New North American Competition?

9 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

It's a significant amount of money for a semi pro club. League 1 clubs get between £60-70k. Obviously things very different in the US but I wouldnt call it a modest amount of money 

Sorry but compared to the money in any of the minor pro leagues over here it's very modest.

29 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

You couldn't be more wrong. We're going from something equivalent to the Pennine League to Championship funding overnight. It's absolutely a game changer. We're an established successful club and every season players would have to pay to play, we'd train on patches of grass in parks and play in a park. We got zero funding.

Now we can pay for proper training facilities, play at a decent ground with changing room, fund some development, do marketing have more active recruitment and attract better players by actually being able to pay them.

I'm not sure what your definition of 'game changer' is and maybe you wouldn't be happy unless we waved a wand and created a NRL equivalent, but that simply is impossible. This is near on as good as it gets in terms of getting a sport off the ground in a new country.

Seeing that you're involved with one of the clubs, let me ask you this: Is it enough for you to be able to tell those of your players who also play Union that if they want to play in the new league they can't do that any more because they'll have to concentrate on this sport instead?  That at least would be a minor game changer.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Which club are you involved with Tex?

I'd rather try and retain a semblance of anonymity at the moment mate 🙂 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Sorry but compared to the money in any of the minor pro leagues over here it's very modest.

Seeing that you're involved with one of the clubs, let me ask you this: Is it enough for you to be able to tell those of your players who also play Union that if they want to play in the new league they can't do that any more because they'll have to concentrate on this sport instead?  That at least would be a minor game changer.

I'm not particularly interested in trying to prove to you whether it's a game changer and spending all day responding to whatever random criteria you place on the term 'game changer'. I've explained to you how it's a significant positive change for RL in North America and the reasons why, if you aren't happy with that that's fine. 

3736-mipm.gif

5 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I'm not particularly interested in trying to prove to you whether it's a game changer and spending all day responding to whatever random criteria you place on the term 'game changer'. I've explained to you how it's a significant positive change for RL in North America and the reasons why, if you aren't happy with that that's fine. 

My heart goes out to you Tex.  You simply can't win on these forums.  Most of the posters on here have waaaaaay tooooooo much time on their hands.

2 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

My heart goes out to you Tex.  You simply can't win on these forums.  Most of the posters on here have waaaaaay tooooooo much time on their hands.

I cant complain, I spend too much time distracted from work myself! I'm pretty excited about this though and happy to talk about what I can, just not interested in engaging in pointless back and forth on nonsensical issues.

3736-mipm.gif

48 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

BP's only criteria is a full size pitch and numbers marked out.

48 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:
56 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I take it your answer is No then but you don't want to come out and admit that because that would mean it's not really a game changer after all.

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I take it your answer is No then but you don't want to come out and admit that because that would mean it's not really a game changer after all.

Does it really matter if it's classed as a game changer or not. It's definitely a lot better than anything they've had before so no matter what, it's a positive story

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Sorry but compared to the money in any of the minor pro leagues over here it's very modest

Where is 'over here'? 

Firstly don't try to compare Rugby League, a minor, mostly amateur sport in North America to other more established sports. 

As Tex has explained for many of the clubs involved it is a game changer. In Rugby League terms it's a significant amount of money. League 1 clubs in England which is the semi-pro 3rd tier of the sport only receive £60-70k in central funding. If this information is correct clubs will receive central funding comparable to Championship clubs (tier 2) in England. The amount being talked about topped up by sponsorship and ticket sales could completely change things for clubs in North America. It will absolutely be a game changer for Rugby League in North America. 

I should add at the bottom that I keep thinking this is too good to be true and a big April fool joke but we shall see!

Perhaps its being ''sold'' to the investor as a ground-floor franchising opportunity.

Like Soccer over there and MLR they have to start somewhere, with the intention of growing from there.

How long was it, (after its inception) before their Soccer clubs could afford an over-the-hill David Beckham?

I think its really good news and can hardly wait for confirmation tomorrow or is it Thursday?

I've got my fingers crossed, its all true. 

17 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Where is 'over here'? 

Firstly don't try to compare Rugby League, a minor, mostly amateur sport in North America to other more established sports. 

As Tex has explained for many of the clubs involved it is a game changer. In Rugby League terms it's a significant amount of money. League 1 clubs in England which is the semi-pro 3rd tier of the sport only receive £60-70k in central funding. If this information is correct clubs will receive central funding comparable to Championship clubs (tier 2) in England. The amount being talked about topped up by sponsorship and ticket sales could completely change things for clubs in North America. It will absolutely be a game changer for Rugby League in North America. 

