Fri 29th Apr : SL Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors KO 20:00 SKY

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Wigan Warriors

Warrington were doing ok until the half-time talk from Powell sent them to sleep.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

There is a team there that is really unbalanced, has a real lack of dynamism, but can play a bit of Rugby. But that is no good if your basic defensive structures and backbone is non-existent

Defence as we all know is a system based process but ultimately a personal one. This team is littered with players who fail on the 2nd point. Too many tries last night were too easy as per other comments it looked like an opposed training session for Wigan. 

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's certainly true that we aren't playing with quality. I haven't followed the thread as I was at the match, and haven't bothered watching any back ( I doubt I will either!), but my view is that we are just so soft down the middle. On too many occasions we were finishing our sets in exactly the right positions, but Wigan were able to match 80m upfield and put a slick move on out wide to score. 

There is a team there that is really unbalanced, has a real lack of dynamism, but can play a bit of Rugby. But that is no good if your basic defensive structures and backbone is non-existent. 

I thought Wigan played a very good game tonight, tactically excellent. Early on I thought we may be in for a 36v30 kind of game, but ultimately Wigan have that bit of backbone which meant that Wire couldn't just score every time they got the ball unlike how it seemed to be for Wigan. 

I don't think we are a disaster, but something needs to change in the pack, and I'm not sure how we are going to do that without new bodies. Oliver Holmes has been a disaster of a signing, and the lack of quality prop signings is bordering on negligence. 

But we can play better than that, and we won't play a team as sharp as Wigan every week. But I think the best we can hope for is to be best of the rest. 

Powell was at Leigh last Sunday no doubt on a scouting mission, there are some bodies there that would improve Warrington at Leigh but they are not available at the moment without what I think would be transfer fee offers that could not be refused but saying that Leigh have their own agenda to complete this season and I couldn't see Mr Beaumont releasing anyone, where else can Warrington recruit from this season, so apart from going to the southern hemisphere where are the required player's going to come from?

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Individually, Warrington still have plenty of talent. Can Powell make them work as a unit? He hasn't yet, but it doesn't mean he won't.

I bet Steve Price is having a little chuckle to himself considering the criticism he was recieving as the Wire coach.

• Like 2

On the edges if you are defending man for man don't turn your shoulder to the inside runner leave him to his marker.Back row forward should slide across to help the outside backs.And don't get caught between two attacking players in no mans land.Move towards the attacking player don't stand and let him run at you make him have to beat you.Wire seem a bit lost at the moment they need to find their identity and stick with it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I bet Steve Price is having a little chuckle to himself considering the criticism he was recieving as the Wire coach.

Sometimes you have to crack a few eggs etc. 

Price had his chance, and apart from a great Cup Final win delivered out and out negative mediocrity when it mattered. 

9 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

On the edges if you are defending man for man don't turn your shoulder to the inside runner leave him to his marker.Back row forward should slide across to help the outside backs.And don't get caught between two attacking players in no mans land.Move towards the attacking player don't stand and let him run at you make him have to beat you.Wire seem a bit lost at the moment they need to find their identity and stick with it.

Wigan did a great job in that first half targeting our left blank, where Riley Dean was defending, and King had a stinker in defence - but when we look at root cause, it points to the middle being so soft that the likes of Currie was moving further inside to add weight, leaving those lads isolated, and they weren't up to it. 

I can think of probably fewer than a handful of tackles where Wire were dominant an dput their opposite numbers on their backsides. This was leading to set restarts and then a binning. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Do you fancy the Widnes job?

• Like 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It was odd seeing Bullock opposing us. I used to think he was chronically overlooked and underused, but maybe Lam knew what he was doing. Just as Lam was right to sign French and Field… 

I probably think like you EW that there is a decent player in there somewhere. A quick look at the stats from last night show that he and Cooper were Wire's main metre men, with 8m per carry, from 11 carries each. Rob Mulhern as a comparison made 5 more carries and 15 fewer metres. Philbin made fewer carries and metres. 

Worryingly for Wire, George Williams was our biggest metre maker with 152, almost double our best forwards, and treble most of them.