Sat 21st-Sun 22nd May: The Betfred Championship (Non TV) Match Thread

Give Worky there due they didn't roll over and concede soft try's under the sticks, they competed as best they could but do look a L1 side unless they can grab a few bob from a local well to do.

Ferguson just oozes class, wait til the lads match fit.

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

Give Worky there due they didn't roll over and concede soft try's under the sticks, they competed as best they could but do look a L1 side unless they can grab a few bob from a local well to do.

To be fair Brand would have had the hat trick , and the last one was off a clear forward pass IMO

6 hours ago, roversspud said:

But that's not the fault of the two clubs concerned. It's up to the others to climb up to their level, not for the two clubs to lower their spending.

I'd run with that.   If the central funds were distributed equally.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

So the worst set of results possible for chasing pack with Fax Barrow and Batley all winning. Fax are going to be on 18 points after 13 games. Barrow 15 after 13 and Batkey probably beat sheffield in the catch up. 

So we are now into effectively playoff eliminators. Sheffield will get eliminated tomorrow by Widnes, who will then lose to Bradford , who need to win 3 from four in June and hope York do us a favour vs Barrow at the end of the month. 

What a fantastic job Barrow have done growing on and off the field. This generating rev from your own ground might take off. 

It took off at Featherstone a good while ago.

Edited by Fevrover

Problem with SL is you’re either in the playoffs or in a relegation battle there is no inbetween. Just watching Football today and half the excitement is the relegation battle, we don’t have that in RL. 

If Leigh and Featherstone for example were added to SL now with the winner of the Champ next year being promoted to make 15 teams you could genuinely have a strong comp, the bottom teams don’t lose every week and end up being relegated by May, they gain in confidence and can climb the ladder. You could then have a genuine top 6, a safe middle position and a relegation battle.

It’s for the RFL and SL to find the extra funding.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

To be fair Brand would have had the hat trick , and the last one was off a clear forward pass IMO

Brand would've had the hattrick(although Ferguson actually got 4), but it wasn't just the tries that were impressive from Ferguson. At times he was just playing a different game to anyone else on the field. The skill to take the high ball under pressure on his own line, squeeze through the tackle and release Chamberlain for his length of the field try was just pure class and there were several other moments like it. 

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

It’s the smallest Town team in my 50 years of watching them, we are just getting steamrollered by bigger teams. For some reason our coach still thinks his theory that filling the pack with small mobile forwards rather than players with size and power is still valid. At one point last week we had 4 hookers on. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

26 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Brand would've had the hattrick(although Ferguson actually got 4), but it wasn't just the tries that were impressive from Ferguson. At times he was just playing a different game to anyone else on the field. The skill to take the high ball under pressure on his own line, squeeze through the tackle and release Chamberlain for his length of the field try was just pure class and there were several other moments like it. 

You'd probably expect a player who made a 30m break to set up the series winning try in State of Origin 3 years ago to stand out against a team with players who have predominately played in championship 1 throughout their careers. 

I'm shocked an SL club didn't go for him to be fair, he could be the difference in a game against Fev. 

1 minute ago, RSN said:

You'd probably expect a player who made a 30m break to set up the series winning try in State of Origin 3 years ago to stand out against a team with players who have predominately played in championship 1 throughout their careers. 

I'm shocked an SL club didn't go for him to be fair, he could be the difference in a game against Fev. 

I think everyone is well aware of what he is capable of, but i think there were always going to be questions about what kind of player turned out for Leigh today in terms of attitude, discipline and fitness considering his time out the game. Thankfully, he looked top notch on all accounts and was comfortably the best debutant I've ever seen pull on a Leigh shirt. Very much looking forward to seeing how we measure up against Fev next week.

For Fax we are playing some cracking rugby at the moment but still seem capable of shooting ourselves in the foot like we did in the first half with 2 handling errors leading to holding down penalties on our line which lead to us been down to 11 men and York looking like they could run away with it. Turning point was York attacking our line and firing out a 20 yard cut out pass on our line that only found Walmsley and Fax were back in it. I know York had a lot of players missing but other than that 15-20 minute spell I thought we dominated and looked pretty classy with the ball in hand. It opens back up the race for 3rd now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

I meant the 4 th was off a forward , and I do agree , he ' glides ' across the turf , seems capable of breaking the tackle ( yes I know it was Town we were playing ) and if he's backed up could do serious damage with the offload 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

58 - 6 FT at Leigh, 13 tries and only 3 goals for Leigh, made the scoreline dound much better for Workington.

Probably a good game for Town to rest their best players today. The 2nd string gave it a good go.

Up the Town!

43 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

For Fax we are playing some cracking rugby at the moment but still seem capable of shooting ourselves in the foot like we did in the first half with 2 handling errors leading to holding down penalties on our line which lead to us been down to 11 men and York looking like they could run away with it. Turning point was York attacking our line and firing out a 20 yard cut out pass on our line that only found Walmsley and Fax were back in it. I know York had a lot of players missing but other than that 15-20 minute spell I thought we dominated and looked pretty classy with the ball in hand. It opens back up the race for 3rd now.

A fair assessment, and a well-deserved victory for Fax this this afternoon. York couldn't set up or maintain their usual territorial control, and the interception try (followed by a re-start kicked out on the full) swung the game decisively in Fax's favour.

Neither of York's half-backs will look back at this match with much pride, whilst Jouffret and Keyes were outstanding for Fax, with Woodburn-Hall and Walmsley offering a real cutting edge.

The shining light for the Knights was the debut of Aussie Bailey Antrobus, who looked a really classy edition to the Knights, playing at Centre.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

It’s the smallest Town team in my 50 years of watching them, we are just getting steamrollered by bigger teams. For some reason our coach still thinks his theory that filling the pack with small mobile forwards rather than players with size and power is still valid. At one point last week we had 4 hookers on. 

You obviously Breed game as girls up there 😁

14 hours ago, Derwent said:

I paid a fortune for that in Vegas

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

2 weeks on the trot, pitty I'm not a betting man. 

Rick of the season so far by Billy Mountain on Sat. They went Fax 5/2 and +12 if you could get on. I don't know what their odds compiler was smoking, I'd have taken Fax 5/4 never mind 5/2.