If the Queen dies

johnh1

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

How can a 9/10 day period of mourning be forced upon us? surely that is akin to a far east communist state than a free, democratic one?

Yes i get it's a massive thing and for the majority of people alive today it's our 1st experience of a monarch dying, i liked the Queen, not too fussed about the rest of them but she seemed like a fun, happy person, would she have wanted the country to stop for over a week?.

I get the need for mourning but come on, it isn't 1936 where there was literally nothing to do back then but go to work and stay in your house, life and the world has changed and it cannot just stop without it having a detrimental effect.

Play the games and let individuals decide if they want to attend or stay at home and watch BBC and mourn.

RIP Your Majesty!

As others have said, nobody can force you to mourn.

Organisations will decide for themselves whether to cancel events or not. There is Government guidance, but it is just guidance and can be ignored. It is of course possible that logistics as well as consideration of perceived decency will play a roll in those decisions (if for example extra police are required for crowd control away from sport), but the RFL and others aren't being forced or required by any law regarding mourning as far as I can see.

In authoritarian countries such as those you refer to, there may well be some form of legal requirement to close things down in similar circumstances. If you were in those countries you are also less likely to have the freedom to express your dislike of such requirements (or even guidance) on, for example, an internet forum.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Reported in The Athletic this morning:

Reasonable guidance. 

From other reports, it sounds like the major sports are discussing when to resume with the aim of all moving together. Safety in numbers as it were. This guidance will allow that.

Blanking out the whole weekend seem too much, and would raise criticism, and I'm not sure an extra day will make a difference, so I'd expect most to restart on Saturday with appropriate marks of rememberence. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Reasonable guidance. 

From other reports, it sounds like the major sports are discussing when to resume with the aim of all moving together. Safety in numbers as it were. This guidance will allow that.

Blanking out the whole weekend seem too much, and would raise criticism, and I'm not sure an extra day will make a difference, so I'd expect most to restart on Saturday with appropriate marks of rememberence. 

If the funeral isn't going be until Monday 19th September then there is no reason games can't go ahead this weekend in my opinion. As you say I think sports will move together on this and none will wish to be seen to do the wrong thing.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

The more I reflect the more I think after today we have to get back to normal and go ahead with all scheduled sport . You can show your respects but you can’t grind to a halt . The Queen herself was the epitome of stoic carry on and move forward 

Agreed, just  a simple  2 mins silence with black arm bands would have been enough, its gone completely over the top,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Yep.

Just to look on the bright side for a moment, it saves me a trip to Sheffield.

• Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, owls said:

Agreed, just  a simple  2 mins silence with black arm bands would have been enough, its gone completely over the top,

All football at all levels is now suspended until Monday at the earliest. That includes kids Saturday morning training sessions.

Absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Blind side johnny said:

Yep.

Just to look on the bright side for a moment, it saves me a trip to Sheffield.

It's what she would have wanted for you...

• Haha 5

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, gingerjon said:

All football at all levels is now suspended until Monday at the earliest. That includes kids Saturday morning training sessions.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I think they are remembering the post-Diana insanity and the aggressively competitive grieving, and maybe over-reacting.

Still, some Football fans may decide to watch a bit of RL over the weekend. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

My daughter asked could she play on her Switch last night.  I told her to have some respect and sent her to bed immediately. 

Quite right too.  We can all carry on working but we can't enjoy ourselves afterwards.  It is a lesson she needs to learn.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A bit biased, but I'm concerned because my team - Barrow Raiders - is away at London on Sunday. We need to win it to get a home tie in the Championship playoffs.

If it's left to individual clubs and London decide call it off (they have nothing to play for, like Sheffield and Dewsbury) it should be forfeit. There's no chance of fitting it in later on.

Some clubs will have similar concerns, others less so. 

The RFL have a bit of a tightrope to walk here.