England RL x Oxen - 5 year deal

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

To attract anyone of note you have to promote them (quid pro quo you may say)... as has been said, when do we play next after the world cup?? even if we play again its probably a 3 game series.. 3 games per year... jeez it really isnt much.. 2 mid season internationals and a tournament/series at the end on FTA and we may be able to start talking a little higher (with a world cup every 4 years) but 3 games per year (though not every year) i cannot see bringing people back in. 

IMHO the Hummel deal was more hinged on the GB stuff, after all it is an "iconic shirt" (it isnt the reason to bring them back, but this is the only time the argument actually does work, for the shirt manufacturer) and i bet they loved the fact the tour only just happened, but in a very different way and the tour was a bust. Since then there has been nothing (which is not all down to the RFL)... i'm not surprised they've walked from the national team.. 

I have the new Eagles top and think it is pretty good, fit and size are good and quality seems fine (as much as modern shirts are). Also have an O'neils warrington one which is similar in fit and quality. Also have the Hummel England one, quality is fine but the fit is terrible. Also have an ISC Melbourne top which is better than all of them in terms of fit, quality is on a par to Oxen and O'neils IMHO. My opinion on the Oxen thing will come down to design in the end as dont see much difference with quality. If they can somehow make it "RL" then that would be great as i think that has been lacking in all england shirts, the issue around adding a chevron making it too "St Helensy" etc doesnt help so will be interested to see what they do.

Definitely would have a double red V for England.

I actually think the Oxen, or rather the Elite Pro Sports team behind them, would be great at selling kit, its just the quality of their own kit which is suspect

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Adidas political?

Entrenched in union. The only way we'd get in with Adi is if we were a bigger more profitable sport than union.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

I don't particularly have a problem with Oxen making the shirts and accompanying collections, provided the quality is there.
They're a small sports brand, but everyone starts somewhere.

If they can improve on the Hummel kits, which IMO were poor, it'll be something.

The last England replica shirt is an awful fit.... Unflattering to say the least... I've barely worn it

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I actually think the Oxen, or rather the Elite Pro Sports team behind them, would be great at selling kit, its just the quality of their own kit which is suspect

i agree the double red v would be good 

I dont mind the quality of the eagles stuff certainly better than i thought. 

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The last England replica shirt is an awful fit.... Unflattering to say the least... I've barely worn it

I bought it and returned straight away, truly awful fit and especially terrible round the neck.

I bought Widnes’ shirt last season, as they’re a second team for me (along with Sheffield Eagles) and I wanted to help them out as they’re so skint. However the material is really smooth and silky and it’s absolutely massive (medium, but must be 42 inch chest I reckon). It looks great in the photos and is a nice design so Oxen certainly got that right, if they can change the material and size more appropriately I think they’ll make a great England shirt. 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

i agree the double red v would be good 

I dont mind the quality of the eagles stuff certainly better than i thought. 

It seems logical, but that's probably why it won't happen 😂

I suppose with Leeds I'm comparing with a decade of ISC, who whilst being a relatively unknown brand I was happy with because of the genuine quality of most of their stuff. And I don't know what the situation is with Sheffield but for the Rhinos they seem to be pumping out something new every week.

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agree, always felt the England shirt should be white with double red chevrons

The chevron is a classic international RL style.

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I was buzzing when we got Hummel, they’ve made so many iconic football shirts, and then we got the England one with a neckline that sat just above my navel. 

Same here, a better a neckline and better sizing and they'd have been good. I got 3 jerseys, the one I got for my 12 year old fitted me, the one for my 9 year old was too big for my 12 year old and the one for myself I would have had to put 10 stone on to fill it!

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It seems logical, but that's probably why it won't happen 😂

I suppose with Leeds I'm comparing with a decade of ISC, who whilst being a relatively unknown brand I was happy with because of the genuine quality of most of their stuff. And I don't know what the situation is with Sheffield but for the Rhinos they seem to be pumping out something new every week.

to be honest i am going by the main replica shirt, i have the home and my son the away both are fine. I seen the training kit and without a physical shop i couldnt tell you what the quality is like. the stuff looks pretty generic though, the training tops are a bit different but the hoodies, polos etc are just one simple design... maybe the Leeds one is try to fill the shop so flood it with designs rather than simple being better and just making it look good with good quality stuff.

on your other point the only thing i can think that has stopped this happening is that it is too logical or that the saints shirt form 10-15 years ago which had a double v on it scared everyone off... i doubt its the latter to be fair.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I bought Widnes’ shirt last season, as they’re a second team for me (along with Sheffield Eagles) and I wanted to help them out as they’re so skint. However the material is really smooth and silky and it’s absolutely massive (medium, but must be 42 inch chest I reckon). It looks great in the photos and is a nice design so Oxen certainly got that right, if they can change the material and size more appropriately I think they’ll make a great England shirt. 

I've got last years and this years Widnes shirts in an XL and they're not massive, unless its my kench 😉

See here's where I think RL in this country is in real trouble - we always just seem to go for who'll give us the longest deal rather than the best. I'm not even getting into what I think of Oxen as a brand - I did all that when they were announced for the Rhinos. 

