Matty Smith retires.

Futtocks

A fine team player, who worked really well in combinations with other halves, rather than starring on his own. His partnership with Blake Green at Wigan was probably the peak in this respect.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every team needs someone who isn't flashy but improves everyone around them. He was just that to an elite level.

He's generally gone well for Widnes in recent years albeit in a mediocre side. He's been asked to carry the game to the opposition on his own too many times which was never his game. With better players around him he would have been able to show his quality more.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Every team needs someone who isn't flashy but improves everyone around them. He was just that to an elite level.

He's generally gone well for Widnes in recent years albeit in a mediocre side. He's been asked to carry the game to the opposition on his own too many times which was never his game. With better players around him he would have been able to show his quality more.

To cap off his career he’ll have to do the naked run having not got a try this year 😂😂😂

On 12/09/2022 at 19:57, Futtocks said:

Have to say (as well as congratulations to Matty Smith on his career of course), Wigan do these things particularly well.  He last played for Wigan 6 years and 5 clubs ago but it was nice to see them recognise him.

I think these things make a difference in the long run for a well run club.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Have to say (as well as congratulations to Matty Smith on his career of course), Wigan do these things particularly well.  He last played for Wigan 6 years and 5 clubs ago but it was nice to see them recognise him.

I think these things make a difference in the long run for a well run club.

They also Tweeted a Happy Birthday message today to both Denis Betts and Stuart Fielden. Their social media people are on the ball with the little touches, as usual.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is no doubt in my mind that he was an excellent player and club servant. For be be it for me, though, as someone who could hardly pass or kick a ball or make a tackle, to be critical, but he was somewhat inconsistent and a bit random with his grubber kicking.  I wonder how he'll make a living now?