Jump to content

More positive news from Nottinghamshire


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If Saints had a spare £100m to chuck at it I still wouldn’t advise them to try to crack Liverpool. 

I’m absolutely convinced that there’s enough untapped gems in the Liverpool and greater Merseyside region at schoolboy level waiting to be unearthed to justify investment from either saints, wire or even Widnes.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

14 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

We're nearly back and it feels just great! 

That was great!

Any more? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

We're nearly back and it feels just great! 

Call me old fashioned but I really liked the way the kids were reading or doing their homework and then going out to play. I think it sends a good message.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Call me old fashioned but I really liked the way the kids were reading or doing their homework and then going out to play. I think it sends a good message.

It also encourages parents (responsible ones, anyway) to let their children play. Some of the Auckland RL clubs have homework sessions in their clubrooms on training nights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

It also encourages parents (responsible ones, anyway) to let their children play. Some of the Auckland RL clubs have homework sessions in their clubrooms on training nights.

There’s plenty of kids who’ve worked really hard during lockdown and very much deserve the chance to get back out there on the field with their buddies. Better times ahead, I hope. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...
8 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Pavilion beginning to take shape. No sitting on our hands during Covid... 

101_DJI_0187_1A.JPG

Great stuff. Its these kinds of infrastructure projects that I really love to see. They really help to create a proper club and help to establish firm roots.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I think Stoke are trying too set up a side, the Stoke Staffies ?. 

It's a long way from North Notts!

Mentioning North Lincs, we had 3 teams in the Merit League 10 years ago. Sadly it didn't really take hold - it was too dependent on individuals running the clubs. Thorne isn't far away - they have a Yorkshire League side.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, tim2 said:

It's a long way from North Notts!

Mentioning North Lincs, we had 3 teams in the Merit League 10 years ago. Sadly it didn't really take hold - it was too dependent on individuals running the clubs. Thorne isn't far away - they have a Yorkshire League side.

We've competition with Bolsover, Sherwood, Immingham and to a degree, Nottingham. Enough to keep our 6 junior age groups busy in 2022 hopefully, especially if the Midlands can resurrect the Junior Festivals that have not made the starting line in the past two years. We're building from the bottom up. Open age is another couple of years away at least. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/02/2021 at 10:57, Eddie said:

If Saints had a spare £100m to chuck at it I still wouldn’t advise them to try to crack Liverpool. 

RL would be successful in Liverpool however St helens is by no shape or form anything whatsoever to do with Liverpool so it would not work. There is too much of a divide between Liverpool and everywhere outside of Liverpool.

There would need to be a Liverpool only club but then the union clubs would close ranks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, yipyee said:

RL would be successful in Liverpool however St helens is by no shape or form anything whatsoever to do with Liverpool so it would not work. There is too much of a divide between Liverpool and everywhere outside of Liverpool.

There would need to be a Liverpool only club but then the union clubs would close ranks.

If someone was insane enough to throw millions at a RL club in Liverpool, the Union clubs in Liverpool would be far too weak to do anything about it. It would be the general apathy of the local population that would stop it working, not Union. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/02/2021 at 23:22, DoubleD said:

Immingham is a fair trek 😁. It’s a real bug bear of mine that the Hull clubs haven’t spread their wings into North Lincolnshire.........there really should be a cluster of clubs there. 

Didn’t know there was a club in Mansfield these days, do you have any more info?

There used to be a team in both Grimsby and Scunthorpe. I guess Immingham now cover the greater Grimsby area. 

Certainly, you'd think there was potential for a rugby league club in Scunthorpe.

Reminds of when, a decade or so ago, I sold a house in the Scunthorpe area. The first estate agent to call round was involved with Scunthorpe RUFC. He told me Halifax RLFC were interested in him during his (union) playing days. Nice bloke - but I placed my business elsewhere, with a lass who sold the house to the first viewer.

Edited by Hopping Mad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

There used to be a team in both Grimsby and Scunthorpe. I guess Immingham now cover the greater Grimsby area. 

Certainly, you'd think there was potential for a rugby league club in Scunthorpe.

Reminds of when, a decade or so ago, I sold a house in the Scunthorpe area. The first estate agent to call round was involved with Scunthorpe RUFC. He told me Halifax RLFC were interested in him during his (union) playing days. Nice bloke - but I placed my business elsewhere, with a lass who sold the house to the first viewer.

Yes I think I played against a team from Scunthorpe, although I think half of them were union players and it was just an open age team, no proper setup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/12/2021 at 18:30, Northern Eel said:

We've competition with Bolsover, Sherwood, Immingham and to a degree, Nottingham. Enough to keep our 6 junior age groups busy in 2022 hopefully, especially if the Midlands can resurrect the Junior Festivals that have not made the starting line in the past two years. We're building from the bottom up. Open age is another couple of years away at least. 

I think the Midlands has a lot of potential at community level. If the east and west can keep increasing the amount of clubs and teams then the Midlands league could become quite strong

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, yipyee said:

RL would be successful in Liverpool however St helens is by no shape or form anything whatsoever to do with Liverpool so it would not work. There is too much of a divide between Liverpool and everywhere outside of Liverpool.

There would need to be a Liverpool only club but then the union clubs would close ranks.

Rugby union (rugby generally, I'm afraid) is an irrelevance in Liverpool. In the Liverpool area, there's only Waterloo of any stature. And, of course, they don't play in Liverpool. The handful of Wirral clubs, none of them in the upper levels, aren't Liverpool either. Liverpool Collegiate (Aigburth) and West Derby-based Sefton (where Liverpool Buccaneers ARLFC used to play) are tiny operations.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/12/2021 at 16:01, Northern Eel said:

102_DJI_0188_2A.JPG

Apologies for being a massive nerd about it, but is there a ground plan for which bits go where? Really interested to see how it's all put together.

Massive congratulations to the club, such a cool project and hopefully leads to increased success.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/02/2021 at 10:54, Cumbrian Mackem said:

This. Remove  hull and Lincolnshire and replace them with st helens&warrington with Merseyside or wigan and north/central Lancashire.

Its RL all over.

No it isn’t. Some areas are simply so football oriented there simply is no point. There really aren’t thousands of kids waiting to be converted, it’s a myth. Added to that it’s hardly a great hardship for any kid in Liverpool to make the journey to Saint Helens and surrounding areas if they really want to give RL a go, ditto Manchester.

North lincs is different as it’s an area with no major sport. Not an area for a pro team but a great area too pick up you athletes. So some well supported amateur clubs could do a job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...