I should add at the bottom that I keep thinking this is too good to be true and a big April fool joke but we shall see!

Over here is North America, I'm Canadian.

I'm well aware that it's a significant amount in RL terms and  a lot more money than those clubs have ever had so now they'll be able to get better facilities.  To be a game changer though it would need to be enough to allow them to make material changes in how they operate, e.g. enabling them to have more than just something played in the Union off-season due to relying on Union players to fill out their rosters.

Tex mentioned potentially doing some development, but if the top level of the game in the US remains limited to the Union off-season due to reliance on players who also play that sport how effective can such development really be?

12 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I'm well aware that it's a significant amount in RL terms and  a lot more money than those clubs have ever had so now they'll be able to get better facilities.  To be a game changer though it would need to be enough to allow them to make material changes in how they operate, e.g. enabling them to have more than just something played in the Union off-season due to relying on Union players to fill out their rosters.

Tex mentioned potentially doing some development, but if the top level of the game in the US remains limited to the Union off-season due to reliance on players who also play that sport how effective can such development really be?

Why not wait and find out, before pouring water on it before you know any details? 

31 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

An acorn, contains everything it needs to grow a forest inside it.

You're acting like a spoilt child over some subjective definition of the term ''game changer''.

Come off it, your argument is boring and pointless. The black and blue hue of your bruised ego, can be seen from here.

By your logic, the only way a sport, can grow in an acceptable way, is for it to appear fully fledged, instantaneously, (necessitating multi billion dollar investment), matching the NRL on opening night.

Dream on. 

Is that the way Major League Soccer started? Is that how MLR began? Are they growing, still developing? 

Can't you conceive of exponential growth from small beginnings? Gathering investment and accelerating, as they grow.

This news (if its true) could be the first significant step in that direction.

It's a perverse kind of ''fan'' (and we seem to have far more than our fair share) who would interpret a 2.5 million dollar investment as insignificant. 

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Perhaps its being ''sold'' to the investor as a ground-floor franchising opportunity.

Like Soccer over there and MLR they have to start somewhere, with the intention of growing from there.

How long was it, (after its inception) before their Soccer clubs could afford an over-the-hill David Beckham?

I think its really good news and can hardly wait for confirmation tomorrow or is it Thursday?

I've got my fingers crossed, its all true. 

I don't know the full details but I think this isn't far from the truth. 

3736-mipm.gif

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

How old are you? I've no idea or interest in whether we could stop people playing union, I also don't care. Our squad will have a couple of Union players and they are welcome to go back to playing union at the end of the season. Our goal isn't to stop people playing union, it's to grow rugby league. That's why we are spending money on development so we can develop rugby league players not borrow players from other sports. If you cant see the significance of that then there is truly no hope. 

3736-mipm.gif

If it gets going (in Toronto) I will certainly buy season tickets and I think the majority of the gang that used to go to TWP games with me will also join the party. I'd say regular crowds of 5-6000 are possible. And upwards from that at playoff and special event games..like when we invite UK L1 and Championship teams over. Oh and Rhinos, Saints and Catalans - you know those clubs whose owners know the earth is round.

Part of me also expects this to be an early April Fool, however I think Tex has a lot of credibility and if he thinks it’s happening then that’s good enough for me. Although I’m thousands of miles away on the West Coast I think it makes total sense to concentrate on the areas mentioned, as well as being able to control travel costs somewhat there is the possibility of building up local rivalries which also exist in those cities in other sports, plus by trying to minimize travel ( well as much as you can over here), you are more likely to get players buying in, as it’s not such a huge commitment on their time. You never know if this is successful, and there is also a genuine attempt at a World Cup bid for 2029, then maybe the next logical step down the line would be the creation of a Western Conference and tap into California, Utah and British Columbia. I can but dream!

On 27/03/2021 at 16:57, Dave T said:

It'll be good if people are proved wrong and RL becomes huge in North America and it is a genuine missed opportunity. 

There is nothing bad to come from that, there is no reason to bring SL into it tbh. 

I don't understand how RL becoming huge in north America could ever be seen as a missed opportunity. It's surely the best case scenario. A sport can never hope to compete on the world stage with just 2 professional leagues. 

Mascord just dropped this:

"EVERY club accepted into Rugby League America - to be launched tomorrow - had to guarantee their were valued at US$1 million and had turned over US$200,000 in each of the past two years."

new rise.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Mascord just dropped this:

"EVERY club accepted into Rugby League America - to be launched tomorrow - had to guarantee their were valued at US$1 million and had turned over US$200,000 in each of the past two years."

I'm not sure how that is even possible for any American club.

Archived