Jump to content

Recommended Posts


24 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Anyone do it? 

Any advice? 

Buy the best sleeping bag you can afford. Compare it to a night in an expensive hotel and remember you only have to pay for it once.

Think about what you are going to take and keep it light.

Remember any fool can be uncomfortable. 

I wish I could still do it.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Too dangerous with all the grizzly bears and moose? 

😂😂😂😂

Not only them, but I struggle to even get up from the ground these days.

Old age doesn't come on its own.

  • Haha 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Pitch up late, leave early. Leave zero trace you've been there

If only all campers followed this rule. ☹️

England RU Coach Eddie Jones : "I spent a bit of time up at Hull and I like the full back there Connor, he's a tough, skilful player"

Jake Connor : "I've never played Union, it doesn't look that hard, you never say never but it looks too boring for me"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Pitch up late, leave early. Leave zero trace you've been there

The golden rule (especially as in most places its technically illegal).

  • Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The golden rule (especially as in most places its technically illegal).

Its only legal in Scotland and then in places like Loch Lomond its a camping management zone (pre-booked only)

Some of the Scottish islands were actively discouraging tourists without pre-booked places - to keep infections down

It can be done with the permission of the landowner in the remainder of the UK and I'd say the arrive late, leave early leave no trace applies, as well as camping in a discrete place

There have been too many instances where a group has turned up this summer (to various places) and treated it like a festival site

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't wild camp (tent/bivvy/tarp)

But do use my T4 van for wild camp in a van nights away .

Robin Hoods Bay last Saturday night . Arrived 2pm ish 4 mile walk with dog and wife . Really nice pub grub in the Bay , few beers in The Laurel . Up early , away to Cayton Bay for the day .

£3 to park , great beach , great surf .£9 parking at RHB 

Like others have said leave nothing . Great cheap weekend away .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, henage said:

Don't wild camp (tent/bivvy/tarp)

But do use my T4 van for wild camp in a van nights away .

Robin Hoods Bay last Saturday night . Arrived 2pm ish 4 mile walk with dog and wife . Really nice pub grub in the Bay , few beers in The Laurel . Up early , away to Cayton Bay for the day .

£3 to park , great beach , great surf .£9 parking at RHB 

Like others have said leave nothing . Great cheap weekend away .

 

I like the T4...... and RHB

Peace and quiet, a bit of solitude ( other than the local pub ) perfect

  • Like 1

Wibble

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

Never pitch your tent under a tree. If it rains, after the rain has gone every drip onto the canvas is like thunder.

 

 

Use the tree's, poncho and para cord to make your basha, job done.

 

Edited by Marauder

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I spent one night in a tent after leaving the army, the rest of that week I was booked into a Travelodge.

Tenting, as a kid, was an adventure. Family holidays to Isle of Wight, Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, sleeping in a tent or awning as a 6,7,8 year old. Bacon and beans for breakfast. Stopping up late, pop and crisps,fish and chips for supper. Brilliant and character building.

Doing the same as a 40 year old ( the last time I endured it ) ain't the same. Putting up a 2 man tent that is only big enough for you and your kit bag. Waking up at 2AM freezing cold and trying to put on every bit of clothing you've brought with you just to keep warm. Trying to get dressed in the morning on your knees because the tent is only 3 foot high. Realising that the 4 days worth of beer/wine you brought with you only lasts 2 nights and the local town shop is a Co-Op, with prices to match. 

  • Like 2

Wibble

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/09/2021 at 13:28, shaun mc said:

Its only legal in Scotland and then in places like Loch Lomond its a camping management zone (pre-booked only)

And a fair bit of Dartmoor.

I've done it a fair bit elsewhere in the world, never quite feels right here in Britain, everywhere belongs to someone, always feel like you're going to get told to move on. I enjoy doing long multi-day point to point runs carrying all my gear in a backpack, but I tend to prebook somewhere to stay rather than wild camping. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, in Australia so my advice won’t be relevant. If you’re interested though it’s:

- be careful of nearby trees when pitching a tent. Branches may drop through the night and kill you.

- bring a snake bite kit and always wear long hiking trousers to reduce the likelihood of fangs breaking skin … and killing you.

- alway carry an emergency satellite beacon so the helicopter can rescue you if you require it … getting lost or injured in remote areas can kill you.

- keep your tent fully zipped up at all times to reduce the likelihood of snakes, spider or even huge goannas from entering the tent.

- tell people where you are going so they can call search and rescue if you don’t reappear when you said you would.

- carry enough food and drink. Dehydration can kill you.

- have decent clothing for all possible weather for that time of year.

- cotton kills… merino or other special synthetic materials are preferred.

- have the relevant topographic maps and know how to read them.

- have fun!

YouTube clip of a goanna in a tent

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/09/2021 at 17:58, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Anyone do it? 

Any advice? 

Don`t go camping with people who don`t like camping.

Went camping with a mate a long time ago, we camped on a wild and deserted beach which the only way to get to was down a steep, long and winding set of steps. It was a beautiful spot.

He wakes up in the middle of the night screaming " There`s someone outside the tent, there`s someone outside the tent !!!" and in his panic he knocked the centre tent pole out and the tent was down on top of us. Here we are thrashing around on the ground in the tent trying to find the zip and I`m thinking there`s someone outside.

Turns out he was having a nightmare. Dopey #####.

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/10/2021 at 03:00, The Rocket said:

Don`t go camping with people who don`t like camping.

Went camping with a mate a long time ago, we camped on a wild and deserted beach which the only way to get to was down a steep, long and winding set of steps. It was a beautiful spot.

He wakes up in the middle of the night screaming " There`s someone outside the tent, there`s someone outside the tent !!!" and in his panic he knocked the centre tent pole out and the tent was down on top of us. Here we are thrashing around on the ground in the tent trying to find the zip and I`m thinking there`s someone outside.

Turns out he was having a nightmare. Dopey #####.

Maybe there was someone outside the tent! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...