Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Perhaps another solution is to replace Australia and New Zealand with an Australian invitation 13 and then New Zealand invitation 13? 

but again I suppose that runs the risk that one of the sides will win and the press will just laugh??

Just trying to run through ideas in my head here, not saying we need to do this! Just want a solution to be found so we can continue with the World Cup, if all the other sides are willing to go then the tournament must go ahead!

It reminds me a bit of the boycotted Olympics in 1980 and 1984, they went ahead anyway and they were still fine Events.

• Like 1

Stuff like "Invitational" and "President's" teams just make me think either of RU and cricket tours where you play thrown-together squads like this as a warm-up before the real internationals, or events like basketball All-Star games where, even though It's nice to be selected, the game itself ends up having next to no real competitive element and in the case of basketball, just looks like a giant 3-point shooting and dunk contest spread out over the length of a full game.

Replace Aus and NZ with actual nations.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MidlandsJohn said:

Stuff like "Invitational" and "President's" teams just make me think either of RU and cricket tours where you play thrown-together squads like this as a warm-up before the real internationals, or events like basketball All-Star games where, even though It's nice to be selected, the game itself ends up having next to no real competitive element and in the case of basketball, just looks like a giant 3-point shooting and dunk contest spread out over the length of a full game.

Replace Aus and NZ with actual nations.

Yep I can understand that viewpoint 

1 hour ago, MidlandsJohn said:

There are a few on here in favour of Maori and Aboriginal teams filling the slots, personally I'm against it simply because it runs the risk of making the WC look completely tinpot if one of them wins, or worse we get a NZ Maori vs. Aus Indigenous final.

Plus you know the Aussie press would just love it if the Indigenous side won because they can then spin the line that RL in the wider world is so ###### that teams can't even beat a side that isn't even the "real" Australian squad.

The way around that is for those teams to play as the national teams of Australia and New Zealand, wearing the same uniforms as the Kangaroos and Kiwis.

• Like 3

Don't think we should try to replace Aus and NZ with any team representative in any way of Aus and NZ. The players ned to feel the impact of Vlandis stealing their moment, their opportunity.

Read his Wkilpedia entry and you'll see the naked ambition of Vlandis.  Its a power grab, no more no less. Capitalising like he has on the misery of those who have suffered -or worse, died- from Covid is a cheap and dirty trick. As youll read, in the past, he couldn't have cared less about the well being of horses. Now he couldnt care less about the well being of players. 

• Like 2

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

The damning thing about PVL Is that he claims this is all about protecting the players from Covid, yet he restarted the NRL competition last year in the middle of Covid before any other sporting competition in the entire world! There was no concern about player safety then, with all the appropriate bubbles etc, so why the sudden concern now when the World Cup organisers have bent over backwards to ensure bubble protocols will be followed?

• Like 8

Leave Australia and New Zealand where they are. Play the world cup without them. Then over the next decade invite Tonga PNG and Samoa on northen hemispere tours. They'll prove very popular with the passion they play the game and crowds will fill stadiums. At the next world cup Australia and New Zealand can be left out again as their ratings will be so low they will need to play qualifying games against each other.  If deemed good enough they will still have to prove they are trustworthy enough to get a place. 

• Like 5

Wibble

Unless something drastic happens, forget about  composite teams and bring in the next two strongest teams. They would be delighted to take part and would give the game a lot of publicity in their countries 

No good messing around they have had their chance.

Although Aussie and NZ will be missing, it's to be hoped those with tickets still attend  the revised games, otherwise  you will be playing into the above hands. Also the organizers have  done an outstanding job and deserve everyones support.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Leave Australia and New Zealand where they are. Play the world cup without them. Then over the next decade invite Tonga PNG and Samoa on northen hemispere tours. They'll prove very popular with the passion they play the game and crowds will fill stadiums. At the next world cup Australia and New Zealand can be left out again as their ratings will be so low they will need to play qualifying games against each other.  If deemed good enough they will still have to prove they are trustworthy enough to get a place. 

I think only the quater finalists, plus the next host nation, from a WC get automatic entry for the next one, so Aus and NZ will need to qualify if they do not participate this year.

• Like 2

Wayne Bennet has his say and supports any Souths players who want to go. 

Calls out NRL on double standards.  

“Who is going to deprive them? It’s not the right of the club,” he said. 

“We don’t have an option when it comes to playing Origin or for Australia. If we refuse to play for Australia we get stood down. What’s going to happen for these players that want to play for their countries? 

“It’s a complete double standard. If a player wants to play and the club says he can’t but if a player doesn’t want to play and the game says you’ve got to play. There’s got to be a balance there.”