Castore are a sportswear manufacturer some of you may have heard of but i'm sure most of you maybe haven't - they've only been about for around 5 years. They're based out of Liverpool (strong northern ties ✔️) and are going at great pace to get their brand known, not only in the UK but worldwide and across various sports. Some of their current portfolio includes: 

- Andy Murray 

- McLaren F1 

- West Indies Cricket 

- Various football teams including Rangers and Wolves and Newcastle from next year 

This is exactly the kind of brand we'd normally say 'they won't look at RL' and I'd agree, was it not for the fact they already also now produce kits for arguably the 2 most recognisable NRL teams - Sydney Rooster and Melbourne Storm. I can not for the life of me believe they wouldn't have been happy to sit down and talk with the RFL to widen their exposure in RL circles in this country? Alas, we 'make do with what we're given' as is always depressingly the case. 

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I've got last years and this years Widnes shirts in an XL and they're not massive, unless its my kench 😉

Weird, maybe mine was an L labelled wrongly, though tbf I’d have said it was a bit generous for an L RL shirt too. 

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

See here's where I think RL in this country is in real trouble - we always just seem to go for who'll give us the longest deal rather than the best. I'm not even getting into what I think of Oxen as a brand - I did all that when they were announced for the Rhinos. 

Castore are a sportswear manufacturer some of you may have heard of but i'm sure most of you maybe haven't - they've only been about for around 5 years. They're based out of Liverpool (strong northern ties ✔️) and are going at great pace to get their brand known, not only in the UK but worldwide and across various sports. Some of their current portfolio includes: 

- Andy Murray 

- McLaren F1 

- West Indies Cricket 

- Various football teams including Rangers and Wolves and Newcastle from next year 

This is exactly the kind of brand we'd normally say 'they won't look at RL' and I'd agree, was it not for the fact they already also now produce kits for arguably the 2 most recognisable NRL teams - Sydney Rooster and Melbourne Storm. I can not for the life of me believe they wouldn't have been happy to sit down and talk with the RFL to widen their exposure in RL circles in this country? Alas, we 'make do with what we're given' as is always depressingly the case. 

Jobs for the boys, inside links etc left right and centre in RL

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Same here, a better a neckline and better sizing and they'd have been good. I got 3 jerseys, the one I got for my 12 year old fitted me, the one for my 9 year old was too big for my 12 year old and the one for myself I would have had to put 10 stone on to fill it!

have you tried it on now since lockdown... you may be "pleasantly surprised"

agree with the sizing issues,.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Jobs for the boys, inside links etc left right and centre in RL

It just stinks of being an organisation that has no idea of what market it caters for currently, never mind to garner new interest/fans. Not fit for purpose at all. We have more badges than matches at international level. 

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Got a large last year and laid it on top of a large from this year, it's visibly smaller. It's quite frustrating as I live nowhere near the shop so usually buy them online, consistency would be helpful. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

37 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Castore are a great shout - what might have been, eh?

I'm a little disappointed we're moving away from Hummel - being associated with them has been about the only bright spot in an horrendous season for my football team and they've done some great stuff for us. Shame it'll likely forever be associated with an ignominious relegation but anyway... 

Oxen does feel somewhat underwhelming as we come in to a year where the national team will actually be getting some exposure to the wider public. Unlikely to posses that 'must have' cachet which, for example, the New Balance England ODI shirt had two years ago.

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I bought the shorts, not much better the crotch is so low in it that they can look like a skirt... i run into work and back pretty much everyday since the first lockdown and since buying them late 2019 i've hardly worn them, should have pretty much worn them out

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Isn’t there a bit of a general feeling that the quality of Oxen isn’t the best or am I mixing them up with someone else? 

You do love to be negative about anything RL dont you. Surprised you spend so much time on a site you clearly dislike but I suppose it takes all sorts.

45 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

- Andy Murray 

- McLaren F1 

- West Indies Cricket 

What is the negativity based on? How do you know this isn't the best deal?

Just now, Dave T said:

What is the negativity based on? How do you know this isn't the best deal?

I don't - but what I was trying to highlight is at 5 years I'm pretty confident that's the longest deal. This then leads me to believe that's why they went for it, opposed to others who most likely weren't wanting such a long initial commitment based on the international calendar being non existent, other than the WC. The other equally depressing thought is Oxen were the only serious contenders. 

14 minutes ago, cookey said:

You do love to be negative about anything RL dont you. Surprised you spend so much time on a site you clearly dislike but I suppose it takes all sorts.

#PositiveRL. 

My post was to do with clothing, not Rugby League but each to their own. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I don't have an issue with using brands like this if they do a good job.

I share the other concerns though around what are they getting for this 5 year contract? That should be laid out and clear. 

The announcement about having some shelf space in Leeds' shop is underwhelming small time guff.

They should insist on having a percentage of space in every club shop in the game. 

Archived