West Wales Raiders - laughing stock

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Thank god they don't often try Welsh when this is, apparently, a sentence that makes sense in English: "At our training ground in Bridgend, we have added a large size gym to make sure the boys have everything on site, our home ground of Stebonheath Park is one of the best in the league and we want to utilise this more for all the community and international sides in Wales by offering any event they wish to hold to be funded by the Raiders so they can make more money to support the development in Wales, we as a club want to see more internationals,grand finals & women’s super league fixtures in the West and Stebonheath Park is available at WRL’s peril."

That was my favourite. Poor old Tiffin needs someone to write his copy for him — he’s clueless. 

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

It’s been an interest few days since the hammering, thought I’d add my further thoughts on the matter…

Credit to Raiders for the statement, it was honest and transparent and it takes a lot to own up to their mistakes. Credit where it’s due.

However, words MUST lead into actions. What on earth were they doing just sat on a head coach decision? In semi-pro sport, a coach is the most integral part of any organisation… without one you really can’t do or achieve much.

Tiffin’s grammar and grasp of English is shockingly bad, great they’ve employed a full-time doctor* but go a bit further and employ somebody to do the media as it would go a VERY long way to rebuilding the club’s image.

*A full time doctor is interesting by the way, do they not mean permanent? Raiders are currently training once a week… what does the fella do for the other 6 days? 

They have to align and accept their future lies with the strategic plan of WRL. The Welsh conference has a lot of talent but 98% of that talent are with very decent RU clubs, maybe collecting a bit of cash and won’t be tempted for the ventures up north for a regular beating.

The best South Wales RL crop e.g the Davies twins, Kieran Lewis, Marcus Webb have all come through the WRL system I.e 16s, 19s, Students etc… Raiders need to be a key cog in this. What would I do? Raiders staff at junior internationals and East vs West and offer development contracts, dialled with a Salford reserves contract… open up a wider squad to keep players in the sport from age 17-19 with enough of a carrot with a potential Salford SL contract to convince them a year or two more in league could be worthwhile. 

Couldn’t agree more. WWR need to accept there place as a stepping stone within the WRL strat plan. 

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

we as a club want to see more internationals,grand finals & women’s super league fixtures in the West and Stebonheath Park is available at WRL’s peril."

What the hell is this last bit even supposed to mean - is one of the stands in imminent danger of collapse just waiting for a Welsh international to be staged before it finally gives way?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MidlandsJohn said:

What the hell is this last bit even supposed to mean - is one of the stands in imminent danger of collapse just waiting for a Welsh international to be staged before it finally gives way?

Get on the phone to Hollywood, we've got our plot, boys ... 

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

It’s been an interest few days since the hammering, thought I’d add my further thoughts on the matter…

Credit to Raiders for the statement, it was honest and transparent and it takes a lot to own up to their mistakes. Credit where it’s due.

However, words MUST lead into actions. What on earth were they doing just sat on a head coach decision? In semi-pro sport, a coach is the most integral part of any organisation… without one you really can’t do or achieve much.

Tiffin’s grammar and grasp of English is shockingly bad, great they’ve employed a full-time doctor* but go a bit further and employ somebody to do the media as it would go a VERY long way to rebuilding the club’s image.

*A full time doctor is interesting by the way, do they not mean permanent? Raiders are currently training once a week… what does the fella do for the other 6 days? 

They have to align and accept their future lies with the strategic plan of WRL. The Welsh conference has a lot of talent but 98% of that talent are with very decent RU clubs, maybe collecting a bit of cash and won’t be tempted for the ventures up north for a regular beating.

The best South Wales RL crop e.g the Davies twins, Kieran Lewis, Marcus Webb have all come through the WRL system I.e 16s, 19s, Students etc… Raiders need to be a key cog in this. What would I do? Raiders staff at junior internationals and East vs West and offer development contracts, dialled with a Salford reserves contract… open up a wider squad to keep players in the sport from age 17-19 with enough of a carrot with a potential Salford SL contract to convince them a year or two more in league could be worthwhile. 

Really sensible comments

But for me there is a strong appeal about north wales. 

Crusaders could easily attract some decent crowds as Conwy council actually want them to be there. 

There is also a strong possibility that very decent players like blackwood and briers will stay with the CRU to develop their game further. 

I doubt this will happen with west wales unless they were in suoer league. 

Regional rugby union in wales is failing badly, and so regional concepts for me are not ideal. 

Lets hope both welsh clubs can progress in 2022, 

1 hour ago, The storm said:

Regional rugby union in wales is failing badly, lets hope both welsh clubs can progress in 2022, 

Participation has been dropping badly in both codes, so I would not think that Union's troubles are an opportunity for league in Wales.  League one clubs were "progressing" only slowly, if that, before the pandemic. Now League one clubs have been faced with a 74% drop in the SKY money.

I'd guess the boss of West Wales is hesitating on second thoughts as to whether to continue which will cost him a packet, and as far as I know the boss of London Skolars Hector McNeil has now walked away after 25 years. People really have to take into account how little progress clubs like this made with the SKY money, and now they only have 26% of it and these two chairmen chairmen, as per their actions are not prepared to sink more money in themselves. 

