Endemic drug use in rugby league?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's a certain amount of this which is related to the culture around the towns/cities of many RL clubs. Young men in Gyms etc. I feel like that topic has been done before.

It may have been and I should say that I don't think RL is in any way different to any other sport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It's just endemic in western societies now. Whether you find yourself in England, Australia, Canada or the US, young people take drugs, both recreational and performance-enhancing, as part of daily life. I'm not sure what we do about it at this point.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's a certain amount of this which is related to the culture around the towns/cities of many RL clubs. Young men in Gyms etc. I feel like that topic has been done before.

Its one of these topics that is very interesting but you know you can't really discuss it or say what you want to say because the thread will get locked and will end up on some very dodgy ground.

1 minute ago, nadera78 said:

It's just endemic in western societies now. Whether you find yourself in England, Australia, Canada or the US, young people take drugs, both recreational and performance-enhancing, as part of daily life. I'm not sure what we do about it at this point.

Not all young people though.

I think culture is highly influential. If everyone in your social group, club, etc does something, then you are more likely to. You can quite quickly convince yourself that it is "everyone".

It only takes walking into a new environment where nobody is like that to see the massive contrast.

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

God all we used to do was sit around the 6th form common room burning a joss stick listening to Jimi Hendrix and pirate radio.

Paul

Its not really the same as a sportsperson taking performance enhancing drugs.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Change the title from "Rugby League" to "Sport".

You mean it's not just nutrition and marginal gains?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not all young people though.

I think culture is highly influential. If everyone in your social group, club, etc does something, then you are more likely to. You can quite quickly convince yourself that it is "everyone".

It only takes walking into a new environment where nobody is like that to see the massive contrast.

Yep, this is spot on. 

I've been around drug use at stages of my life, and I've been around lots of people who steer 100% clear. 

Your judgement can absolutely be clouded by small samples. 

We've had two years of a pandemic and now things are endemic.

God, I miss the days when the most technical term used in Rugby League was knockonathon!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just looking at the people playing both codes at the top levels I would not be at all shocked if PEDs were found to be endemic. 

Cut them out, drop people back to a normal size and perhaps some of these issues around continual head knocks and mental illness become lessened (of course not wiped out but lessened)

He’s spent most of his career at Leigh, a season at Workington and only played a handful of games for a few other clubs. I don’t see how he can speak for the whole game, he can only speak for the clubs he’s played at.

I’m not saying he’s telling lies, I’m sure say in the 5 years he spent at Leigh he’s seen and experienced a lot of drug use, he just has no experience at any top Super League clubs, he’s not in a position to comment on drug use at Super League or other clubs, which I believe does happen but is rare rather than the norm.

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep, this is spot on. 

I've been around drug use at stages of my life, and I've been around lots of people who steer 100% clear. 

Your judgement can absolutely be clouded by small samples. 

Totally agree.

Fwiw it appears he has had a small sample of mostly second tier RL dressing rooms too.

How much professionalism, or lack of it, affects these things who knows.

49 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He’s spent most of his career at Leigh, a season at Workington and only played a handful of games for a few other clubs. I don’t see how he can speak for the whole game, he can only speak for the clubs he’s played at.

I’m not saying he’s telling lies, I’m sure say in the 5 years he spent at Leigh he’s seen and experienced a lot of drug use, he just has no experience at any top Super League clubs, he’s not in a position to comment on drug use at Super League or other clubs, which I believe does happen but is rare rather than the norm.

The funny thing were the drug testers had suspicions about Leigh for a long time and went to great efforts to try and catch them out. It did quieten down after one of their players assaulted a drug tester though.

I doubt they were the only team that saw things like that happen though, I remember an overseas player leaving Fax in the mid 2000's and when the house that the club paid for which was occupied by another couple of players as well were emptied there were quite a number of jars of urine found. Who knows maybe one of them had a fetish or something. 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Yep I've certainly commented on this before and it's more widespread, dare I say the norm, than many are comfortable to admit. 

14 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

if anything talking about long term impacts that he´s suffered may force us to look at this as the player welfare issue it should be.  

That's a really good point.

On the player welfare side to this, I'm naive to what help is available to players as I'm new to the sport.

In Union there's the RPA (Rugby Players Association) they help players with all sorts of things from car insurance, counselling to transitioning out of the game with personal development. Is there such a thing for League?

If there is such a big problem then player welfare is really important.

12 minutes ago, Phil W said:

On the player welfare side to this, I'm naive to what help is available to players as I'm new to the sport.

In Union there's the RPA (Rugby Players Association) they help players with all sorts of things from car insurance, counselling to transitioning out of the game with personal development. Is there such a thing for League?

If there is such a big problem then player welfare is really important.

RLCares does a lot of good work in these areas:

Player Welfare Programme - Rugby League Cares

Archived