Jump to content

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Where is this mentioned (I can’t find anything online). If that happens then that really is curtains for the World Cup.

If they have signed agreements it would be hard to pull out, it could bankrupt their govening body

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just had the NZRL CEO on thIs evenings news,  he had a smirk on his face and was almost laughing when he was  justifying the reason for not fronting up. He stated that the NZRL would be millions out of pocket if they attended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, frank said:

Just had the NZRL CEO on thIs evenings news,  he had a smirk on his face and was almost laughing when he was  justifying the reason for not fronting up. He stated that the NZRL would be millions out of pocket if they attended.

He's not come across well on anything I've seen so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect other countries will withdraw as well.  The NRL clubs will lean on the ARL and NZRL and they will lean on the governing bodies of the PI nations to ensure their key players don't come over.

It would be absolutely wonderful if the players took a stand but it's a power play and I won't blame anyone who doesn't stand up to the body that pays their wages.  But I will forever blame the NRL and won't forgive or forget.

  • Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I expect the Aussies will be working hard behind the scenes to get this cancelled/delayed 

Unfortunately the Pacific nations rely heavily on NRL funding and I’m sure the “threat” of losing that funding will prove to be the deciding factor in their participation.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, frank said:

Just had the NZRL CEO on thIs evenings news,  he had a smirk on his face and was almost laughing when he was  justifying the reason for not fronting up. He stated that the NZRL would be millions out of pocket if they attended.

If they get money for attending and expenses are covered, I wonder how they could lose millions? It's turning into a real power game.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

you missed a great game, though. Its not their fault they are ruled by the guy on the left.

spacer.png

 

RIP John Cornell.

Condolences to his friends and Family.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Unfortunately the Pacific nations rely heavily on NRL funding and I’m sure the “threat” of losing that funding will prove to be the deciding factor in their participation.

Nice little Pacific Cup for them in the Autumn

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

If they get money for attending and expenses are covered, I wonder how they could lose millions? It's turning into a real power game.

It’s a lie. He is lying.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Unfortunately the Pacific nations rely heavily on NRL funding and I’m sure the “threat” of losing that funding will prove to be the deciding factor in their participation.

They don't want to participate and influence others to join them? If pressure is applied, even tacitly, that's bordering on sabotage. I can't believe they would stoop that low.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RayCee said:

They don't want to participate and influence others to join them? If pressure is applied, even tacitly, that's bordering on sabotage. I can't believe they would stoop that low.

They clearly have, though. 

  • Like 2

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Unfortunately the Pacific nations rely heavily on NRL funding and I’m sure the “threat” of losing that funding will prove to be the deciding factor in their participation.

Yep … I think this will happen unfortunately. Massive pressure from the ARLC will be brought on the players/teams/governing bodies from other South Pacific nations to withdraw. Of course I'm hoping otherwise but I'm preparing for the inevitable.

And if so,  that will be the end of my 46-year following of the game …

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dkw said:

Hey @Sports Prophet, you owe me for our bet.

Not yet I don’t… where does the RLPA statement say they were not consulted by the ARLC???

Nowhere. Just says that “a number of players” (flimsy comment at best) views were “not enough to prevent this decision”.

If anything, that says they were consulted.

RLPA Statement This Morning

“The news overnight that Australia and New Zealand will not compete in the 2021 World Cup is no doubt disappointing for players who were hoping to represent their Nations in the tournament,” said RLPA Chief Executive Officer, Clint Newton.

“We have had feedback from a number of players eligible for these Nations stating their intentions to compete in the tournament, pending more information becoming available in the coming weeks. 

“Clearly, the views of those players have not been enough to prevent this decision and we believe it has been made prematurely.

“We have worked closely with Rugby League World Cup staff for some time now and we are committed to continuing those discussions regarding player health and safety protocols. 

“We have an obligation to advocate on behalf of all players to secure the best possible terms and conditions for the tournament, and this remains ongoing. 

“For players representing remaining participating Nations, our priority will be to help ensure appropriate health and safety measures are in place, and also provide them with the relevant information to make an informed decision about participation.

“We had anticipated that players from Australia and New Zealand would have that same opportunity, which has unfortunately been taken away from them with last night’s decision.”

Clint Newton
Chief Executive Officer
Rugby League Players’ Association

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

RIP John Cornell.

Condolences to his friends and Family.

Apologies. I was referring to the character, not the person. 

  • Like 2

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

They don't want to participate and influence others to join them? If pressure is applied, even tacitly, that's bordering on sabotage. I can't believe they would stoop that low.

Can you not,I don’t for a second believe there is level the NRL will not sink to in order to get their way.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not yet I don’t… where does the RLPA statement say they were not consulted by the ARLC???

