The Cornwall RLFC Thread

8 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Compare it to Newcastle and Barrow.

Are you actually doubling down on this? London and Cornwall are very far apart, and neither Newcastle nor Barrow are in League One.

Leicester Sq to Falmouth - 276 miles

Leicester Sq to Barrow - 288 miles

Leicester Sq to Newcastle - 282 miles

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

I notice some clubs who dont want franchising complaining about not being able to decide if a uk club enters the pyramid... 

This.

Rugby League has had franchising/licensing since day 1. Hence Glasgow being denied entry 60 years ago for example (and I'm sure there are many others).

People naturally want it when it protects them ("they can't be in our league" etc.) and dislike it when it threatens them. Very few are honest enough to accept that it has always existed though.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

spacer.png

I think in trying to squeeze in every symbol of Cornwall they’ve made the badge too busy. The St Piran cross with the ball in the middle or the Chough and ball on it’s own would have been better IMO. 

That said if they make a black jersey with white chevron I’ll probably buy it. Got a air bnb booked in St Ives next year, really hoping it coincides with a game and will make an even better holiday in a beautiful part of the world. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Looks like they need to get that stadium over the line so think another team can help them.  Plus as a tactic for Cornish RFU it also helps as clear signal to Union : Close the door to the Prem and Cornwall can just go over to league and have tv coverage and summer crowds instead. 

Yep, stadium plan is obvious.

What’s the hold-up on that…funding I assume?

Edited by Man of Kent

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes. It's been a long rocky and at times controversial road to get this far. Then Covid hit which didn't exactly help the fund raising climate.

A Tesco store proposed for the site of the current Truro City ground fell through, wiping several million off the revenues.

They remain optimistic but the simple truth is they got something like £10m less in public grants than they hoped for - post Tesco - leaving a substantial funding shortfall.

Edited by Ivarr the Boneless

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

There was a lot of hope put onto the Autumn Budget/Spending Review last week re. government funding to support the other pledged cash from the Council & LEP. Nothing came. Looks like momentum is wavering on the project.

https://www.stadium4cornwall.co.uk/

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I was making more of an age/politics point lol. Its a generalisation, but it does work roughly.

I know, I always associate Insta with pictures and I don’t take many hence not using it. I also don’t read many comments on news articles on Facebook as they depress me 

5 minutes ago, tiffers said:

There was a lot of hope put onto the Autumn Budget/Spending Review last week re. government funding to support the other pledged cash from the Council & LEP. Nothing came. Looks like momentum is wavering on the project.

https://www.stadium4cornwall.co.uk/

Because of the funding shortfall the  Cornish Pirates chairman has been talking about doing something similar to Edinburgh RU and putting in temp stands with tent roofs, portaloos etc (big but basic) with his own money. I guess more tenants is a good thing for them. 

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I know, I always associate Insta with pictures and I don’t take many hence not using it. I also don’t read many comments on news articles on Facebook as they depress me 

Yeah hence why I suppose insta is more youth focused. 

Facebook comments are a quagmire generally. Really pointless if you know this place exists!

• Like 1

Fantastic stuff, I've been following Devon Sharks on social media for a while and they are a great addition to the RL family so hopefully Cornwall will go the same way. Any new teams coming into RL should be given as much assistance, backing and goodwill as possible, yet as usual we see the same luddites pile in with the usual negativity all because of a fear this will have some tiny impact on their own club that has stagnated for decades.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pahars said:

Because of the funding shortfall the  Cornish Pirates chairman has been talking about doing something similar to Edinburgh RU and putting in temp stands with tent roofs, portaloos etc (big but basic) with his own money. I guess more tenants is a good thing for them. 

That would be helpful to say the least in terms of the local sporting offering.

It's clear that Truro FC can't continue the way they are, homeless. So there is definitely a real tangible need to get a solution in place. Likewise, the Pirates locating to mid-cornwall can only help their attendances.

I can certainly see how the numbers add up for the Pirates if they can get it in place. Would be such a shame not to have the small modern stadium that Cornwall would hugely benefit from. But something is better than nothing!

• Like 1

If Rugby League lacks credibility in the eyes of the wider sporting public, it's down to being so restricted geography wise for so long, not because someone might start a club in Cornwall. 

Some people reach for the 'northern comfort blanket' as soon as outsiders approach. 

52 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

it also helps as clear signal to Union : Close the door to the Prem and Cornwall can just go over to league and have tv coverage and summer crowds instead. 

It really doesn't.

That is complete fantasy. They will not "just go over to league and have TV coverage". Dream on.