Most commentators in the know warned that the cut in SKY money would mean big problems, and it appears in general the clubs are mostly giving this season a go despite this. That's credit to them, but who may be next to walk away, and who may not be there next year??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve oates said:

Participation has been dropping badly in both codes, so I would not think that Union's troubles are an opportunity for league in Wales.  League one clubs were "progressing" only slowly, if that, before the pandemic. Now League one clubs have been faced with a 74% drop in the SKY money.

I'd guess the boss of West Wales is hesitating on second thoughts as to whether to continue which will cost him a packet, and as far as I know the boss of London Skolars Hector McNeil has now walked away after 25 years. People really have to take into account how little progress clubs like this made with the SKY money, and now they only have 26% of it and these two chairmen chairmen, as per their actions are not prepared to sink more money in themselves. 

Most commentators in the know warned that the cut in SKY money would mean big problems, and it appears in general the clubs are mostly giving this season a go despite this. That's credit to them, but who may be next to walk away, and who may not be there next year??

And yet other clubs are making significant efforts to offer a varirty of revenue streams 

Let's hope that clubs in that boat complete the season. 

I'd guess the boss of West Wales is hesitating on second thoughts as to whether to continue which will cost him a packet, and as far as I know the boss of London Skolars Hector McNeil has now walked away after 25 years. 

Hector is still around the club as a fan (literally last Saturday) but yes he ended his role as owner. There was a managed handover. There’s no drama about it, although everyone is aware of the challenge of this season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Hector is still around the club as a fan (literally last Saturday) but yes he ended his role as owner. There was a managed handover. There’s no drama about it, although everyone is aware of the challenge of this season. 

Were the new owners involved previously in some capacity?

7 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Were the new owners involved previously in some capacity?

Yes that’s right. It’s been more a transition than revolution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

This is hardly news - happened two years ago and was covered in League Express

Indeed. I was just making the point that HM didn’t walk out. I think he’s always been realistic about the challenge of making RL work down here. Perhaps that’s something the WWR hasn’t been about making RL work there. 

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

They’re definitely going in the right direction. It’s only a couple of years ago they were conceding 100 pts plus regularly 

They were starting to go in the right direction, reducing the severity of their defeats. The lack of preparation so far for this season after the dismantling of last year's squad coupled with the recent result against Swinton suggests that they have gone backwards again and we may see more of those very heavy losses this season for WWR. I hope they can keep going and can help to establish the sport in Wales but it is likely to be a very long season for them.

To be fair, let's not pretend that Swinton aren't going to comfortably get promoted back up to the championship this year with a certain Rhodri Lloyd leading the charge. If West Wales are still struggling player wise and get thumped by Cornwall come April, then I think we have to call it a day. 

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

It seems a tad late,and slightly desperate, to do this,months after Cornwall held a trial;as Cornwall were late to the League 1 party,not 4 years or so as a semi- professional club.

https://mobile.twitter.com/The_SportsScout/status/1489380284500176901?cxt=HHwWisDTkcneq6spAAAA

• Sad 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

They remain completely naive to the fact that League 1 is a very tough division and dragging players from the amateur game will not help them one bit. Yes it’ll mean they will be able to fulfill their fixtures potentially, but the 70 and 80 point defeats will still happen. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It seems a tad late,and slightly desperate, to do this,months after Cornwall held a trial;as Cornwall were late to the League 1 party,not 4 years or so as a semi- professional club.

https://mobile.twitter.com/The_SportsScout/status/1489380284500176901?cxt=HHwWisDTkcneq6spAAAA

What they'll end up with is a load of keen players who don't have the talent to play on league 1. Surely having random people turning up for training is not the best way to prepare the squad. Their new head coach is going to love it 😂

And how do the community clubs feel about their players being invited to do this? Surely the best option is to work closely with community clubs and let them put forward players they think are ready for the step up. 

• Like 5

They were getting 50 + pt drubbing through the middle of last season to the likes of Coventry (the only side in their league history they have currently managed to beat), not to mention a 72-4 record Welsh Derby defeat, so it's nothing to do with the current lack of training, coaching staff or players available v last year's side.

The unfortunate reality is the local Welsh players that could compete at this level are playing elsewhere. 

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

On 02/02/2022 at 22:01, dead man inc said:

👏👏👏Very fair point, i think about 7 of Skolars starting line up from Saturdays challenge cup game have come up from Skolars junior teams & there are more Skolars junior graduates in the squad. 

not to mention those in broncos first team at the moment

2 hours ago, sgorpioncaerdyddrob said:

They were getting 50 + pt drubbing through the middle of last season to the likes of Coventry (the only side in their league history they have currently managed to beat), not to mention a 72-4 record Welsh Derby defeat, so it's nothing to do with the current lack of training, coaching staff or players available v last year's side.

The unfortunate reality is the local Welsh players that could compete at this level are playing elsewhere. 

Was having a think about this earlier…

A well-run and ambitious West (ideally South) Wales team had the perfect opportunity to lure back the following this season:

- Ben Flower (player-coach role)

- Curtis Davies (ended up in France)

- Connor Davies (see above)

- Sion Jones (released by Halifax, back in RU)

- Kieran Lewis (still in France)

- Will Evans (maybe ambitious but is Welsh and has signed for Whitehaven)

• Like 2