Jump to content

Recommended Posts


19 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The astonishing stats from Hull FC's Warrington stalemate as Danny Houghton smashes record

Danny Houghton made 85 tackles against Warrington Wolves at the KCOM Stadium.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/danny-houghton-super-league-record-5314669.amp

 

What a record!

Incredible. 

Hopefully we'll see a video of it on the social channels quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a great stat but I’m a bit conflicted when I hear commentators telling us about huge tackle counts from players . Obviously it’s a big effort defensively but the game has two sides . The other half is with the ball - the threat you are , the scoots you make as a hooker and the questions you ask defences , the dimensions in your game .I know it’s another position but I remember hindmarsh got into a mode of just making tons of tackles and barely had any effect with the ball , and it was mentioned a fair bit that he could do with finding a happy medium . Nathan Peats was the same . That’s more a general point I’m not having a go at houghton who must fit  into what Hull want to do 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Incredible. 

Hopefully we'll see a video of it on the social channels quickly.

Undoubtedly a great achievement and Houghton is without a doubt one of the hardest working defenders in SL. The bit I find uncomfortable is if/when a video does emerge of this feat, how many times will he be the main/first man in tackler? Many scoff (rightly at times) at union stats where they wax lyrical about <insert player> making a whopping 19 tackles in a game, but forget these are actual first man in tackles where the player goes to ground or held up. In league it seems we count a player as being a tackler if they are in any contact with the ball carrier when held is called. Like I say, still an amazing effort and happy to concede that wasn't the case here if I see a video of Houghton smashing everyone in all these tackles! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It’s a great stat but I’m a bit conflicted when I hear commentators telling us about huge tackle counts from players . Obviously it’s a big effort defensively but the game has two sides . The other half is with the ball - the threat you are , the scoots you make as a hooker and the questions you ask defences , the dimensions in your game .I know it’s another position but I remember hindmarsh got into a mode of just making tons of tackles and barely had any effect with the ball , and it was mentioned a fair bit that he could do with finding a happy medium . Nathan Peats was the same . That’s more a general point I’m not having a go at houghton who must fit  into what Hull want to do 

Totally agree. Clark does a lot of tackling but I would hate for him to make 50+ in a game.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Undoubtedly a great achievement and Houghton is without a doubt one of the hardest working defenders in SL. The bit I find uncomfortable is if/when a video does emerge of this feat, how many times will he be the main/first man in tackler? Many scoff (rightly at times) at union stats where they wax lyrical about <insert player> making a whopping 19 tackles in a game, but forget these are actual first man in tackles where the player goes to ground or held up. In league it seems we count a player as being a tackler if they are in any contact with the ball carrier when held is called. Like I say, still an amazing effort and happy to concede that wasn't the case here if I see a video of Houghton smashing everyone in all these tackles! 

The effort involved in being second or third man in is massively underrated though. Still a fair element of skill involved and an ability to impact the game through ruck speed. I think the denigration of being second/third man in goes back to a very 90's view of the game where all that is going on in a tackle is putting someone on the ground.

With that said, the hype about tackle counts generally is a bit weird. It's less true for middles where they have the option of getting involved in tackles they could have potentially avoided  (i.e. third man in or work rate from marker). However, with second-rowers for example, either it's a tackle they needed to make, in which case any player in that position would have had that tackle count, or it's a tackle they don't need to make, in which case the tackle count is actually a bad thing. There's also the fact that tackle counts are negatively correlated with winning matches...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The astonishing stats from Hull FC's Warrington stalemate as Danny Houghton smashes record

Danny Houghton made 85 tackles against Warrington Wolves at the KCOM Stadium.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/danny-houghton-super-league-record-5314669.amp

 

What a record!

3rd man on the tackle every time and this stat covers up his lack of attacking prowess. 

 

The most overrated hooker in super league history and nowhere near international quality 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The storm said:

3rd man on the tackle every time and this stat covers up his lack of attacking prowess. 

 

The most overrated hooker in super league history and nowhere near international quality 

I think this is harsh. I don't think he is overrated and I don't really hear anyone comparing him to the likes of Roby, Clarke or Hodgson. I'd have him below McIlorum too. I don't really see people championing him for England and most seem to appreciate him for being a hardworking, hooker who does a good job. I don't see how this makes him overrated.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The storm said:

3rd man on the tackle every time and this stat covers up his lack of attacking prowess. 

 

The most overrated hooker in super league history and nowhere near international quality 

Bloody Hell!

Has he slept with your missus or summat?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

                                    "It started out in innocence, the way that most things do,
                                     a thousand people crammed in one place, but the only face was you"

Link to post
Share on other sites

How many tackles are made just by one player these days? If that was the case every player would be offloading for fun. Great achievement by Houghton - he has an amazing engine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Bloody Hell!

Has he slept with your missus or summat?

He won a cup final for you with the most important tackle in a final. I personally wished he had missed that tackle. 😁

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

He won a cup final for you with the most important tackle in a final.

Really?

Must have missed that one.

I'll have to check the video of the game....again...

  • Haha 1

                                    "It started out in innocence, the way that most things do,
                                     a thousand people crammed in one place, but the only face was you"

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

He was probably the third man in.

Watch The Third Man online - BFI Player

                                    "It started out in innocence, the way that most things do,
                                     a thousand people crammed in one place, but the only face was you"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Bloody Hell!

Has he slept with your missus or summat?

He was third one on top.

 

Edit... apologies to hindle ... I typed without seeing his bon mot.

Edited by Rupert Prince
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scubby said:

How many tackles are made just by one player these days? If that was the case every player would be offloading for fun. Great achievement by Houghton - he has an amazing engine.

I believe it's around 20%, with around 45% by 2 men, 25% by 3 men and 10% by 4+. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Didn’t Houghton hold the record for quite a while, till Smithies took it?

If a bloke has the energy to be 3rd man on the tackle constantly 

 

He is nt doing enough elsewhere 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Bloody Hell!

Has he slept with your missus or summat?

No

 

He just fell on top of her and claimed it as a shag 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess Houghton was first man into alot of those tackles.

Not sure what The Storm has got against him. No one claims him to be a world beater. But he's got an incredible engine and he does the little things right. The quality of the passes from dummy half is an under-appreciated part of RL, he is one of the best for putting the ball exactly where it needs to be.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some harsh comments about a very good pro and a very good player - anyone who says different doesn't know RL or is just making lazy comments and have probably never seen him play.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...