Jump to content

Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League


Recommended Posts

Regarding presentation....

On BT sport's Union coverage they do the presenters on the pitch- usually in the corner 

It works really well and seeing supporters behind and their noise close to the presenters really ramps up the excitement...especially for Friday games

Why don't we do that rather than have Brian and Phil in a box ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They did an amazing job with union. A 'build up show' for 45mins at noon then the game later....

Going back a few decades they were the first channel to start showing NFL & look how that took off over here from a very low bar.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think most of us would have taken a reduction in Sky money to get this FTA coverage. That is what many have been saying on here over the years anyhow. Whether by design or through Sky's cooling of interest we now have this.

Yes the decline in the Sky TV deal has/is causing problems but it has also opened up many interesting and exciting possibilities through FTA coverage like this and through digital rights. It is up to the game to take advantage of this and the additional ways that it can generate revenue. Even at a club level clubs should be looking at how it can increase sponsorship revenue on the back of this increased coverage.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BRILLIANT NEWS heard about this from the wife last night (My instinct was to post but thought better to wait for the news to break LOL:)

According to sports rights on Wikipedia the BBC Super League Highlights deal expired at the end of 2021 so i would expect Channel 4 to hopefully take this up as well.

This leaves the BBC with CC and Internationals so no problem there, the Super League show was sadly a dogs dinner anyway we are better off without it now that Channel 4 have come on board.

What with Toulouse coming into the Super League Championship matches on TV and the World Cup 2022 its just going to be nothing short of FANTASTIC:))))))))))

WELL DONE TO EVERYONE:)

 

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Great shout 

I was thinking Adam hills (1) may have had something to do with this (“pushing” in the background) and (2) hopefully he can play some part in the presentation.  Absolute legend of a bloke, watch the last leg on channel 4 - he mentions rugby league (and especially the Wire 😇) pretty much every Friday night 👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

I was thinking Adam hills (1) may have had something to do with this (“pushing” in the background) and (2) hopefully he can play some part in the presentation.  Absolute legend of a bloke, watch the last leg on channel 4 - he mentions rugby league (and especially the Wire 😇) pretty much every Friday night 👍

Looks if he`s so popular it may also be a case of Channel 4 looking for something else they can use him for. Often the case with some one popular, they will take viewers with them to new shows.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

BRILLIANT NEWS heard about this from the wife last night (My instinct was to post but thought better to wait for the news to break LOL:)

According to sports rights on Wikipedia the BBC Super League Highlights deal expired at the end of 2021 so i would expect Channel 4 to hopefully take this up as well.

This leaves the BBC with CC and Internationals so no problem there, the Super League show was sadly a dogs dinner anyway we are better off without it now that Channel 4 have come on board.

What with Toulouse coming into the Super League Championship matches on TV and the World Cup 2022 is just going to be nothing short of FANTASTIC:))))))))))

WELL DONE TO EVERYONE:)

 

Paul

It will be great if they have a highlights show and do what they did with the NFL and really innovate with it.

I understand there are always limits on budgets, but you got the feeling the BBC never fully exploited what they had.

I’ll be ecstatic if they reach out to demographics that we would like to introduce or reintroduce to the game and I’ll be gutted if I hear the opening bars of the music for the Hovis advert and weird scheduling times.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sky will like that as it clashes with BT’s Premier League offering.

True, but if you're looking at it in that sense it also clashes with Sky's lunchtime Championship game. 

I don't think it will be regularly at 12:30 to be honest - I'm thinking/hoping they'll try a few different slots to find the 'prime' window. It may turn out to be that slot but I reckon they might get more by pushing it into that 2:30/3pm window where there will be no live football and limited other sports on. 

 

Edit: probs not 2:30/3pm slot in Feb/March as creates a needless clash with Six Nations hence why they've probably gone with 12:30 to begin with at least

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

True, but if you're looking at it in that sense it also clashes with Sky's lunchtime Championship game. 

I don't think it will be regularly at 12:30 to be honest - I'm thinking/hoping they'll try a few different slots to find the 'prime' window. It may turn out to be that slot but I reckon they might get more by pushing it into that 2:30/3pm window where there will be no live football and limited other sports on. 

Yes, I don’t mean it in a nasty way either just as reference to the Sky-BT rivalry over live sport.

I agree they’ll probably be looking for a sweet spot although having it at the same time every other week might help them build a new audience for it.

I’ll happily hunt around the TV schedule as a fan, but a newbie to Super League might not be as accommodating.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Main question in terms of overall commitment is are they going to be showing the highlights package as well. Ten isolated games without being supported by the highlights is going to be harder for them to both build momentum for and to get behind commercially.

There will be a highlights package, but as yet I understand that no final decision has been taken on which broadcaster will have the rights to it.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was mention earlier on this thread about the clubs really promoting the Channel 4 games to maximise their gate.  I think this is a great idea particularly if the broadcast time is family friendly.

I notice in baseball where there are definitely more games than appetite to sell out those games - they often rely on special one off promotions.  This is often as simple as the first xxxx arriving at the game get a free piece of merchandise or a special discount on food if your team scores in a certain way.  

You hear them being promoted in the broadcast and I often think it’s a clever way of boosting attendance at those baseball games as one off events beyond relying on more traditional things like season tickets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There was mention earlier on this thread about the clubs really promoting the Channel 4 games to maximise their gate.  I think this is a great idea particularly if the broadcast time is family friendly.

I notice in baseball where there are definitely more games than appetite to sell out those games - they often rely on special one off promotions.  This is often as simple as the first xxxx arriving at the game get a free piece of merchandise or a special discount on food if your team scores in a certain way.  

You hear them being promoted in the broadcast and I often think it’s a clever way of boosting attendance at those baseball games as one off events beyond relying on more traditional things like season tickets.

Why wouldn’t they do that every game though, rather than just when it’s on channel 4? If they wanted to make it oook good on tv they could try to get people to buy tickets / move to the stand opposite the cameras. 

Edited by Eddie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I don't know whether I can claim any credit for this, but in July I had a letter published by the Yorkshire Post criticising Channel 4 for not covering Rugby League, given that its HQ had moved to Leeds.

Did it have any effect? I certainly hoped it would do.

I'll be speaking to Pete Andrews, the Head of Sport at Channel 4, a little later.

oh I thought it was my letter...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think most of us would have taken a reduction in Sky money to get this FTA coverage. That is what many have been saying on here over the years anyhow. Whether by design or through Sky's cooling of interest we now have this.

I think there is an element of design in this. The Sky deal may be lower but we know it covered a) fewer matches, b) was non-exclusive and c) included them filming and producing every game.

There was a clear intent there for SL to go to market for a terrestrial partner. How much that cost us in ££ terms from Sky who knows but it looks to have been part of the strategy.

 

56 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

On BT sport's Union coverage they do the presenters on the pitch- usually in the corner 

It works really well and seeing supporters behind and their noise close to the presenters really ramps up the excitement...especially for Friday games

This is not particularly innovative and often reflects the broadcaster not wanting to spend money on a temporary studio.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why wouldn’t they do that every game though, rather than just when it’s on channel 4? If they wanted to make it oook good on tv they could try to get people to buy tickets / move to the stand opposite the cameras. 

If you do the same promotion for every game it loses any unique selling point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...