Nowhere. Just says that “a number of players” (flimsy comment at best) views were “not enough to prevent this decision”.

If anything, that says they were consulted.

RLPA Statement This Morning

“The news overnight that Australia and New Zealand will not compete in the 2021 World Cup is no doubt disappointing for players who were hoping to represent their Nations in the tournament,” said RLPA Chief Executive Officer, Clint Newton.

“We have had feedback from a number of players eligible for these Nations stating their intentions to compete in the tournament, pending more information becoming available in the coming weeks. 

“Clearly, the views of those players have not been enough to prevent this decision and we believe it has been made prematurely.

“We have worked closely with Rugby League World Cup staff for some time now and we are committed to continuing those discussions regarding player health and safety protocols. 

“We have an obligation to advocate on behalf of all players to secure the best possible terms and conditions for the tournament, and this remains ongoing. 

“For players representing remaining participating Nations, our priority will be to help ensure appropriate health and safety measures are in place, and also provide them with the relevant information to make an informed decision about participation.

“We had anticipated that players from Australia and New Zealand would have that same opportunity, which has unfortunately been taken away from them with last night’s decision.”

Clint Newton
Chief Executive Officer
Rugby League Players’ Association

Morning Peter 

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not yet I don’t… where does the RLPA statement say they were not consulted by the ARLC???

Nowhere. Just says that “a number of players” (flimsy comment at best) views were “not enough to prevent this decision”.

If anything, that says they were consulted.

RLPA Statement This Morning

“The news overnight that Australia and New Zealand will not compete in the 2021 World Cup is no doubt disappointing for players who were hoping to represent their Nations in the tournament,” said RLPA Chief Executive Officer, Clint Newton.

“We have had feedback from a number of players eligible for these Nations stating their intentions to compete in the tournament, pending more information becoming available in the coming weeks. 

“Clearly, the views of those players have not been enough to prevent this decision and we believe it has been made prematurely.

“We have worked closely with Rugby League World Cup staff for some time now and we are committed to continuing those discussions regarding player health and safety protocols. 

“We have an obligation to advocate on behalf of all players to secure the best possible terms and conditions for the tournament, and this remains ongoing. 

“For players representing remaining participating Nations, our priority will be to help ensure appropriate health and safety measures are in place, and also provide them with the relevant information to make an informed decision about participation.

“We had anticipated that players from Australia and New Zealand would have that same opportunity, which has unfortunately been taken away from them with last night’s decision.”

Clint Newton
Chief Executive Officer
Rugby League Players’ Association

Garbage.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know the Aussies on here are angry but are the league fans dien there angry or are they basically like the Fox news commentators? 

It`s a strange one, the story is disappearing fast off the papers, at least the two I read, the `Sydney Morning Herald`, a Sydney based NSW paper and `The Australian` a national broadsheet. Yet when I check the comments section attached to the two articles that remain on the topic (one in each paper) there is considerable outrage.

As far as the tabloids I imagine a little faux outrage and then back to Gutho`s dog and the Penrith hookers marital issues and whether we will ply NZ at the end of the year. But their paper is meaningless, they are just looking to get a headline.

Let`s put it this way, if this was the cancellation of the RUWC or soccer WC, it would be all over the papers, with all the opinion writers having a say, with the RLWC the papers obviously don`t consider it news worthy enough than to have one story each and that will be gone by this time tomorrow. A lot of people seem disappointed, but it ain`t big news.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Do you still believe that a fat man in a red suit brings you presents at Christmas?

What are you trying to say?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's all just a crazy banged up crock of dishes created by a bunch of Lily livered chicken dinners who don't deserve any sympathy at all. As an old boss used to say, I hope their rabbit dies and they can't sell the hutch.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, frank said:

Just had the NZRL CEO on thIs evenings news,  he had a smirk on his face and was almost laughing when he was  justifying the reason for not fronting up. He stated that the NZRL would be millions out of pocket if they attended.

Well they will be now because of the millions the nrl just gave them.... wait till they need some more from a nice uk tour... sod off

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Gomersall said:

 

The problem is that the NRL power play will have everyone towing the line with veiled threats.

Just 24 hours after McGuire is quoted as saying he was keen for the World Cup to go ahead there is an NRL.com article where he is saying this about players switching to other PI nations...

"I think all the players will consult with the experts to decide if it's the right thing to do but as far as I understand you've got two big strong countries making the right decision for the players," he said.

"I'd advise them to have a look at the reasons why Australia and New Zealand made the decisions not to go ahead, purely because of player safety. Players need to be aware of those things."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/23/catch-you-in-22-maguire-keen-for-world-cup-to-be-postponed/

The whole thing just stinks.

  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked this topic
  • John Drake unlocked this topic
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...