Jump to content

Less than 20,000 sold for Cup Semi Triple Header it seems


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Do we have a breakdown of ticket sales from individual clubs?

Seeing 6,000 - 7,000 for Hull KR but what about the others.

I think Hull KR are at 20,000 now with Saints, Wigan and Hudds at -500 each.

Those Robins fans love to travel!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites


16 minutes ago, Rach said:

Blackpool - a game each on Sat/ Sunday ? Maybe 1895 Semis as curtain raisers ?

just shy of 18'000 capacity . should be  enough space or big enough to post the sold out notices without regular fans being in danger of not getting a ticket .

Dear god no! If anybody thought drunken yobs at Wembley weren't problem enough, let's stick 4 sets of fans in sin city Blackpool for a weekend. It would just be one big p*ss up. I can't think of any other merit of wanting to hold it there either? Certainly can't see how that move would make it attractive to neutral/new fans. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Dear god no! If anybody thought drunken yobs at Wembley weren't problem enough, let's stick 4 sets of fans in sin city Blackpool for a weekend. It would just be one big p*ss up. I can't think of any other merit of wanting to hold it there either? Certainly can't see how that move would make it attractive to neutral/new fans. 

Fair enough 🙂 Just a thought ..

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are three games being played.

I know there are three games but im not driving so i have don’t have any say in the matter of what time we go. That is why i will be only seeing the two mens games. When  the women’s game KO off we’ll still be travelling. I hope this is a good enough reason. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Damien said:

If nothing emphasises the women's game just being tagged on and seen as unimportant it's that. I don't even blame Josef for not knowing, or even caring as I don't see many other Wigan or Saints fans leaving at 9am to see it, but I do certainly blame the RFL.

You’ll have to see my reply to gingerjohn Damien as why i won’t be able watch it. I would’ve liked to have seen it though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I read on Twitter that the RFL are now expecting 23,000 on the day.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I would guess 22k so not too far away

Yeah my more pessimistic/realistic guess would've been 22,350 - but I'm hopeful the 1500 Wigan someone quoted was wrong and that enough fans from Leeds will want to support the ladies to further boost numbers. And who knows, if that second taxi from Huddersfield finishes the airport run in time, they could double their numbers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What’s with the moaning Elland Road’s a decent stadium.  Probably the easiest ground in the uk to get to, good atmosphere and although dated decent facilities if you’re in the east stand excellent facilities.  Rugby League fans only happy when moaning.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

They booked the venue long before they knew who the semi finalists would be. 
 

Yes, but in my mind it was a mistake.

I think the fact that two of our biggest clubs and one of the best supported clubs this season in Hull KR can’t fill Elland Rd anywhere near its capacity shows that any combination of SL clubs would have failed too.

Hiring football stadiums for triple headers just isn’t merited.

People in the main have voted with their feet here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, but in my mind it was a mistake.

I think the fact that two of our biggest clubs and one of the best supported clubs this season in Hull KR can’t fill Elland Rd anywhere near its capacity shows that any combination of SL clubs would have failed too.

Hiring football stadiums for triple headers just isn’t merited.

People in the main have voted with their feet here.

I don't entirely disagree with you - we have enough decent sized SL grounds that would've grossed higher attendance. As you said Wigan v Saints at Halliwell would've been 15k sell out and Hudds v HKR at Headingley easily 10k+. The crux of all this seems to be we need to do away with double/triple headers for semi finals - it just doesn't seem to work as well as was hoped...regardless of venue. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

What’s with the moaning Elland Road’s a decent stadium.  Probably the easiest ground in the uk to get to... 

That just isn't true on any kind of level. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

What’s with the moaning Elland Road’s a decent stadium.  Probably the easiest ground in the uk to get to, good atmosphere and although dated decent facilities if you’re in the east stand excellent facilities.  Rugby League fans only happy when moaning.

It’s a proper dump. Most of it is over 50 years old. Only the dwarves would have enough leg room in the West Stand - Snow White would have no chance 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Damien said:

@Big PictureTo put this in a different way, doing exactly the same triple header at Elland Road and having teams named Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield and London there would sell to absolutely no more neutrals than we will get on Saturday. Instead we'd be lucky to get 4 figures. Not having big city names doesn't even rate on the list of reasons why this event hasn't captured the imagination.

@DamianRL wouldn't have such strong clubs based in those cities unless it was a lot more popular and geographically bigger than it is, in which case the League wouldn't have been reduced to making the Cup Semi-Finals a double header in the first place.  If the game had the requisite popularity for that, I think you'd find that the Semi-Finals would draw very well just as the FA Cup Semi-Finals do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

What’s with the moaning Elland Road’s a decent stadium.  Probably the easiest ground in the uk to get to

Brentford is easiest for me... just half a dozen stops on number 94.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

I know there are three games but im not driving so i have don’t have any say in the matter of what time we go. That is why i will be only seeing the two mens games. When  the women’s game KO off we’ll still be travelling. I hope this is a good enough reason. 

You don't have to be interested in the women's game. I aren't yet I enjoy other women's sports such as Leeds women's Ice Hockey. 

It clashes with the championship football final day anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don't entirely disagree with you - we have enough decent sized SL grounds that would've grossed higher attendance. As you said Wigan v Saints at Halliwell would've been 15k sell out and Hudds v HKR at Headingley easily 10k+. The crux of all this seems to be we need to do away with double/triple headers for semi finals - it just doesn't seem to work as well as was hoped...regardless of venue. 

Imagine the grief the RFL would have got on this forum if they didn’t know where the semi finals were going to be played with three weeks to go. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Imagine the grief the RFL would have got on this forum if they didn’t know where the semi finals were going to be played with three weeks to go. 

Surely you just make it a rule along the lines of each semi final venue shall be determined on completion of quarter finals. Games should be played at a neutral venue and relatively equidistant* for travelling teams where possible. 

*the French are unlikely to get this treatment

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don't disagree with you on that, but that's not what we have unfortunately. I'm trying to understand under these circumstances, where else could've been selected or was even available that would've seemingly attracted more fans in your view? 

Headingley, Valley Parade, Oakwell, Keepmoat, Reebok, Deepdale, Obviously DW and John Smiths could be considered if it's done again, all in my opinion would offer a better experience than Elland Road.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Imagine the grief the RFL would have got on this forum if they didn’t know where the semi finals were going to be played with three weeks to go. 

They used to do it in football and RL all the time 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...