Jump to content

Techno music on Sky's coverage - a campaign


Recommended Posts


41 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The use of the same tune since the 1990s says it all about Sky Sport's diminished coverage of a sport that it now seems vaguely embarrassed about. 

I disagree. Nobody complains about MotD or the Champions League.

  • Like 3
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The use of the same tune since the 1990s says it all about Sky Sport's diminished coverage of a sport that it now seems vaguely embarrassed about. 

Aye. Whilst were at it can we get rid of the rules of the game that we've used since the 1990s?  Oh, and any spectators born before the 1990s?  Oh and any stadiums built before the 1990s must go.

The musical tastes of one or two fans on a forum is hardly going to influence the BBC, Sky or the new darling of the forum Channel Four, nor is it likely to attract new spectators.  I'll give it a season before those same forumistas fall out of love  with Channel Four, whatever they do.

Edited by JohnM
  • Confused 1

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Are we talking about a theme tune or goal music...? Different things, although even theme tunes get updated. 

Then I go back to my point about Chase the Sun in darts. It's not the intro music.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Then I go back to my point about Chase the Sun in darts. It's not the intro music.

That’s not involved with Sky’s television production of Darts though. It’s played at the arena rather than through the TV, unlike the try and replay music is in Rugby League.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe techno is seen as quite cool again with the hipsters.

So on the back of that, perhaps, instead Sky could commission some  challenging, new, industral work by, say, Surgeon or maybe Sandwell District. I think seeing Barrie and Terry raving at half time to some really hard 4 to the floor would work. It would also help any expansion effort for a Berlin team.

Edited by thebrewxi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The music for a sport should match what you see on the pitch. So RL needs some heavy metal, fast paced, intermixed with some skillfully hip hop, with a touch of chopin to highlight the class on show.

Union should have radiohead.

Edited by dkw
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m a hard-jackin’ sound-scapin’ jump-uppin’   Left of centre 

freakbeat affair who refuses to worship at the alter of Detroit

im a funked up holy roller 

I’ve got a new house were the old school used to be

eggs bread cigs milk 

eggs bread cigs milk. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jughead said:

That’s not involved with Sky’s television production of Darts though. It’s played at the arena rather than through the TV, unlike the try and replay music is in Rugby League.

You don't think it's part of the TV production to play it at those times in the arena leading up to each break? It goes hand in hand.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with techno, not that the try music is techno, it’s also reasonably iconic within the game.

Maybe a halfway house would be an updated Bosnian minimal tech version could be created 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Josef K said:

I’m a hard-jackin’ sound-scapin’ jump-uppin’   Left of centre 

freakbeat affair who refuses to worship at the alter of Detroit

im a funked up holy roller 

I’ve got a new house were the old school used to be

eggs bread cigs milk 

eggs bread cigs milk. 

We all know you've been listening to Charlie on the sly.

  • Like 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You don't think it's part of the TV production to play it at those times in the arena leading up to each break? It goes hand in hand.

It may well “go hand in hand” but you’re describing two very different pieces of music for two very different purposes and audiences. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It may well “go hand in hand” but you’re describing two very different pieces of music for two very different purposes and audiences. 

Absolutely.

‘Chase the Sun’ is for the crowd in the arena to chant ‘Oi! Oi! Oi!’ whereas ‘Carpe Diem’ is for the TV audience.

Maybe Sky thinks ‘Carpe Diem’ is an untouchable, iconic piece of music and that try music is de rigueur because the Aussies did it in the 80s?

I just see it as a bit naff, and a symbol of Sky’s once innovative coverage becoming tired and perfunctory. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's wrong with techno and its many associated derivatives such as 90s eurodance? Great music! If we're changing the music let's make it 'Rhythm of the Night', one of the all time great eurodance tracks and it's appropriate given the games are at night usually and even more appropriate if you know who the artist was that did it. We'll have that as the teams come out then the try music can be 'Superheroes' by Daft Punk, one of my all time favourites, title explains it all, and the programme can start with a bit more of a retro tune in 'Trans Europe Express' by Kraftwerk given the expansion of the league into France and the inclusion of countries such as Greece in the World Cup. Sorted. Now let's all get on with not moaning about tiny things no one else has even contemplated and watch some chuffing rugby league! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they changed the music, there would be a five page thread on here within 24 hours moaning they had made the wrong choice.

If they rotated the music, there would be a three page thread on here that weekend moaning the music was poor.

One thread a year is probably a good outcome for Sky.

  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Absolutely.

‘Chase the Sun’ is for the crowd in the arena to chant ‘Oi! Oi! Oi!’ whereas ‘Carpe Diem’ is for the TV audience.

Maybe Sky thinks ‘Carpe Diem’ is an untouchable, iconic piece of music and that try music is de rigueur because the Aussies did it in the 80s?

I just see it as a bit naff, and a symbol of Sky’s once innovative coverage becoming tired and perfunctory. 

It is utterly naff

I am genuinely astounded some people on here are seeing it as something that is quintessentially rugby league or iconic for us

It sounds like something knocked up on a Spectrum 48k in 1990

For God's sake let's ditch it for a better/ classier try celebration music.... again something like Fox League uses  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What's wrong with techno and its many associated derivatives such as 90s eurodance? Great music! If we're changing the music let's make it 'Rhythm of the Night', one of the all time great eurodance tracks and it's appropriate given the games are at night usually and even more appropriate if you know who the artist was that did it. We'll have that as the teams come out then the try music can be 'Superheroes' by Daft Punk, one of my all time favourites, title explains it all, and the programme can start with a bit more of a retro tune in 'Trans Europe Express' by Kraftwerk given the expansion of the league into France and the inclusion of countries such as Greece in the World Cup. Sorted. Now let's all get on with not moaning about tiny things no one else has even contemplated and watch some chuffing rugby league! 

Impressions count whether you like it or not

If a casual Sky Sports viewer hears the Fox league tune to a try on a Satursay morning it sounds classy.....our sounds like what it is....30 years out of date 

The music might only count a percentage of their total perception but we should fight for every bit. As Shaun Wane always says.....make sure you have every "deeeeetaaaail" correct 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Just Browny said:

It's a good tune and many people who aren't hardcore RL fans associate it with the Super League coverage (I've heard it played played and identified as the Super League music on Radio 5 shows like Fighting Talk).

Change it if there is something better, but dont change it if there's no need. I'm not aware of any campaign to change the music for Wimbledon, Match of the Day or Ski Sunday - at some point they become iconic and if you change it you lose that.

Me and my son (13) were watching something the other day, cannot remember what it was, and the song came on and he instantly said "isnt that the super league music?".. change for changes sake can be quite dangerous.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...