Jump to content

Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Can't have a Monday night show will clash with Championship nite, the idea is to spread the word not compete with each other.

I'm talking about at 10pm or 10.30pm, there's no way we're shifting Location Location Location or that Geordie fella who watches peoples' houses get done up.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

'm talking about at 10pm or 10.30pm, there's no way we're shifting Location Location Location or that Geordie fella who watches peoples' houses get done up.

Anything is better then Location Location but do like the prog about houses done up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To help with the attendance Leeds could do a early Valentines ticket for your Spouse/Girlfriends with a free Red Rose or a Champagne Bar to attract more female fans, not that Rugby League needs to attract them but something along that line could help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Anyone who suggests C4 uses anyone from Rugby AM shows they don't want the game to be taken seriously, and there's a few of them out there. Enthusiasm doesn't equal talent.

Came back on this thread to say the same! Way too many banging that drum on Twitter - terrifying!

If 'Wagga' or Alex Simmonds are anywhere near this it'll be a catastrophe in my eyes. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Came back on this thread to say the same! Way too many banging that drum on Twitter - terrifying!

If 'Wagga' or Alex Simmonds are anywhere near this it'll be a catastrophe in my eyes. 

If they were on, I'd turn straight off, and I can't imagine the impression that would give the public.

(Wagga in "blackface" is still on YouTube for our inclusivity.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Channel 4 has a proud history of challenging stereotypes. How will Channel 4 challenge some of the old 'Eddie Waring, up 'n' under, only a game for Northerners etc.' stereotypes?

Hang on, not long ago you were arguing that 'keeping it northern' was the future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Hang on, not long ago you were arguing that 'keeping it northern' was the future. 

Yes. It's possible for rugby league to embrace and project its Northern heritage (rather than be embarrassed by it and try to foist it on places anywhere other than the North that doesn't really want it...) in a modern way without being stereotypical while being accessible to a national audience.

That means projecting the game's inclusiveness and unpretentiousness - very Channel 4, in fact - rather than the old-fashioned coal, chips & gravy 'knockabout' image of yore. Channel 4 tends to attract a younger audience, after all. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is it too much to hope that now Channel 4 have taken the plunge with Rugby League that they might be interested in picking up domestic Wheelchair Rugby League too?

Its a great sport in its own right and I believe it would tie in with Channel 4’s long-standing commitment to this community.

There’s also a national footprint to aim at.  Maybe a Magic style tournament at a venue that best lends itself to broadcasting.

Don’t wish to take us on too much of a tangent but it seems a logical move for broadcaster and Wheelchair Rugby League.

Channel 4 has done a fine job with the Paralympics, so it's not much of a stretch to imagine them covering Wheelchair Rugby League.

But in the first instance let's concentrate on them doing a good job for Super League.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes. It's possible for rugby league to embrace and project its Northern heritage (rather than be embarrassed by it and try to foist it on places anywhere other than the North that doesn't really want it...) in a modern way without being stereotypical while being accessible to a national audience.

That means projecting the game's inclusiveness and unpretentiousness - very Channel 4, in fact - rather than the old-fashioned coal, chips & gravy 'knockabout' image of yore. Channel 4 tends to attract a younger audience, after all. 

Agree, the last thing I want to see is images of collieries and some dour Yorkie doing a voice over, banging on about how working class the game is, which is exactly what the BBC did for this year’s CC final. Something a bit more contemporary would be nice. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Channel 4 has done a fine job with the Paralympics, so it's not much of a stretch to imagine them covering Wheelchair Rugby League.

But in the first instance let's concentrate on them doing a good job for Super League.

Any further snippets you can share with us from your meeting/interview, Martyn? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'll be speaking to Channel 4's Head of Sport later today.

Any questions for him that haven't been answered already?

What I know already is that Channel 4 will screen live games from the first two rounds of the competition and then they will screen one game each month until the playoffs, when they will then show two more games, which could be simulcast with Sky Sports (although that is not yet certain).

On the weekends when they are showing games, Sky will get the first pick, but Channel 4 will get the second pick of matches.

And the deal has a commercial value to Super League, although I'm not sure yet what the amount payable will be.

Given the value of this deal to Super League, I would be surprised if it was a big deal, but you never know.

One more Martyn, Will RL content be available on 4OD?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Devon Ram said:

So where are all those Rugby League supporters who shot me down when i suggested talking to C4 because they had moved to Leeds, in your eyes Rugby League wasn't good enough for somebody like C4 Quest or ITV4.

 

I mean, it's still there in black and white, and that isn't what happened.

You actually suggested Championship goes to the likes of ITV4, Quest and Prime, before mentioning C4 in Leeds. And then kept asking about have the negotiators spoken to other providers on the back of the Sky reduced deal - most people suggested yes, they will have. They obviously were.

There wasn't anybody making the point that RL wasn't good enough for these channels, but there was some challenge around whether they would see value in SL. You appeared to take the mild disagreement in opinion very personally.

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agree, the last thing I want to see is images of collieries and some dour Yorkie doing a voice over, banging on about how working class the game is, which is exactly what the BBC did for this year’s CC final. Something a bit more contemporary would be nice. 

My view as a Southerner is people respect RL. People down here associate it with the North but also toughness/athleticism/physical effort and skill.

I find it hard to elaborate on how to project a modern public image for RL on a national stage but I know it isn't one of decayed pit villages and Grimethorpe Colliery Band. Hopefully the creative types at Channel 4 will crack it.    

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will also be interesting to see who they get for the broadcast team. Would be nice to see some new faces.

I follow a couple of young presenters on Instagram, so there is plenty of young talent out there. Would be great to see CH4 adopting such an approach, maybe alongside a couple of presentable ex-players.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get James Richardson off of Gazetta Football Italia (formerly of C4) to sit outside a cafe in Leeds or Manchester's hipster zones drinking a latte and pointing at articles in the latest Rugby League Express (other titles are allegedly available).

No, it'll be beer and whippets as usual...

  • Haha 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...