• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Skill or haplessly chucking the ball away as he was going into touch and got lucky that a team mate picked it up?

He has a showreel of pretty outstanding stuff to be fair to him. He would make any SL starting side and would be a stand out.

6 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Skill

Fair enough, personally i think he just got lucky that it bounced the right way for his team mate, i doubt he intended to throw it at that exact spot on the ground to get the bounce right, fair play to him for getting the ball away at all though in that situation but i don't think his intention was to get it to bounce into his mates arms.

I understand Sean Wane leaving him out after his long battle against the effects of concussion but on the other hand I don’t get it as Wane picked Manfredi after he’d been out for almost 2 years.

Without a shadow of doubt if TJ stays fit he should be in the England run on team, he offers so much to a team in any given situation or area of the pitch. His carries out of his own 20, his amazing acrobatic finishes and his scintillating speed make him a threat to any defence.

On a wider subject of flair, skill and the inclusion of especially talented players, we simply have to start playing to our strengths and stop picking teams to counter the opposition or mimic their stratagems.

Tomkins is still doing it but Welsby is also someone who could upset the Aussies and NZrs. Dom Young, Herbie Farnworth have the size, skills, athleticism and speed to trouble anyone. Mikey Lewis is the sort of half we’ve been crying out for since Andy Gregory. He controls the game well but takes on the line and has the footwork and speed to punish teams when he makes a bust. Lewis Dodd is showing himself to be a vital part of the best team in the country and is another half with speed and a willingness to take on the defence. Will Price is outstanding, his footwork, speed, eye for an opening and ability to create something from nothing is special. Jake Connor, if he can curb his Grub like proclivities and control his temperament, is an amazingly creative player. Jake Wardle is another who has size, speed and athleticism but he also has all the subtle skills of a classic Centre who knows how to skin his opposite or put his wing man away. Harry Newman challenges the opposition every time he carries the ball and asks his opposite number all sorts of questions, forcing them to deal with him rather than worrying about what they might do.

W’eve got some great forwards like Walmsley, T Burgess, Thompson, Whitehead, Sutton and Bateman but also have some brilliant young forwards who've come through like Gannon, Pearce-Paul, Knowles, Lees, Oledski and Harvard.

We need to be brave enough to pick these players but we also need to be savvy enough to prepare them well so that we don’t waste their potential but rather we unleash them on an unsuspecting opposition in a similar fashion to how the Invincible's of ‘82’ shook Great Britain with their revolutionary style of Rugby League.

Positive enough for you?

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Fair enough, personally i think he just got lucky that it bounced the right way for his team mate, i doubt he intended to throw it at that exact spot on the ground to get the bounce right, fair play to him for getting the ball away at all though in that situation but i don't think his intention was to get it to bounce into his mates arms.

Oh I agree, but the skill was in putting the ball in a playable position. Nine times out of ten, it’s in touch, the stand, bounces off your own feet. For me, the skill was in pulling off keeping the ball alive from a seemingly impossible position, most would have died with the ball.  

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Tommy Makinson has an excellent injury record, why are you talking about him on a thread about Tom Johnstone?

If we were talking about Makinson's availability we'd be referring to grabbing peoples balls.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

There’s some real touchy individuals about. I was simply enquiring about Wakefield having floodlights as the lighting for that Johnstone moment is frankly abysmal for any elite sports club. I’ve not been to Wakefield for an evening game for a few years now, so it was a genuine question about why it’s so dark in the corners of that stadium. 

The floodlights have just been replaced with state of the art lights at a cost of around £400,000 its one of the first stages to ground improvement the East stand is due to be demolished after the Cas game. I do think the light sin that corner need some adjustment as they are very bright but the angle is probably slightly wrong easy to fix.

1 minute ago, Forever Trinity said:

The floodlights have just been replaced with state of the art lights at a cost of around £400,000 its one of the first stages to ground improvement the East stand is due to be demolished after the Cas game. I do think the light sin that corner need some adjustment as they are very bright but the angle is probably slightly wrong easy to fix.

Fair enough, I wasn’t aware of the new floodlights. It didn’t look good on TV, others have said it was fine at the ground, which I’m sure it was, so maybe the camera quality wasn’t the best. 

26 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think they are getting new ones with the ground improvements... much needed

They are new floodlights, whether it’s the camera struggling to focus or the individual lights need adjusting I don’t know but I was in the north stand and it looked ok from there but the video looks very dark!

f3gms4.jpg

27 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think they are getting new ones with the ground improvements... much needed

They're complete.  Last one erected during the close season.  Someone earlier quoted £400k but I had heard nearer £700k.  Don't recall any comments during the televised game v Leeds from viewers or the Sky crew.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

21 hours ago, daz39 said:

Skill or haplessly chucking the ball away as he was going into touch and got lucky that a team mate picked it up?

If you have seen Tom Johnstone finishes before you know his quickness of thought to leap at the right point and get the ball down is incredible so you would have to say he totally knew what he was doing, he was lucky Corey hall was right there but he knew what he was doing.

f3gms4.jpg

22 hours ago, daz39 said:

Fair enough, personally i think he just got lucky 

I believe that the saying is: The harder you train the luckier you get

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

6 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

They're complete.  Last one erected during the close season.  Someone earlier quoted £400k but I had heard nearer £700k.  Don't recall any comments during the televised game v Leeds from viewers or the Sky crew.

Maybe they've turned them down.... what with the fuel bills going up and that

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Maybe they've turned them down.... what with the fuel bills going up and that

FFS!  I give in. 

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

Archived