Jump to content

Fielden Vs McDermott


Recommended Posts


5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Am I right in thinking that Fielden lost a family member around that period of Mason hitting him and the Wigan move? The three combined were massive moments in Fielden’s career. 

Didn’t he lose his mother ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So basically if you wanted a great hard running prop who made huge metre’s & played big minutes,you pick Fielden,if you wanted a prop who thumped people you pick McDermott.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Didn’t he lose his mother ?

I can’t remember but something sticks in my mind that he travelled and played so soon after a death of a family member and Noble then come out and had to defend his decision to select Fielden. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chris22 said:

McDermott was good when he stuck to his game but cost his side too much with red cards and suspensions

Yeah, but wasn't that expectation of what is he going to do next really entertaining, there are guys who are infamous for the way they went about the way they played the game, love them or loathe them they were a big part of the game, and yes I miss their like in today's game, the McDermotts, Tamati's, Boyd's, Hogan's, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

So basically if you wanted a great hard running prop who made huge metre’s & played big minutes,you pick Fielden,if you wanted a prop who thumped people you pick McDermott.

Hmmmm....how about If you want both when your playing against your local rivals...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dkw said:

Play alongside - Fielden. Better player at his peak.

Fight alongside - Barrie Mac. Mentalist.

Play against - Fielden. No chance I would want to play against Barrie Mac, having that one good eye staring you down knowing he wanted to kill you.

 

Its the one eye that doesnt move and is just cold and uncaring with very little emotion behind it i'd be worried about.... although thinking about it  we may be talking about the same eye :kolobok_ph34r: (dont tell him i said that)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

The thread's defo about Barrie.  Although not impossible, I doubt Brian (Fielden's team mate) had a vendetta against him 😆

I think Brian can hold a vendetta against most people to be fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fielden was the better player at his career peak.

But Barrie spent a longer time at or very near his considerable best.

KO with Fielden at prop, then bring McDermott on after 20-25 minutes to serve up some mayhem, I say.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Fielden was the better player at his career peak.

But Barrie spent a longer time at or very near his considerable best.

KO with Fielden at prop, then bring McDermott on after 20-25 minutes to serve up some mayhem, I say.

Or start with Barry to soften them up, then bring on Fielden to run over their broken bodies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After watching him (Fielden) in the Rob Burrow game were him and Leuluai were the best forwards on the pitch I’d bet him could still do a job for someone now. Although the recovery might take a few weeks after each game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I always remember this claim to fame for McDermott too:

Barrie McDermott, the Leeds and former Great Britain prop, will deny any charges that arise from his becoming the first person in the country to be subdued using a CS gas spray.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-league-cs-gas-player-will-deny-any-charges-1340468.html

Actually upon reading that article again I find this the bigger surprise:

Hull have transfer-listed their Great Britain forward, Steve McNamara, for a massive pounds 350,000 after his third request for a move. The 24-year- old McNamara has appeared as a substitute forward in Test matches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Barrie wasn't even the best prop called B McDermott of that time and he wouldn't get in ahead of any of Bradford's four props of that era.

Fielden was two or three levels above.

As for Burgess v Graham, that's too close to call. I would say the stronger the players around them, the more I would lean towards Burgess.

Graham could drag any team along with him, but Burgess always had a moment of magic - attack or defence - in his locker.

Edited by MrPosh

People called Romans they go the house

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

Barrie wasn't even the best prop called B McDermott of that time and he wouldn't get in ahead of any of Bradford's four props of that era.

Fielden was two or three levels above.

As for Burgess v Graham, that's too close to call. I would say the stronger the players around them, the more I would lean towards Burgess.

Graham could drag any team along with him, but Burgess always had a moment of magic - attack or defence - in his locker.

Burgess all day long in that comparison

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Didn’t he lose his mother ?

 

9 hours ago, Jughead said:

Am I right in thinking that Fielden lost a family member around that period of Mason hitting him and the Wigan move? The three combined were massive moments in Fielden’s career. 


It was his mother IIIRC. I seem to recall the story being that after that Mason punch, he was away with the fairies in the dressing room and seemed to be under the impression his mum was still alive. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

Barrie wasn't even the best prop called B McDermott of that time and he wouldn't get in ahead of any of Bradford's four props of that era.

Fielden was two or three levels above.

As for Burgess v Graham, that's too close to call. I would say the stronger the players around them, the more I would lean towards Burgess.

Graham could drag any team along with him, but Burgess always had a moment of magic - attack or defence - in his locker.

Burgess was much better than Graham. Which is not to suggest he’s not a great player too but Sam Burgess was always a special talent. It was obvious from his early days at Bradford. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...