Jump to content

Less than 20,000 sold for Cup Semi Triple Header it seems


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Yep, the FA cup in such decline that Liverpool and Manchester City semi at Wembley for two northern teams, when there was railway engineering works and no direct trains, drew a paltry attendance of er...80,000..oh sorry should have thought a bit more before posting. 

So football is so dominant that RL fans think, if football fans don't go to their semis ,( even though they do) , then we won't go!! Eddie you are a wonderful comedian  take it up professionally. 

You don’t think the significance of the FA cup has hugely declined then pal? Well ok, if you’re a teenager and don’t know anything about football history. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

In my opinion, this illustrates the effect that free to air game coverage has on levels of paying spectators. More people will see thee games but not necessarily in person.

I have to add that I do like Elland Road. Mainly because they have named a stand after me.

Edited by JohnM
Predictive text!!!
  • Like 1

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You don’t think the significance of the FA cup has hugely declined then pal? Well ok, if you’re a teenager and don’t know anything about football history. 

No I'm 61, I didn't say it hasn't lessened in importance , but at least supporters can still get off their backsides to get to a semi final hundreds of miles away, even when both clubs have bigger targets.

 

Edited by HawkMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Another reason why these triple and double headers need to go is that Huddersfield FC are at home for final game of season. So zero chance of any casual fans from Huddersfield. 

The Huddersfield Town game has finished. It’s over 2 and a half hours until the Giants game starts. Surely that is do-able?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, meast said:

That's the same with magic weekend, you generally have no more than 1/2 the days crowd at any one time in the ground, yet people think it's fantastic to have a big stadium 1/3 full, yet slaughter Huddersfield for the same.

Generally speaking, there aren't enough neutrals or casual fans to make these events, events.

But it is different , you know your team is playing at the start of the season , there isn't a further prize on offer , you are not ' out ' of SL if you lose 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

You can't be serious. Fair enough Elland Road has its problems for this event but to counter that with "whatabout Hillsborough?" is genuinely laughable. We get it, you don't like LUFC...

Does anybody ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

No I'm 61, I didn't say it hasn't lessened in importance , but at least supporters can still get off their backsides to get to a semi final hundreds of miles away, even when both clubs have bigger targets.

Liverpool have approximately 4 million fans in the UK. Man City have approximately 1 million. Liverpool have approx 900k fans living in London alone. It's not remotely comparable. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

Liverpool have approximately 4 million fans in the UK. Man City have approximately 1 million. Liverpool have approx 900k fans living in London alone. It's not remotely comparable. 

Where do you get these figures from mate?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dallas Mead said:

Where do you get these figures from mate?

YouGov did a survey a couple of years back, where they asked "Do you support a football club, if so, which one".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JonM said:

Liverpool have approximately 4 million fans in the UK. Man City have approximately 1 million. Liverpool have approx 900k fans living in London alone. It's not remotely comparable. 

Greater London population 12 million ,900k Liverpool fans? That's 7.5 % of the whole population of London are Liverpool fans?.😆😀😃🤪🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Greater London population 12 million ,900k Liverpool fans? That's 7.5 % of the whole population of London are Liverpool fans?.😆😀😃🤪🤣

Between 8 % and 9% of the UK population are Liverpool fans, according to YouGov (the figure moves around a little bit).

In any case, the exact numbers don't matter. It's ludicrous to compare teams which have *millions* of supporters selling 40,000 tickets for a game with teams which have (at a very generous over-estimate) 50 000 fans selling maybe 6000 tickets for a game live on free-to-air tv.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it looks and sounds decent, with Saints and Wigan fans showing up well. Hull KR fans and Hudds  filling it up a bit now too. 

The £55 RFL sections are looking noticeably empty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, JonM said:

Between 8 % and 9% of the UK population are Liverpool fans, according to YouGov (the figure moves around a little bit).

I've moved around England (and Wales) quite a bit and I'd say that's more than true. Liverpool "fans" who couldn't find Liverpool on a map. See a hugely successful club, "support" them: maybe I should have done the same.

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well it looks and sounds decent, with Saints and Wigan fans showing up well. Hull KR fans and Hudds  filling it up a bit now too. 

The £55 RFL sections are looking noticeably empty. 

Two smaller stadiums would look a lot better IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, some empty seats for all the games but the noise of the crowd has been noticeable and the commentary teams have mentioned the great atmosphere on several occasions.

A composite picture of the two games would have shown a decent crowd but a double header will always have fans looking to see just their own teams game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Atmosphere sounded really good. The empty sections opposite the cameras weren’t great but I thought it carried over pretty well all considered. I’d certainly prefer two separate semi finals in 20k-25k stadiums though. Would have been bouncing at Bolton today (and closing West Upper lends itself well to the TV arc)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, some empty seats for all the games but the noise of the crowd has been noticeable and the commentary teams have mentioned the great atmosphere on several occasions.

A composite picture of the two games would have shown a decent crowd but a double header will always have fans looking to see just their own teams game.

Yes - it sounds really good - it just causes occasional visual wincing.

The product on the field is delivering in front on terrestrial though and, ultimately, that's what we need.

  • Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, some empty seats for all the games but the noise of the crowd has been noticeable and the commentary teams have mentioned the great atmosphere on several occasions.

A composite picture of the two games would have shown a decent crowd but a double header will always have fans looking to see just their own teams game.

I do think if they are going to persevere with this they should have unreserved seating - Saints have been given a prominent spot in the stadium but naturally they all left at their game. At Magic they would just be replaced by Hudds fans. 

I enjoy a full day of coverage like today but its clear there isn't a large demand for fans to attend three games on semi final day. At Magic fans are in and out and making an event of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Well it looks and sounds decent, with Saints and Wigan fans showing up well. Hull KR fans and Hudds  filling it up a bit now too. 

The £55 RFL sections are looking noticeably empty. 

Who were they actually pitching those tickets to? Nuts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just about manged to watch all three games today and you know what, they all came across fine on TV. All the games were compelling enough that the empty patches in the stands weren't the focus, and they did a good job with the audio so it always sounded lively to the TV viewer. 

I can see all the minuses of triple header for the speccie at the ground, but don't underestimate what having 7 hours straight RL on the main BBC channels does. How many times did they mention the world cup, or do a visual on it. Lots. 

We don't get lots of attention as a sport, so when we get a chance, we need to make an impact, and I think today did. Three separate games dotted around the schedule would get lost in my view. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I've just about manged to watch all three games today and you know what, they all came across fine on TV. All the games were compelling enough that the empty patches in the stands weren't the focus, and they did a good job with the audio so it always sounded lively to the TV viewer. 

I can see all the minuses of triple header for the speccie at the ground, but don't underestimate what having 7 hours straight RL on the main BBC channels does. How many times did they mention the world cup, or do a visual on it. Lots. 

We don't get lots of attention as a sport, so when we get a chance, we need to make an impact, and I think today did. Three separate games dotted around the schedule would get lost in my view. 

I don't really like the triple headers and think it is poor to have the women's final as a curtain raiser, but I do think that is a fair point in the other direction and the BBC coverage has been absolutely outstanding today. 

  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...