Jump to content

Fri 9th-Sun 11th Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

I think postponing games in the immediate aftermath of HM's death was the right and respectful thing to do. 

Have we done that before? We didn't do it for the Princess of Wales or Prince Philip or King George VI.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


19 minutes ago, Griff said:

Have we done that before? We didn't do it for the Princess of Wales or Prince Philip or King George VI.

Diana and Philip weren't head of state. I wasn't alive in 1952, so I've no idea. I know that some cricket and Rugby Union games were suspended, but can't find any information about RL.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Bulls v Widnes.

Both former World Champion clubs.

9th v 8th in the Part-Time League.

The Table shows that the Bulls are now the 12th best team in Yorkshire.

Both teams playing with Kear's gameplan.

Playing on a tennis court with concrete bollards running alongside the touchline.

I tip the Bulls to win and I will buy advance 2023 season tickets this week.

Yes, obviously, I'm stupid.

The very definition of a fan. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Diana and Philip weren't head of state. I wasn't alive in 1952, so I've no idea. I know that some cricket and Rugby Union games were suspended, but can't find any information about RL.  

All games played first leg of challenge cup on 9th 3 days after his death then second leg on 16th day after his funeral

Sat 09 Feb 1952 Rochdale 7 Featherstone 8 Athletic Ground

Sat 16 Feb 1952 Featherstone 17 Rochdale 2 Post Office Road

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, POR said:

All games played first leg of challenge cup on 9th 3 days after his death then second leg on 16th day after his funeral

Sat 09 Feb 1952 Rochdale 7 Featherstone 8 Athletic Ground

Sat 16 Feb 1952 Featherstone 17 Rochdale 2 Post Office Road

We've always had games on the weekend after a monarch's death.  Apart from Edward VII, who died in the summer. 

It's a myth that there was some lengthy mourning period in the past.  

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Just a thought with the Queens funeral next Monday this will throw a spanner in the works of Premier showing a playoff game on that Monday as I can't imagine any games will be played.

I don't see why not. How long does this funeral take?

  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Just a thought with the Queens funeral next Monday this will throw a spanner in the works of Premier showing a playoff game on that Monday as I can't imagine any games will be played.

No games will be played out of respect. Also it wouldn't feel right going to the game on the same day.

It should be possible to re-arrange the game. 

I thought the Saturday play off game was the one on tv though? I haven't checked so I may be wrong.

My club will be playing, though not sure if home or away or on tv yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/09/2022 at 18:58, Wolford6 said:

Bulls v Widnes.

Both former World Champion clubs.

9th v 8th in the Part-Time League.

The Table shows that the Bulls are now the 12th best team in Yorkshire.

Both teams playing with Kear's gameplan.

Playing on a tennis court with concrete bollards running alongside the touchline.

I tip the Bulls to win and I will buy advance 2023 season tickets this week.

Yes, obviously, I'm stupid.

Good to know i wont be the only one there next season.  Thats at least 2  of us!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Niels said:

No games will be played out of respect. Also it wouldn't feel right going to the game on the same day.

It should be possible to re-arrange the game. 

I thought the Saturday play off game was the one on tv though? I haven't checked so I may be wrong.

My club will be playing, though not sure if home or away or on tv yet. 

Both games are scheduled for tv. 📺

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Niels said:

No games will be played out of respect. Also it wouldn't feel right going to the game on the same day.

It should be possible to re-arrange the game. 

I thought the Saturday play off game was the one on tv though? I haven't checked so I may be wrong.

My club will be playing, though not sure if home or away or on tv yet. 

It'll all come out in wesh!

Edited by Fevrover
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Just a thought with the Queens funeral next Monday this will throw a spanner in the works of Premier showing a playoff game on that Monday as I can't imagine any games will be played.

If it's the Fax game that's selected, I'd suggest pushing it back 3 or 4 days to the Thursday or Friday evening to give them more time to recover from today's Fev game. See, us Fev fans are really considerate. 😉

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Niels said:

I thought the Saturday play off game was the one on tv though? I haven't checked so I may be wrong.

September 18-19 - Elimination Play-Offs (3rd v 6th, 4th v 5th) – one match to be shown live on Premier Sports on September 19 at 745pm 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Barrow are winning 20-30 in the final few mins so HUGE CONGRATULATIONS in finishing the season an astonishing 4th 👏👏👏

 

Batley won’t fancy the away game in Barradise as much as we do but it’s anyones game on the day.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably the biggest win of Barrows season! Doing it with only 2 props - one playing 77 mins and the other the full 80 - is mightily impressive. Hopefully we will get another couple of bodies back before the play off semi. Should be a belter. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jarc said:

Probably the biggest win of Barrows season! Doing it with only 2 props - one playing 77 mins and the other the full 80 - is mightily impressive. Hopefully we will get another couple of bodies back before the play off semi. Should be a belter. 

We also had 1 forward on the bench and our starting second rower got injured after 5 mins and didn't come back on. 

Got absolutely dominated in that game. We just won with nothing more than determination. London I think are 3 or 4 top players off being challenging for play offs. 

Should be a great occasion playing Batley at home, first championship play off game in the best part of a decade. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fax 22 Fev 24 plenty to keep both sets of supporters going as Mr Kendall gave an “erratic” performance 

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...