Why are we going to the Moon again ?

On 30/08/2022 at 22:15, GUBRATS said:

2,000 generations to reach the nearest planet that might just have usable water , but it has double the gravity , so it would be like carrying somebody of a similar size on your back all the time 

Not happening 

So… how much would a chip on my shoulder weigh? 😉

Great thread this, a mix of belly laughs and thought provoking posts. I’m fence sitting yet, one half of me wants to boldly go to see what wonders and new inventions it might bring, whilst the other half of me is feeling quite sad that half the world is in a right mess and could do with the same enthusiasm put into trying to help.

I watched 1969 etc enthralled, and when in Florida I have watched three blast offs. Proper exciting stuff.

Could they find an answer to some of todays problems re fuel, climate, pollution?

I’ll probably be long gone before we find out, but maybe because I’m a 60s babe, I think I’m leaning towards being positive about it and hoping something good will come of it.

• Like 1

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

If Christopher Columbus was a Leyther he wouldn't have found the Atherton yet.

Edited by Padge
  • Haha 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The Jupiter moon of Europa looks interesting.

Not saying we go there tomorrow, but further exploration is definitely warranted.

Might be one for the breed of super intelligent AI robots we’re going to develop over the next 100 years.

Once they’ve resolved the epic ‘expansion vs keeping the home fires burning’ situation plaguing U.K. rugby league haha!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Jupiter moon of Europa looks interesting.

Not saying we go there tomorrow, but further exploration is definitely warranted.

Might be one for the breed of super intelligent AI robots we’re going to develop over the next 100 years.

Once they’ve resolved the epic ‘expansion vs keeping the home fires burning’ situation plaguing U.K. rugby league haha!

Compared to resolving issues in UK Rugby League, exploring the outer reaches of the universe is mere child's play.

• Haha 3

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 2 months later...
On 31/08/2022 at 06:19, Padge said:

Why go to the north pole, well going there has taught us a lot and helped us to improve a lot of technologies.

War improves technologies as resources are pumped in to making better weapons. I would sooner space exploration improved our technologies than war.

But which technologies will the Moon trip help us with. Maintaining a long term space station tests a lot more useful technologies. A trip to the Moon just tells us that we can create liveable completely artificial environments in hostile conditions. Submarine crews could have told us that 100 years ago.

I've been fascinated with space travel ever since I could understand the concept but a trip to the Moon is a PR exercise, nothing more. I remember when the US media, for years, always referred to the "ailing" MIR space station, which had been up there for maybe 10 years. I always thought, "But it's been ailing away for 10 years and there are still people up there, and coming and going. The longest ever USA manned space flight was less than 3 months."

how long does it take to get to Mars? thought it would be a good idea to have 2 weeks in gran canaria this year but as it turned out 10 days was more than enough before I was ready for home 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

how long does it take to get to Mars? thought it would be a good idea to have 2 weeks in gran canaria this year but as it turned out 10 days was more than enough before I was ready for home 

Months by rocket . Years on a coach trip out the local paper

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Months by rocket . Years on a coach trip out the local paper

have always been intrigued by those coach trips but never actually made the commitment for a day out at chester zoo or bury market as of yet

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

57 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

have always been intrigued by those coach trips but never actually made the commitment for a day out at chester zoo or bury market as of yet

There was a guy on the radio last year , he was from Stoke on Trent , holidaying in Llandudno , he and his missus went on a ' Mystery coach trip ' , ended up at Trentham Gardens 200 yards from where he lived 😂

• Haha 2