NRL a league of its own

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I thought you might say that but I don't think the thread interminable comparing just saying how good the NRL can be.

Did anyone pick up on the match that was nothing but mistakes and say SL's better?

SL is never better than NRL.  Facts.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

SL is never better than NRL.  Facts.

Well I like it more, for reasons  pointless in discussion.

But the point was it would be silly to suggest it.

Comparisons are for losers.

And the more I think about it the more I'm sure we'd be better off if the NRL became the NRU

Edited by Oxford
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, Oxford said:

And the more I think about it the more I'm sure we'd be better off if the NRL became the NRU

Out of interest, who is the 'we' in this sentence?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

The we was everyone else

While I appreciate your Borg like approach to thinking and speaking on behalf of the collective, I'm afraid I am going to have to opt out of this one so it is 'everyone' minus one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While I appreciate your Borg like approach to thinking and speaking on behalf of the collective, I'm afraid I am going to have to opt out of this one so it is 'everyone' minus one.

I was not speaking for everyone as the I in the original post would indicate.

8.25 seconds

• 2 weeks later...

ARL Commission purchases Gambaro Hotel on Caxton street Brisbane overlooking Suncorp Stadium.

Described as a near new 68 room 5 Star boutique Hotel, the Gambaro was expected to sell for approximately $30m.

Gambaro Hotel sold to Australian Rugby League Commission - HTL Property | The Hotel Conversation

"The transaction represents the Commission's first investment to strengthen the game's financial position and acquire assets that protect the game and provide new revenues for reinvestment in the game," a statement on Monday read.

"The ARLC has a focus on strengthening its balance sheet with stable, secure investments that provide steady income, long-term capital growth and to protect the game against major interruptions."

Interesting to see where they go from here on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

ARL Commission purchases Gambaro Hotel on Caxton street Brisbane overlooking Suncorp Stadium.

Described as a near new 68 room 5 Star boutique Hotel, the Gambaro was expected to sell for approximately $30m.

Gambaro Hotel sold to Australian Rugby League Commission - HTL Property | The Hotel Conversation

"The transaction represents the Commission's first investment to strengthen the game's financial position and acquire assets that protect the game and provide new revenues for reinvestment in the game," a statement on Monday read.

"The ARLC has a focus on strengthening its balance sheet with stable, secure investments that provide steady income, long-term capital growth and to protect the game against major interruptions."

Nice, its good to see the game in Australia investing in revenue generating assets like this.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Quite incredible and great to have clubs in such a strong financial position:

CHOOK’S NEW COOP IS A DIFFERENT CLASS

The Roosters unveiled their $10 million Centre of Excellence on Tuesday night, rightfully naming it after long-standing chairman Nick Politis. He had some zingers in his speech, too.

First, Politis mentioned how James Packer was on the board when he joined in 1993 but “we won’t talk about him too much because he crossed the line”. Packer is now part-owner of South Sydney.

He also pointed out how the club has a whopping $150 million of assets on its books, which is far more than the NRL. After sending his apologies for not attending, Andrew Abdo mysteriously arrived an hour late for the function.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2022 at 09:58, The Rocket said:

Hope the Hotel has a Spa Area and $3 drinks Happy Hour from 4-7 and has lovely views.

2 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Personally I don't give a xxxxx about the NRL, irrelevant no matter what the draggers think, and the homegrown apologists. 

Thanks for taking the time to tell everyone on a thread discussing the NRL what your opinion is. Many will sleep better for it, I’m sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Thanks for taking the time to tell everyone on a thread discussing the NRL what your opinion is. Many will sleep better for it, I’m sure.

My opinion, I don't care what you think about it, it's a  forum not a clap fest mutual x society. 

11 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

My opinion, I don't care what you think about it, it's a  forum not a clap fest mutual x society. 

There’s plenty on here I don’t particularly like or care about. Oddly, I choose not to post that I don’t like or care about those subjects and I just let people who do carry on posting about it. It’s weird, I know. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

There’s plenty on here I don’t particularly like or care about. Oddly, I choose not to post that I don’t like or care about those subjects and I just let people who do carry on posting about it. It’s weird, I know. 

Not weird it's how you see things, I feel that most of the threads here do not in general brook much dissent, I am fully aware that my views do not coincide with 95% of the posters on here, but that doesn't mean that I do not have the right to them, nor that they are inherently wrong. Most people the 1300's knew that the earth was flat and was the centre of the universe. Most of the time I don't post, I read and leave it at that. 

3 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Indeed it is your opinion, which you are entitled to.

Perhaps you could actually respect some other people's right to an opinion too in that case. 

Edited by Madrileño

On 19/06/2022 at 10:51, Dunbar said:

I'm sure you know this already but you opting out of agreement with it, if that was the case, bears no relevance to you or everyone being better off nor does it make the argument invalid.

You may feel RL is all the better for having the NRL but simply being the strongest league serves no purpose if it only serves the NRL.

I also didn't speak for everyone else and your suggestion that I did is not backed up by the evidence.

12 hours ago, Oxford said:

I'm sure you know this already but you opting out of agreement with it, if that was the case, bears no relevance to you or everyone being better off nor does it make the argument invalid.

You may feel RL is all the better for having the NRL but simply being the strongest league serves no purpose if it only serves the NRL.

I also didn't speak for everyone else and your suggestion that I did is not backed up by the evidence.

OK, I will play.

Explain to me why I would be better off if the NRL was a Rugby Union competition.

16 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Personally I don't give a xxxxx about the NRL, irrelevant no matter what the draggers think, and the homegrown apologists. 

Thanks for letting me know.

• Haha 1

The NRL could and should be a force for good for the game worldwide. And, as an NH fan, I look at this and think 1) it’s good to see how big our game can get, 2) what does this mean for my team, and the competitions I follow: SL and the international game? And there is plenty of evidence that the NRL is good for the NRL, but arguably, and I would argue, SL and the international game are not benefiting. Which is not to blame the NRL, and their 2 dozen UK based enthusiasts.

But, after a World Cup which saw huge crowds and viewing figures, we face an SL which with every year looks like a third class competition, and an international game whose bigger fixtures will remain a distant third behind the NRL and SoO. Such is life and their tiny band of UK fans are entitled not to care, but I think the most pressing question that flows from the Roosters being richer than Croesus is how can that benefit the whole game? 

• Confused 1