This weekend ; Thirty year anniversary of the Melbourne mauling ; 1992 GB Lions 2nd Test win

Will have to revisit the game over the weekend ...for the umpteenth time 😉

Played on Friday 26th June 1992.  30 years on Sunday. 

Remember being in my local pub watching it .. and being an Aussie ... having to keep my excitement of the Lions equaling the series to a minimum.   😀

Be interested in people's memories of watching the game.....especially if in attendance on that magic night.

• Like 2

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

2 minutes ago, The Partisan said:

Remember being in my local pub watching it .. and being an Aussie ... having to keep my excitement of the Lions equaling the series to a minimum.   😀

Be interested in people's memories of watching the game.....especially if in attendance on that magic night.

I am an aussie and I watched it in a pub in London with equal excitement!I 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Partisan said:

I was there, what a brilliant occasion a few thousand travelling Brits in the stadium, now I know it was not RL territory so to speak but the bemusement on the faces of the Aussies in the crowd when the British Fan's were singing and rejoicing as they stood in stoney silence was a memory that will last for ever.

I was also at Lang Park for the 3rd test, which I will go into more detail and comment on on the anniversary of the game.

2 hours ago, The Partisan said:

Think I'm going to watch it again this weekend on YouTube 

• Like 1

I took the day off and was constantly ringing my work mate to tell him we had scored again and again and again.  

• Haha 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

This was the tour that really got me into RL. Can remember getting up early with my older brother to watch the games. Not just the tests but the club games also.

Also the tour of the Oudenryn v Offiah sprint race.

We played with so much confidence in that game. Schoey was great.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I was installing a shower in a property down Coltman Street in Hull but told the tenant I'd be gone for a couple of hours mid morning. He thought it was hilarious when I told him the reason why. I met up with a few pals in the Quayside pub, which was then run by Phil Lowe, to watch the game. A mate had told me he'd come down during his lunch hour to watch the second half. When it got to 0-10, I rang him up and told him the score, he upped and left his desk and joined us within ten minutes sweating profusely. The best bit was seeing people coming in the pub for their lunchtime break, looking up at the TV, and staring in bewilderment as the score mounted up and it was clear there was no way back for the Aussies.

Man, what a great day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Lucky to follow most of that tour. Arrived in Sydney the night before the first test and left the day after the third test. No doubt that Princes Park, Melbourne was the best experience on the tour. Remember in the second half the Aussies looked like they were getting a bit of a roll on but remember them spilling the ball and thinking we've got this now. Also remember "Always look on the bright side of life" echoing round the stands.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Had to work that day and I somehow managed not to hear the score which was pretty difficult to do as a I worked in Wakey with colleagues that followed RL.  Probably all those people were avoiding finding out as well!

So I recorded the game.  I got home around 5pm with some fish and chips and put the game on.  The game was just about to start when there was a knock at the front door.  I opened it to find the lad who collected the milk money.  As I scrambled to find the right change the lad said ‘Fantastic win by Great Britain today’.

To this day I have no idea how the lad knew I followed RL as I had never spoken to him or perhaps he was so overjoyed that he told every customer that night 😄😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That match has my favourite Stevo commentary 

I can't recall if I have watched the game with the UK commentary ?  Will have to check it out. 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Saw all 3 Ashes matches of that tour and the win by GB in Melbourne to level the series was tremendous with captain Schofield a standout.

I lived in Sydney at that time and followed Cronulla so the chase by ET on Offiah after the Schofield chip and run was memorable. I was with my wife( a Millom born lass) and stood with people from the Millom RL club. (banner is in the clip at the end of the match)

Only one Ashes match for me exceeded it both in excitement and post match jubilation and that was the last match of the 1970 Ashes test series when I watched GB win at the SCG to give them the series win after being hammered in the first game in Brisbane. It was also the last occasion GB won an Ashes series.

Remember getting soaked watching the match stood amongst loads of GB supporters.

Went back to the hotel to watch the match replayed on tv in the bar,may have imbibed somewhat.