Sun 4th Jul: SL: St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 19:30 (TV)

Who will win?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/21 at 19:00

It should be a Saints win, but id expect Woolf to stick too the same game plan. 
When we’re stuck near in our line it’ll be 

tackle1-Welsby 

tackle2-Naiqama 

tackle3-Grace

tackle4-Makinson 

tackle5-###### kick from Fages 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Josef K said:

Ruddy cheating scousers, telling the Cas squad to get injured and catch Covid19. The RFL is so corrupt but only for the bigger clubs, and that is why you never see the SL minnows in the finals. 

I can’t speak for someone else’s intent, but he suggested it was “convenient”. It was convenient for Saints not to have to play twice in 5 days. I don’t think you can infer an accusation of cheating into that...

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I can’t speak for someone else’s intent, but he suggested it was “convenient”. It was convenient for Saints not to have to play twice in 5 days. I don’t think you can infer an accusation of cheating into that...

Not that convenient for Saints, over the whole month of June they only played 1 league game & 1 cup game with other clubs cancelling the other 3 games. Its hard to get any sort of consistency if your not playing regularly

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

19 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Not that convenient for Saints, over the whole month of June they only played 1 league game & 1 cup game with other clubs cancelling the other 3 games. Its hard to get any sort of consistency if your not playing regularly

There will be 6 or 7 clubs that would have gladly traded places.

Don't really care either way. The season is ruined anyway and it's just a matter of going through the motions. Sure, a win is a win, but for years, critical fans will be dismissing the season as a bit of a sham. 

A close game until the last minute when Oliver Gildart. trying to clear his own line, snaps his Achilles resulting in him dropping the ball, 24 concerned players rush to the stricken player offering their support while Theo Fages picks up the ball and scores beneath the posts, celebrating like he's just won Saints the Grand Final.

John Drake and ckn jet off on holiday together after the match thread hits over 300 pages and 98 members are threatened with lifetime bans.

Or Saints might win at a canter.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Don't really care either way. The season is ruined anyway and it's just a matter of going through the motions. Sure, a win is a win, but for years, critical fans will be dismissing the season as a bit of a sham. 

If Saints go on to win the GF i won’t be shouting that it’s a sham, just like last season. 

12 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

I saw enough from Wigan in their previous game to think that they have been down to the bottom and with a favourable fixture list ahead they will, even if they lose this game, begin their assault on the business end of the fixture list.

Wigan will bounce back I'm sure, although I don't know how you got that from the Warrington game. I thought they were extremely poor.

I don't agree with all of these predictions of a Saints massacre. We largely do not run riot and don't score many points. Wigan will be up for it and offer some defensive resistance.

Wigan's attack has looked as clunky as ours though. I wouldn't expect an exhibition of attacking rugby. It'll finish something like Saints 18-8 Wigan, I reckon.

My fear is that we'll take a hammering, but as others have said, Saints don't look to be a free scoring side of the kind that beat us 75-0 all those years ago. I would guess that the score might be similar to the Wire game.

Wigan have had a tendency to start slow and improve as the game goes on. I'd expect Saints, if there's any rustiness, to also start slow before improving as the game goes on. I could see us possibly keeping it close for 20-30 minutes with both teams being wasteful with their chances but I'd be surprised if Saints don't eventually end up putting at least 30 points on us.

I'd really love to be wrong but it feels like a very similar season to 2017 when Wane was in charge. We never really got going, injuries mounted and cost us, we had a bad run of form and some dire results and when everyone expected us to come good at the end of the year we limped out with a poor last day performance at Wakefield. I don't know where the improvement in the squad is likely to come from this year. Our young pack means there's always potential for us to have a strong pack in the next couple of years with some smart recruitment decisions, but for the time being that over reliance on young forwards seems like being a weakness we won't overcome.

Never thought I'd say this ahead of a derby but we could lose and I'd still be happy provided we put in an improved performance and show signs that there's better to come.

12 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Wigan are in free fall, in a few weeks time they’ll be in the bottom half of the table. Saints by 20.

We'll wave hello when we join you, then.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When Hardaker and Bateman return they will be stronger moving hastings back to halfback improves them, they won't be bottom half and will still be in the mix at the end. 

I just hope Wigan can raise themselves enough to make this a proper game. I think all things being equal they might have been able to, but I think the quick turnaround will really hurt them.

Has anyone else noticed that on the BBC website game pages the home team is listed in positions 1 to 13 but the away side is often listed 1 to 7 and then 13 to 8.

It's the same for the game this evening. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/match/EVP3543388

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Wigan will raise themselves. It’s the derby after all. Hard fought game ahead…

A pedant writes*: it's not the derby, it's the Derby.

*types, actually.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hastings limping a bit after that. Not a good sign.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

First solid chance of the match, and Hastings gets the ball dead before Fages can pounce.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived