Rugby league in strange places

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

Only Connect just now.

I think it's a repeat.

It was a Champions v Champions head-to-head.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, Hopie said:

"I can't spake!"

Beat me to it on this one.😁

Would've been funnier if he'd called MVG a "bottleless get" for missing the double.😂

I'm sure I'm not on my own in saying we all wish Mr Mardle wouldn't spake so often!

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Damien said:

Pretty cool to see the iconic Kangaroos jersey. Apparently Grayson Waller is a Sydney Roosters fan:

Judging by the ripped jeans, this was filmed in 1992.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, this is pushing it a bit but one of our number in Knaresborough mentioned to me about the Wig v Pen match. He'd watched the Rah Rah but was gushing about this match. From Rutland, this is the first time he's ever mentioned RL. This is the value of FTA on a prominent channel I think.

• Like 1

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

9 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

Ok, this is pushing it a bit but one of our number in Knaresborough mentioned to me about the Wig v Pen match. 

Ok .. very obscure rugby league reference here: in Canberra we used to have a pub called The Wig & Pen.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

Ok, this is pushing it a bit but one of our number in Knaresborough mentioned to me about the Wig v Pen match. He'd watched the Rah Rah but was gushing about this match. From Rutland, this is the first time he's ever mentioned RL. This is the value of FTA on a prominent channel I think.

I had a similar experience.

My mate said it was much more exciting to watch than the Wales v Ireland (Rara) match.

My response ''Twas ever thus''.

Suffice to say, his interest was piqued and he acknowledged a new found respect for the game and the players.

Hiding the game away, for 30 odd years, hasn't done us any favours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Hopie said:

There's an ad for Dove in which the main character is a Rugby Union coach called Kavan, pretty sure the commentary in the background at the beginning is Rugby League's own Dave Woods

Couldn't find a video of it separately but its at the bottom of this web page:
https://respiceprospice.co.uk/events/event-1832/

Thanks for that, my wife is now asking me why I am watching videos of men showering on my phone. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks for that, my wife is now asking me why I am watching videos of men showering on my phone. 

Are you going to watch the ad next? Dave Woods finishes before you get to the showering part...

On 28/02/2024 at 09:31, fighting irish said:

I had a similar experience.

My mate said it was much more exciting to watch than the Wales v Ireland (Rara) match.

My response ''Twas ever thus''.

Suffice to say, his interest was piqued and he acknowledged a new found respect for the game and the players.

Hiding the game away, for 30 odd years, hasn't done us any favours.

The challenge cup and most internationals are on FTA TV every year. Hardly hidden away

• Haha 1

On 27/02/2024 at 23:07, corvusxiii said:

There was a rugby league team in knaresborough for a while, I remember playing against them and getting a forearm smash to my face leaving me with a nice gash under my eye. They were a union team playing in the league summer season, not sure if still going. Facilities were dreadful, on a par with some of the worst rugby league grounds

• Like 1