Hows ticket sales going for CCF

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Your claim that the 1895 is the main event (for you) and your loyalty to Leigh is touching. A few others here have said the same thing.

Your ambivalence towards the other game though, is sadly disappointing (to me).

You seem to be implying that being in one of the best grounds in the country, for one of our games premier events, is only marginally better (''we might as well stay'') than watching it in the pub.

If you and your half dozen on the 16.30 train are typical of our so called fans, it's no wonder we can't fill Wembley.

I live in hope IMG can find us some new ones.

Think you're being a tad unfair.  When you're emotionally invested in the outcome of the first game, the second is always going to be a bit meh. 

Last year I'd fully intended to stay for the "main" event (and to be a Saints fan for 80 mins), but got caught up in the euphoria of winning and ended up doing trays of Jaeger Bombs in some Wembley beer garden instead, with a hundred or so other Cappers.

The RFL still got my brass and a good time was had.

• Like 1

People pay their money and take the choice. If they don't want to sit through 2 games of RL then they don't need to and I have no complaint with that. That doesn't make them worse RL fans. It just shows how flawed the concept is.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

People have different viewpoints and not being too fussed about watching a final not involving their own club does not make someone indifferent to the overall health/growth of the sport. It isn't an either/or relationship. Fans of Fev and Leigh who choose to leave after the 1895 final have still paid the same price and contributed to the RFL coffers as much as those who stay all day, the same goes for any Wigan or Huddersfield fans who arrive after the 1895 final. You may not like it and it isn't ideal to see a portion of the crowd leave after the first final or not arrive until the second but the reality is that it should be expected to some extent when all we have is two games (finals albeit) clubbed in together with nothing else added. The onus is on the RFL to create compelling additional entertainment around and between the games in order to give people more reason to stay at the stadium for the day. Hopefully some input from the IMG partnership will see that created and the cup final day entertainment in future years will make people enthused to make a day of it rather than making them roll their eyes like this year's offering.

Any suggestions?

24 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Think you're being a tad unfair.  When you're emotionally invested in the outcome of the first game, the second is always going to be a bit meh. 

Last year I'd fully intended to stay for the "main" event (and to be a Saints fan for 80 mins), but got caught up in the euphoria of winning and ended up doing trays of Jaeger Bombs in some Wembley beer garden instead, with a hundred or so other Cappers.

The RFL still got my brass and a good time was had.

Yes the worst thing anything can do is tell people who have spent their money how they are supposed to behave.

As was said, the concept presents the flaw - fans are just fans getting out of the game what they want. That is absolutely fine.

19 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Any suggestions?

Put on things that are going to add from to the occasion - not detract from it. If your intention is to see a packed arena for the showpiece game then don't plan things that will cause loads of empty seats by 3pm.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Put on things that are going to add from to the occasion - not detract from it. If your intention is to see a packed arena for the showpiece game then don't plan things that will cause loads of empty seats by 3pm.

Come on man.

Are you suggesting that Wigan v Huddersfield is going to cause loads of empty seats? 

Only kidding, I know what you meant, but Scubby, the way I see it is, if the Challenge Cup Final isn't enough to make them sit through the interval, no dj, or dance troupe, or spotty faced pop group'll do it.

So what I was asking was, what do you think will? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Any suggestions?

I am certainly not a person that is tuned into popular culture or what a younger demographic wants so its a good thing that I'm not responsible for implementing such things. The idea of a set theme for the day proposed on a different thread with performances going on whenever play is not taking place seems a good one. Start with a mini opening ceremony for 'finals day' before the 1895 then have different performances at half time in both games and a larger scale show (a la super bowl half time show) in between the two games. Establish a proper fan park outside the stadium with things like interactive games for kids, face painting, food and drink vendors, local groups performing through the day and allow people to move in and out of the stadium to go to the fan park should the kids (or the adults) get bored being cooped up.

Luckily the people working for IMG will be more knowledgeable and capable than I in determining what it is people want and how to deliver and present it but anything has to be better than the Rugby AM posse we have been saddled with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meast said:

That was ridiculous, I had frostbite for 2 weeks after that!

I bet! I went for a cup of tea and something warm to eat at half time in the second game at one of the ends, could barely move my fingers, dropped half my tea and was introduced to lukewarm chicken balti pies...

2 hours ago, meast said:

That was ridiculous, I had frostbite for 2 weeks after that!

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I bet! I went for a cup of tea and something warm to eat at half time in the second game at one of the ends, could barely move my fingers, dropped half my tea and was introduced to lukewarm chicken balti pies...

It's almost as if double headers in winter are a bad idea... 

Yet we persevere with them....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's almost as if double headers in winter are a bad idea... 

Yet we persevere with them....

I keep being told it’s brilliant that our World Cup final is a November double header 

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In fairness your gripe was also never that it was in Winter

Yes, I am, based on how they now always seem to pan out, broadly against them on principal so we didn’t really need to get into the reality of a double header in Manchester in November.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Come on man.

Are you suggesting that Wigan v Huddersfield is going to cause loads of empty seats? 

Only kidding, I know what you meant, but Scubby, the way I see it is, if the Challenge Cup Final isn't enough to make them sit through the interval, no dj, or dance troupe, or spotty faced pop group'll do it.

So what I was asking was, what do you think will? 

If the Giants have a big lead at HT , the stadium will be nearly empty after an hour 😉

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

RL has been reduced to the bare bones for many people. More and more are fans of their club and little else now after a pretty naff few years of general malaise.

If their aren't enough RL enthusiasts or enthusiasts of the two cup final teams to fill Wembley, that isn't the fault of fans who do at least still go watch their club.

Ha I'm the opposite. I think the game as a whole is fascinating and I just can't 'gel' with the Giants whom I used to follow for. 

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

If the Giants have a big lead at HT , the stadium will be nearly empty after an hour 😉

That is tragic.

The game is blighted by these attitudes amongst ''fans''.