but how good were Chorley v Wolves and Cheltenham v City”. He realises that the competition he’s speaking of is seeded and normally starts in August, right?

Anyway, I’d welcome it to some extent just for the possibility of getting drawn against someone different once in a while. It’s not often that I’d get the chance to watch Saints at Whitehaven or Swinton these days, though the Challenge Cup has facilitated that in the past. 

Not sure if you've played the game or at what level if you have, but someone could get seriously hurt if you pitched a super league team against some of the teams given passage into the first round by the RFL.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Not sure if you've played the game or at what level if you have, but someone could get seriously hurt if you pitched a super league team against some of the teams given passage into the first round by the RFL.

One of these teams you refer to could potentially win through a couple of rounds anyway. A few years ago, look how close Siddal came to knocking out Toronto.

7 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

One of these teams you refer to could potentially win through a couple of rounds anyway. A few years ago, look how close Siddal came to knocking out Toronto.

Siddal at that time where top of the amateur tree and not just a team of enthusiasts given a geological passage into the competition.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

“I’m not a fan of seeding but how good were Chorley v Wolves and Cheltenham v City”. He realises that the competition he’s speaking of is seeded and normally starts in August, right?

The FA Cup is one of the most seeded competitions in sport.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

The trouble is in Football the underdog always has a chance and park 11 players behind the ball. That is just not possible in Rugby League and obviously someone could get seriously hurt which doesn't apply the same in Football.

I understand what you are saying but is there any evidence that players will get hurt,the gap between levels does appear to be getting wider but we seem to just not want the super league teams to be inconvenienced in any way. Yesterday I watched the rerun of the 1990 Cumbria v Australia tourists on rl cares site,a total mismatch on paper but local lads pushing themselves against the best in the world, giving people memories for life. I would have all super league teams in the first round with guaranteed away games

7 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Yesterday I watched the rerun of the 1990 Cumbria v Australia tourists on rl cares site,a total mismatch on paper but local lads pushing themselves against the best in the world, giving people memories for life. 

I was at that game and remember it well, it was great to be there, it must have been incredible for those guys playing.

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

The trouble is in Football the underdog always has a chance and park 11 players behind the ball. That is just not possible in Rugby League and obviously someone could get seriously hurt which doesn't apply the same in Football.

Exactly, Sheffield Utd showed that last night, as well as countless other examples. I can’t see the 20th best team ever winning away at Saints, it would be mismatch every time. 

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Can you explain that please? Must admit I don’t think it is. 

It’s seeded in the same way the Challenge Cup is with different levels entering at different times. I believe the there’s even a qualifying competition for clubs to play the first round proper 

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Can you explain that please? Must admit I don’t think it is. 

Well, there’s some form of seeding at the Extra Preliminary Round, Preliminary Round, First Qualifying Round, Second Qualifying Round, Fourth Qualifying Round, First Round Proper and Third Round (I think that’s all of them). 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

It’s seeded in the same way the Challenge Cup is with different levels entering at different times. I believe the there’s even a qualifying competition for clubs to play the first round proper 

Ah right, I thought he meant rounds were seeded, as they are in other countries such as the Copa Italia. How ridiculous would it be if all the teams entered at the same time and Liverpool could play Wroxham in Round 1. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ah right, I thought he meant rounds were seeded, as they are in other countries such as the Copa Italia. How ridiculous would it be if all the teams entered at the same time and Liverpool could play Wroxham in Round 1. 

And even more ridiculous that Liverpool could draw Manchester United, then Chelsea, then Manchester City while St Helens Town get Holker Old Boys, then Garstang, then Charnock Richard. 

14 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

And even more ridiculous that Liverpool could draw Manchester United, then Chelsea, then Manchester City while St Helens Town get Holker Old Boys, then Garstang, then Charnock Richard. 

Tbf I’d love that! Easy route to the quarter final. 

5 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Been there and done that, we beat Askam (top of the NCL at the time) in the 1st round away, beat Thatto Heath (the best side outside of the NCL at that time)  in the 2nd round home and got our butts spanked in the 3rd round at Whitehaven (top of the 1st div at the time), I'd like to say the game was closer than the score suggests but did they just put their foot to the floor in 4 x 5 minute periods 😞 

I remember in the early 00's when they had a plenty of teams from the Southern Conference, Barla, French, Russian sides and think a Dutch team may have entered. 

If plenty of Amateur sides want to enter once covid is over expand it. If it means regional qualifying so be it. 

Give the cup more magic more players the chances to play spread the magic use to enjoy the amatuer teams in the old Regal Trophy also.

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

As well as seeding the entry point by rounds, the draw is also regionalised until, I think, the first round proper.

As an aside, I think this "magic of the Challenge Cup" is often based on false memories, or at least cherry-picked ones. The presence of amateur sides has never been a major aspect of it. I've just checked the 1987/88 one as an example (I chose it because it was the first time I went to a Cup game) and there appears to have been a grand total of one amateur side in the draw.

It's obviously better when more clubs are involved but let's not pretend it's ever been an essential part of the Challenge Cup.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

Personally I think it's a brilliant idea, having fond memories of eagerly waiting for the draw, standing in a freezing Tattersfield watching the Don's take on Hull, Hull KR, Wigan, Widnes Halifax. Magical times making  cup matches something special.

It'll probably never happen though

https://www.totalrl.com/schoey-lets-follow-the-fa-cups-example/

I think it's dangerous and all rather pointless. 

Aside from the player welfare issues that have already been mentioned, does Schoey really think that the world crying our for the local derby between Milford Marlins and Leeds, Wigan hosting British Army and St Helens v Hull Dockers?  

The focus should be on putting together the best product possible, not on hoping to go back to a bygone era.  

Archived