Hull Live

JohnM

It's the RFL's fault that players break the rules? They should let players off if they're retiring? Wakefield's players are to blame for Litten being punished?

Poor old Hull KR, who bleated about wanting an elite academy?

This is another new low.

Edited by RigbyLuger

I find myself disagreeing with more and more of Shaw’s opinions. I thought he had potential to be one of the better journalists in the sports but he’s gone well off the boil and blaming the sport for banning players who committed banning offences is a particularly new low. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You may or may not agree with some of the MRP's decisions this year, and I think most of us are dissatisfied with some of their judgements and inconsistency.

But that take from Matt Shaw is, not for the first time recently, utterly laughable. Is he deliberately trying to not be taken seriously?

• Thanks 1

What an odd article. Talk about playing to the gallery and forgetting that everyone else can see you.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Should a full time rugby league club be forced to play three games in eight days?

Salford had to do it and decided not to play one of the games. warrington awarded 24-0 win and Salford hit with £15,000 fine

Salford forced to forfeit game with Warrington due to having just 13 fit men – TotalRL.com | Rugby League Express | Rugby League World

Just now, RigbyLuger said:

Those counting the pennies would think so. But that's a seperate argument. Or course they shouldn't, but this hasn't snuck up on them as a surprise either.

It hasn’t but as you say, it was a decision made by bean counters. We saw in 2020 that games couldn’t be fulfilled through injury, illness and suspension, I’m not sure why they thought it would be better now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

It's the RFL's fault that players break the rules? They should let players off if they're retiring? Wakefield's players are to blame for Litten being punished?

Poor old Hull KR, who bleated about wanting an elite academy?

This is another new low.

Rovers aren't whinging. They're dealing with the cards they have. 

3 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Salford had to do it and decided not to play one of the games. warrington awarded 24-0 win and Salford hit with £15,000 fine

Salford forced to forfeit game with Warrington due to having just 13 fit men – TotalRL.com | Rugby League Express | Rugby League World

That's totally different though surely - I don't think reserves/academy lads had a competition to play in 2020, they do in 2022.

Edited by FearTheVee

This thread shows that Matt Shaw is getting the desired results. The 'Reach' group, in fact any online media organisations rates their journalists by how many 'clicks' they get and in turn, how much website / ad revenue is collected. That's what makes money.

It's also what makes reputable journalists write desperate things designed to provoke a reaction. I doubt he believes half of the guff he writes, but that's what he has to do to make a living and to avoid having to justify his salary to the top brass at Reach.

As a result, we get a large volume of articles (more clicks) with ever declining quality (because that's not relevant to media organisations).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chris22 said:

This thread shows that Matt Shaw is getting the desired results. The 'Reach' group, in fact any online media organisations rates their journalists by how many 'clicks' they get and in turn, how much website / ad revenue is collected. That's what makes money.

It's also what makes reputable journalists write desperate things designed to provoke a reaction. I doubt he believes half of the guff he writes, but that's what he has to do to make a living and to avoid having to justify his salary to the top brass at Reach.

As a result, we get a large volume of articles (more clicks) with ever declining quality (because that's not relevant to media organisations).

Nobody is clicking on advertisers (except by accident) because of clickbait. It's a failing metric and it's no wonder that media companies that use it are struggling.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 02/09/2022 at 16:28, FearTheVee said:

That's totally different though surely - I don't think reserves/academy lads had a competition to play in 2020, they do in 2022.

We were fined 1£5,000 for it so there are consequences regardless

Good god that's appaling journalism, it could be copied and pasted off a facebook group or indeed on here but has been allowed to be published by a 'national media' outlet?

This is my favourite!!

and everyone accountable for this situation should be accountable.

Edited by daz39