Bennett was not taking aim though at Australia or New Zealand for pulling out but insisted international rugby league does not revolve around those two nations.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/wayne-bennett-has-called-out-double-standards-in-a-passionate-fiveminute-defence-of-international-rugby-league/news-story/8ce5da4841f9ea2a971a2376ae497c37

• Like 3

James Graham.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-rugby-league-world-cup-cost-date-postponed-cancelled-australia-new-zealand-reaction-james-graham/news-story/a98132835f7ab78758f874791c4b48ec

“We’re here watching the Olympic Games go on, we all witness Wimbledon happen featuring athletes from all around the world, there’s a Golf Open happening, the Wallabies and All Blacks are about to tour to Europe. 

“What that tends to suggest is it is not a Covid issue. I know speaking to people back home, they are really angry that the commission are hiding behind Covid and perceived player welfare and using hypothetical situations. 

“What it tends to suggest is that it is not a Covid issue, it is a lack of prestige, a lack of respect, a lack of any potential financial gain for the NRL and clubs to get off this World Cup. 

“Peter V’landys spoke about when rugby league is in a time of crisis we come together. Maybe he should live by that and help get this World Cup on. I’m not saying he is hiding behind Covid but that is what he is being accused of back in England.”

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

In reality the Government of Queensland has told the NRL one more covid breach and they'll shut down the comp... I have a feeling australia and nz would then play.

I would love the Queensland government to do that

• Like 2

Just listening to the Triple M Saturday Scrum pod and Jammer was excellent.

He goes on to make the point that the ‘eight weeks off’ thing has always been an issue but it never stopped the likes of Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and Cameron Smith playing finals football for Melbourne, then touring/play in World Cups for the Kangaroos - noting that the last World Cup final was in December - then go round again the following year.

They just found a way to make it work, as indeed the ARLC has done with State of Origin and the NRL during Covid.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So how long before they announce the 2021 Pacific 6 nation's competition to take place in November in Australia and NZ ? 

You haven't read the past few pages then?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm afraid there's definitely more chance of the tournament being postponed than of it taking place. The NRL and its member clubs are just going to put so much pressure on the pacific nations that one of them will crack and pull out. At that point continuing becomes untenable. There is apparently a meeting of the Asia Pacific RL next week, to decide on a position to take, but I think it'll all be stitched up before then.

In the unlikely event that it goes ahead, I certainly see the appeal in having Indigenous and Maori teams taking part. They'd be very competitive teams, it would have a real 'f you' to the NRL feel to it and I think the optics would be quite good, it's certainly a story to sell to the media. That said, logistically I'm not sure how you'd do it - who would even pick the squads, coaches, etc? There's a Maori RL but they're affiliated to NZRL so would be pressured not to take part, but I don't think there's a comparable body for Indigenous RL. The safest bet would be to invite the USA and Serbia (as next best losers in qualifying) to take part. Like I say, in the unlikely event it takes place at all.

• Like 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

11 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

In reality the Government of Queensland has told the NRL one more covid breach and they'll shut down the comp... I have a feeling australia and nz would then play.

Oh how funny would that be. We can then offer them the chance to come over here and safely finish the comp - give them full and sole Covid-friendly access to Underbank Rangers to host all games, including global commentary by Mick Gledhill - provided of course that they compete in the World Cup. Sorted.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

In the unlikely event that it goes ahead, I certainly see the appeal in having Indigenous and Maori teams taking part. They'd be very competitive teams, it would have a real 'f you' to the NRL feel to it and I think the optics would be quite good, it's certainly a story to sell to the media. 

It would be a great story and the BBC in particular would lap it up, and the Indigenous war cry and Maori haka.

But there’s more to play out, I suspect.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

In the unlikely event that it goes ahead, I certainly see the appeal in having Indigenous and Maori teams taking part. They'd be very competitive teams, it would have a real 'f you' to the NRL feel to it and I think the optics would be quite good, it's certainly a story to sell to the media.

I would actually probably enjoy that more than a WC with Oz and NZ in it!

53 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I'm afraid there's definitely more chance of the tournament being postponed than of it taking place. The NRL and its member clubs are just going to put so much pressure on the pacific nations that one of them will crack and pull out. At that point continuing becomes untenable. There is apparently a meeting of the Asia Pacific RL next week, to decide on a position to take, but I think it'll all be stitched up before then.

I tend to agree. I simply don’t see how those Pacific nations will be able to compete; they are pretty much reliant on the NRL for everything. 

On a related note, really pleased with James Graham’s statement. The bit about financial reward the NRL specifically. That gets to the heart of this issue (with COVID as a smokescreen). Well done him. 

• Like 1

If it is postponed, Vlandis will have won, and the WC will be a damp squib, what with all  the competing sports events. Vlandis will then claim ownership. 

If it goes ahead, Vlandis will claim its a mickey mouse cup. 

Either way, he'll win and assume control of the game worldwide. 

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic