Alleged racism

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the best timing either with the social media blackout which loads of sports are involved in this weekend but not sure about RL as haven't heard much said.. 

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

Not the best timing either with the social media blackout which loads of sports are involved in this weekend but not sure about RL as haven't heard much said.. 

Some clubs have said they are taking part.

Luckily he didnt say fat as well! Imagine the uproar! I hope the french players don't start taking offense when they play the English. Or is that a different thing? Serious question. Is mentioning Polynesian racist? Is Polynesia not an island in the pacific so a nationality? I'm not being flippant I live in another country and speak another language most of the time and lots of things have changed since I've been away. 

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

The RFL, Super League, World Cup and the clubs will be apparently.

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

Luckily he didnt say fat as well! Imagine the uproar! I hope the french players don't start taking offense when they play the English. Or is that a different thing? Serious question. Is mentioning Polynesian racist? Is Polynesia not an island in the pacific so a nationality? I'm not being flippant I live in another country and speak another language most of the time and lots of things have changed since I've been away. 

yes, calling someone a stupid polynesian **** is racist. just like calling someone a black ****. John Terry was banned for a reason

2 hours ago, egm said:

yes, calling someone a stupid polynesian **** is racist. just like calling someone a black ****. John Terry was banned for a reason

Exactly, two of those words are (sadly) pretty fair game on a pitch, not nice, but not unacceptable. Introducing the ethnicity of the player to it is totally unnecessary and does change the dynamic.

32 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Yes it is racist - dismissing it as not is just as much of a problem as the racism itself

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

Polynesian is an ethno-linguistic racial group covering the likes of Samoa, NZ, the Cook Islands. Its often erroneously used in a pejorative sense to refer to all Pacific Islanders. 

When used in the pejorative (rather than descriptive) sense, as I think only the most intransigent person would deny is the alleged case here, its been used historically to demean and devalue Polynesian people.

Regardless - Clubb could have said and meant all of what he said without bringing Savelio's ethnicity into it. The accused language is below the bar expected for a professional RL player to another.

Pretty sure Polynesian is an ethnicity, so yes, it's racist. Like putting Asian or black in front of that word. Savelio is from New Zealand and British, so that's his nationality.

Yes, there are cases where people will use Aussie, or pommy, or Kiwi or even French before an insult and get away with it - it's a double standard that some nationalities can be fair game while others aren't, but that's not really the issue in this case.

37 minutes ago, Damien said:

Let's remember the alleged bit of the title.

If Clubb did say this then some of his teammates would be the first to take issue and I hope the evidence is there to categorically prove what happened.

Well, I can imagine it was probably an awkward conversation with his Papua new guinean coach whenever they spoke about it

I had Radio 4 on this morning, and was surprised to hear RL mentioned at all in the sports report, let alone second item after the Football... until I remembered Savelio's allegation.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I read somewhere that Lam said it was tactical rather than anything else. 

Well Lam did say that, but I wouldn't expect him to say otherwise............it may be the real reason but it also seemed quite a coincidence to me. Certainly he'd have been aware of the accusation and perhaps he thought he'd keep Clubb out the firing line for everyone's best interests

I remember Justin Carney getting into trouble for calling Ryan Bailey something similar, he got about 8 games I think. Don't think he played for Salford again after that.

It just seems such an odd thing to say, why bring race, colour etc into this at all. Surely the rest of the phrase is abusive enough? 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Should be borne in mind the comments of Jackson Hastings and Brian Carney after the match too about the culture of the England selection policy...

Yeah I listened to that and couldn't help thinking Carney was speaking about a 'policy' that certainly doesn't formally exist and if it did would be extremely controversial at best, very racist at worst. I don't have any written quotes to add to validate this, but from memory when Wane has been asked about this in the past he more talks about players that have come through the 'system' in England being his priority, rather than a player's heritage. I think Wane does need to set his position out clearly on this though, because he's very close to getting some accusations thrown his way too. 

Archived