Fri 29th Apr : SL Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors KO 20:00 SKY

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Wigan Warriors

Discuss the SL game between Warrington Wolves and Wigan Warriors here.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, WN83 said:

Wire have really picked up these past couple of weeks so it'll be tight. We have the slightly shorter turnaround and a big game to keep an eye on next week, so I could see Wire edging it.

Wire by 4

Yeah, be a good barometer of where we are, the pack size hasn't changed but it has being doing a bit better in recent weeks.

1 hour ago, meast said:

I think wire will win this, the tactic of passing the ball to Field can't work forever for Wigan 😀

They'll just have to pass it to French instead.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, meast said:

I think wire will win this, the tactic of passing the ball to Field can't work forever for Wigan 😀

Yeah,what is Peet thinking,passing the ball to their fastest & most elusive player,it’ll never catch on or be successful.

Looking ahead, for Wigan to be successful in the years ahead, there are clear areas for improvement. Against that backdrop, it will be interesting to see how Smith and O’Neill go and whether the pack can hold its own against Wire.The result is secondary. We already know that we can make the play offs and can’t beat Saints, so it’s all about entertainment and signs of progress. 

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Not an ideal match for Wigan the week before a semi final - here's hoping it's full blooded.

One of the marquee fixtures of the season in my opinion - looking forward to it.

Total opposite of my thinking. I was discussing last night with a mate how I think this game is absolutely ideal ahead of a big semi final. I’d rather have a big, local Derby, against a side coming in to form and who will push us extremely hard than a game at home to a team nearer the foot of the table, who we just won’t have the same motivation for and one where Field/French might have a few walk ins. 

There’s an 8 day turnaround as well, so fatigue from a big game shouldn’t be a worry and I’d like to think it’ll be a case of being battle hardened. 

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Looking ahead, for Wigan to be successful in the years ahead, there are clear areas for improvement. Against that backdrop, it will be interesting to see how Smith and O’Neill go and whether the pack can hold its own against Wire.The result is secondary. We already know that we can make the play offs and can’t beat Saints, so it’s all about entertainment and signs of progress. 

It’s great to now be in a position where we can see the couple of areas to target for improvements in this next year or two. Towards the end of last season it was a case of having too many areas to mention and whilst this season hasn’t been perfect, it’s a far cry from those last few months under Lam. 

1 hour ago, WN83 said:

Total opposite of my thinking. I was discussing last night with a mate how I think this game is absolutely ideal ahead of a big semi final. I’d rather have a big, local Derby, against a side coming in to form and who will push us extremely hard than a game at home to a team nearer the foot of the table, who we just won’t have the same motivation for and one where Field/French might have a few walk ins. 

There’s an 8 day turnaround as well, so fatigue from a big game shouldn’t be a worry and I’d like to think it’ll be a case of being battle hardened. 

Not quite sure I follow your logic on this one. These kind of local derbies are usually tough, physical encounters and mentally draining for the players just as much as physically. So while the body may recover for the following weeks game its tough to mentally be at your very best in consecutive weeks.

There's also the fact that these games tend to have more than their fair share of 'flash points' and the chances of things boiling over and players picking up bans is higher than a lot of other games.

Given the choice i'm sure Wigan would much rather be playing Salford at home this week like Saints are than playing Wire away.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

21 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Not quite sure I follow your logic on this one. These kind of local derbies are usually tough, physical encounters and mentally draining for the players just as much as physically. So while the body may recover for the following weeks game its tough to mentally be at your very best in consecutive weeks.

There's also the fact that these games tend to have more than their fair share of 'flash points' and the chances of things boiling over and players picking up bans is higher than a lot of other games.

Given the choice i'm sure Wigan would much rather be playing Salford at home this week like Saints are than playing Wire away.

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule on what is the best for everyone. I just think that after watching us in every game this season, we need more tough games to train the brain to concentrate and stay switched on for 80 minutes. There have been lapses in every game and playing at a high intensity for 80 minutes looks as much a mental thing, as a physical one. That is why I think this is perfect 'for Wigan' but that doesn't mean it would be for anyone else. Looking at Saints for example, we know they can play for 80 minutes, at a huge intensity and they have very few lapses and even if they have a couple of comfy weeks before a big game, their intensity will go through the roof in the game that matters. 

I can't be sure on what people at the club would want but I think they will actually be pretty pleased that this game comes the week before the semi and not a comfortable home fixture. 

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Touch rugby defending!

You can say that again

6 all

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived